What's new

System setup & Speaker help Please. Thank you! (1 Viewer)

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping I could pick some of your brains about a setup and speakers. Ive had HTB's in the past but the Frankenstein set of equipment I have now requires knowledge beyond my home theater aptitude so I would really appreciate some help, if possible. I have:

A) VSX-1131 Receiver
B) 1 Front, 1 Mid Surround, 1 Rear surround speakers from this set: ONKYO SKS-HT750 HTB
C) 230 Watt Sub from the same ONKYO HTB
D) 2 Front Bookshelf speakers model: Goldsky 525D which my cousin gave me.

Currently I have the Goldsky bookshelves setup as Fronts, the Onkyo Front as center & other two Onkyo surround speakers as surround in a 5.1 system.

Now recently a friend was upgrading & gave me his Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 (He gave me the 5 speakers, but kept the Sub from the set)

So if you guys/gals could please educate me:

1) What would be the best configuration using those speakers. My VSX-1131 can do 5.1, 5.2, 5.1.2, 7.1 & 7.2. (ATMOS OR 7.1)??
My living is shaped in a 17' x 10' Rectangle with my current 5.1 setup looking something like this DESIGN. I do have space behind the listening position. (Currently have the two 5.1 surrounds speakers about 3 to 4 feet behind the listening position) ??

2) But more importantly which speakers to use in what position ??

3) I searched and scoured the internet but cannot find any information on the two Goldsky 525D speakers I have. Not even basic info. They sound pretty good but I have no other info except for the sticker in back which lists power at 20 - 250 watts, Frequency Response at 50Hz to 20,000Hz & sensitivity at 90db (+/- 2db). Just listing this as informational.

4) I don't have the calibration Mic for the VSX-1131 receiver. I tried ordering one but not available except for 1/2 guys on ebay but way to expensive for just the mic. I did order & just got the
APM7008 Calibration MCACC Microphone which seller said will work for my receiver but obviously he's the seller. Would this MIC be okay for Calinration??

4) Anything other info you could offer??

I truly appreciate your thoughts and help with this. Much obliged.

- Mark

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since the Definitive speakers should be a big step up from the Onkyo HTB speakers and since you should not mix them because of tonal reasons. I would just run the system in a 5.1 configuration. While it is important to keep the same brand and model series for the fronts and surrounds. It doesn't matter what brand sub you run so you can use the Definitives and use your Onkyo subwoofer for the sub unless yo have a second subwoofer laying around. If you feel comfterable adjusting the settings you could do that yourself or hire a calibrator as the internal calibration in the receiver doesn't always get it right and fine tuning is almost always needed anyway.

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Since the Definitive speakers should be a big step up from the Onkyo HTB speakers and since you should not mix them because of tonal reasons. I would just run the system in a 5.1 configuration. While it is important to keep the same brand and model series for the fronts and surrounds. It doesn't matter what brand sub you run so you can use the Definitives and use your Onkyo subwoofer for the sub unless yo have a second subwoofer laying around. If you feel comfterable adjusting the settings you could do that yourself or hire a calibrator as the internal calibration in the receiver doesn't always get it right and fine tuning is almost always needed anyway.

Thank you Dave, much appreciated. Since the ProCinema are from a 5.1, if I wanted 5
1.2 or 7.1, would even purchasing 2 additional speakers not be an option due to "tonal" issues you mentioned?

Additionally, excuse my ignorance, but can "tonal" issues be mitigated at all via calibration or method? I ask as although I can't find any info or critique about the two front Goldsky speakers, they do sound really good so I was hoping I could either do 7.1 or atmos.

Thank you again Dave.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not feel you can mitigate tonal issues with the eq. Someone else may know something I do not but while you can tweek the digital eq that will not change the sound you get from a type of tweeter or midrange and cause them to match plus differences in crossovers. You could track down matching speakers to add and use them for more surrounds and Atmos but I would highly recommend same brand and within model range. You could still do it but you risk not having smooth transitions from speaker to speaker if you mix brands and model ranges in your system. As far as subwoofers go you can get away with different brands like I was saying earlier. Normally you would use the same subwoofer if you run multiples but I feel you can get away with different size subs together as long as they are properly placed and set up.

Your Welcome

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Thank you Dave. Although the receiver setup allows me to chose crossovers individually for each speaker, I have no clue how much that actually fixes, if anything. And more importantly, the part of your explanation

" While you can tweek the digital eq that will not change the sound you get from a type of tweeter or midrange and cause them to match."

perfectly crystallized everything for me. That makes perfect sense, since speakers are made differently, use diff materials, etc etc. Perhaps akin to trying to get the same "voice" from 2 persons.

I read some negative critique online about the procinema promonitor 60 speakers I now have. Are they that much better than the Onkyo's?

Thank you again Dave, the information you provided was incredibly helpful & made things crystal clear for me.

Mark

p.s. In respect to brand, I've had mismatched subs in the past & precisely as you stated, location fixed any issues.

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
You could track down matching speakers to add and use them for more surrounds and Atmos but I would highly recommend same brand and within model range

Hello

I would appreciate some help. So I followed [Dave's] suggestions and setup the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60's as a 5.1 system with the VSX-1131 Receiver. Got rid of the other (mismatched in respect to brand) speakers.

I then made an impulsive purchase (open box so much cheaper) of a Def Tech ProCinema 1000 Center speaker , which now leaves me with the pro cinema 60 center as an extra.

Anyhow, so two questions I would appreciate if anyone could help with (especially Dave if you happen to read this & have a minute:

1) Since my receiver supports 5.1.2, if I get another Pro Cinema speaker, can I pair it with, the now extra pro cinema 60 Center speaker & use them for the height speakers? Or perhaps move the extra center speaker to another position?

2) Also I know have an opportunity to buy a pair of Def Tech BP-6 Tower Speakers someone is selling at a great price. Would it make sense for me to buy them & use them as fronts, replacing the current Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 fronts? And if so, take the Two Cinema 60's & move them to Height speakers?

Please forgive my ignorance, trying to learn. I've only had HTB's previously. Really appreciate the help, thank you.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
1) Yes, you could use 2 cinema 60's as either height or rear speakers with your VSX-1131. (Or as rear speakers because that receiver is actually 7.1.2.) I'm not positive how centers will sound in that location, but it's most likely better than nothing.

2) Yes, those BP-6's will sound better that the 6D's (I'm assuming you means 6D, as I couldn't find a 60), especially in the low end, but even the mid-range will be better. Also, if I read it correctly, yo udon't have a sub yet; if true,the towers will definitely help.

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
1) Yes, you could use 2 cinema 60's as either height or rear speakers with your VSX-1131. (Or as rear speakers because that receiver is actually 7.1.2.) I'm not positive how centers will sound in that location, but it's most likely better than nothing.

2) Yes, those BP-6's will sound better that the 6D's (I'm assuming you means 6D, as I couldn't find a 60), especially in the low end, but even the mid-range will be better. Also, if I read it correctly, yo udon't have a sub yet; if true,the towers will definitely help.

Thank you very much Al.Anderson. I appreciate your input.

I would love to setup the 7.1.2 you mentioned, however the small print of the reciever stipulates that I can only do a 5.1.2/5.2.2 or a 7.1/7.2 but not 5.1.4/5.2.4 or 7.1.2/7.2.2.

I am using a subwoofer, a Defintive Powerfield subwoofer. I also have an Onlyo subwoofer currently not being used.

In summary I have:
A) 5 pro cinema 60 speakers (1 pro cinema 60 center & 4 promonitor 60's) And yes they are pro Cinema 60's not 6D's. Here is the link: Def Tech Cinema 60's
B) 1 pro Cinema 1000 Center speaker, this one: cinema 1000 Center

I am still learning all the nuances & so I did not pull the trigger on purchasing the Def Technology BP-6 because I hadn't gotten any input here, until I saw your post. I will email the guy to see if he still has it.

All that said, I now have a 5.1 setup. And I have an extra speaker, the pro Cinema 60 center which I replaced with the Cinema 1000. So going to a 5.1.2 or 7.1, I was trying to figure out if I can purchase one more def tech speaker to pair with the extra Cinema 60 center using them as rear surround or height? Or if that somehow may be a mismatch & I should really purchase two additional def tech speakers (any suggestions on what two to buy if I can't get the BP-6's)?

Thank you again and again really appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks