What's new

Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

Lin

Grip
I am setting up my home HT for the first time. I have a Denon 3804 and the Rocket ELT 5.1 home theater speaker package which comes with a small sub woofer. How do I hook the different components together and what kind of cables do I need. I understand that the TV comes with a HDMI cable. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am getting a new Vivetek 37" HD TV with the following:

Features:
Dual ATSC and NTSC tuners for hi-definition viewing
Picture-In-Picture (PIP) and Picture-Outside-Picture (POP) support
Faroudja DCDi (Directional Correlation De-interlacing) and True Video Enhancement Technology
3D motion adaptive de-interlacing
3D comb filter
Auto cinema mode 3:2/2:2 pull down
Specifications:

37" LCD screen
Aspect ratio: 16:9 for widescreen viewing
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Contrast ratio: 800:1
Brightness: 550 nits
HDTV compatibility: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
Response time: 12ms
Viewing angle: 176 degrees H/V
16.7 million true colors
Speakers: built-in 9W x 2 channels; volume/bass/treble/balance controls; BBE & SRS option
Front Terminals:

One CVBS input
One stereo mini-jack for headphones output
Rear Terminals:

One s-video input
Two component video inputs
One VGA input
Two DVI inputs
One HDMI input
One audio output

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Lin - Here's a diagram I drew a while back for someone with a similar question. I would recommend the same wiring for your requirements, except that you will need to connect the DVD player via DVI or Component. Let me know if this answers all of your questions!

Lin

Grip
Alon --

Thank you for getting this to me. What type of cables would I need to get to hook this up the way that you have it diagrammed? and also, from what to what as far as the connections are concerned.

brandon1989

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Honicky
Hi Lin, here is another hook up diagram i found on the net http://www.monstercable.com/hookup_l...r/receiver.asp. "Monster" is the best quality cables you can buy. this diagram basically explains it all. And also, if i were you, I'd go with the optical cable for sound, much better quality. as for the picture goes...u can go with either component or HDMI. HDMI is apparently better. hope this helps. =)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Better do a search on "Monster Cables" on this site before saying they are the "best you can buy". The fact that expensive cables are even necessary is greatly debated here (depending on the application), not to mention what brand is best. Regardless of that, most agree that Monster is overhyped and overpriced for what it provides. For instance, Monster (and other cable companies) will be glad to sell you a $50-125 "Digital Coax" cable for your DD/DTS connection. That'd be fine, if there was such a thing as a "Digital Coax" cable. The truth is the SPDIF digital coax specification was written to use a standard 75 Ohm video cable; the "Digital" lable on the box just allows them to charge $50-150 for a $4.99 video cable that often comes for free with a DVD player.

Also, there is no difference in the sound of optical vs. coax, unless there is a great error in your optical->electrical conversion (very rare), in which case, optical would be worse.

Lin

Grip
Brandon --Thank you for this diagram - it is just what I was looking for. Thank you.

brandon1989

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Honicky
np Lin. Jeff, i ty for telling me that cause everyone always told me how monste is the best and so on and people aways tell me that optical is beter quality...i had no idea

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Salespersons, even if they are not on commission, are under great pressure to sell items with a high profit margin. One of the highest profit margins around is Monster Cable. Also a higher priced optical cable has a higher margin than a simple video cable. It's easy to get sucked in because you want to buy quality and the salesman wants to sell a higher priced item, so you feed off each other. But, that's why the HTF is here, so you do not have to listen to salesmen who may not have the best value for your money in mind.:)

Lin

Grip
Let me see if I have this straight. I connect the the HD cable box to the HDTV with a HDMI cable. I connect the HDTV to the Denon 3803 (I forgot that the receiver was a 3803, not a 3804) with a component cable. I connect the Denon 3803 to the OPPO PDV971H DVD player with fiber optic audio cable. Then I connect the OPPO PDV971H DVD player to the HDTV with a DVI-D to DVI-D cable, and the Denon 3803 to the Comcast Digital HD cable box another fiber optic audio cable. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

actingnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffery
Hey,

The funny thing is, I actually have the same system. I installed it like two years ago and they did not have forums like these to help me out. However I am now having some of the same problems, and I am glad that I can get help now.

I wish you all the best,

Thanks

http://www.10-free-ring-tones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks