What's new

Newbie speaker dilema...HELP! (1 Viewer)

TomCL

Grip
Hi All,

Here's my problem:

I just bought two front L and R speakers for a 7.1 home theater system: Infinity Primus 150.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...d=PRIMUS150BKS

They will have to be mounted on the wall, and they have basic mounting brackets (will attach to two screws in the wall). They will be 10' apart, forming the usual triangle fom the listening area. My room is 12' x 22'.

HOWEVER, I'm now reading about the positive effects of toe-in, which you can't do with the Primus 150's. Only the smaller Primus 140's will attach to a swivel mount.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...d=PRIMUS140BKS

So, do I trade the 150's in for the 140's and two mounts and sacrifice a little bass for the ability to toe in ...or... forget the toe-in all together? What would you do?

Thanks!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Assuming your 7.1 system includes a sub, then any loss of bass from your primaries would not be a factor. I'd say definitely go with the speakers that give you the flexibility you feel you need. The worse thing is to be sittng in your sweet spot watching a really good movie and all you can think about is what you believe you are missing, whether you really are or not! The "wish I had" factor is a BIG one according to perception..... my sig kinda sums it all up.....
The main thing here Tom, is to ENJOY your system. Any tweaks you employ simply add to your enjoyment, if only in your perception. Your post leads one to believe that you are into the simple tweaks that make home theater really fun......

Shane Harg

Second Unit
There is no reason you can't use swivel mounts with those speakers, unless you are squeamish about drilling some holes in your speakers. I would rather keep the speaker I intended to have and modify it to do what I wanted it to do, than compromise for a lesser speaker. You shouldn't have to drill all the way through speaker cabinet, either. Just drill some pilot holes (1/2cm deep, say) and use short screws.

My speakers came with what amounted to ridged picture frame mounts. I used the stock mount holes and screws to accommodate aftermarket swivel mounts. I had to drill into my center speaker, however (which I hated to do) to install the swivel mounts, but I am glad I did it, because I was able to put the speaker is in the position where I imagined it and it looks and sounds great. I am a little disappointed with the aftermarket mounts themselves, however. They are a little flimsy. Look into Omnimount. I had a pair of these while living in America and they were rock solid. They come in 10, 20 and 30 lb. ratings. I believe you'll need the 20s.

TomCL

Grip
Do you think it matters that the L and R speakers would have a smaller bass driver than the center (if I went with the 140's)? I'll probably get the Primus C25 (5.25" drivers) vs. the 4" rivers of the 140's.

TomCL

Grip
So which would be more important?:

1. Matching the center bass driver size

or

2. Being able to Toe-in

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I think if your center and front come from the same company and are the same series, you'll be fine, as long as you calibrate.

IMHO, toe-in is more important for music than it is for movies, in order to create that "sweet spot." I generally want a wider soundstage for movies (especially with the presence of a center), hence less toe-in, if any at all, depending on how far apart the front speakers are. My fronts are about 8' apart and about 1 1/2' from the side walls. As a compromise, I have them toed in slightly, because movies/music runs about 50/50 with me.

In your case, with the speakers 10' apart and 1' from the side walls, you may want to consider bringing the front speakers a little closer together, as opposed to toe-ing them in. Just another option.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
No, I don't think forming an equilateral triangle between your front speakers and the listening position is nearly as important as using good sense in positioning and calibrating for best sound. This may take some trial and error and a good amount of patience, but it pays off in the end.

If you have one of the latest receivers, which sports a good auto setup (calibration) feature, positioning and brand matching becomes even less of an issue.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
No, I don't think forming an equilateral triangle between your front speakers and the listening position is nearly as important as using good sense in positioning and calibrating for best sound. This may take some trial and error and a good amount of patience, but it pays off in the end.

If you have one of the latest receivers, which sports a good auto setup (calibration) feature, positioning and brand matching becomes even less of an issue.

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks