What's new

New STAR WARS film coming to theaters August 15, 2008 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I have seen several previews of this and it looks horrible. Animation is terrible and do we really need another trip to this well??

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Why not? The reviewer is establishing a context, and like it or not, that is an accurate description of the context of this release for a lot of people.

I read the entire review, which is rather short and shallow actually, and doesn't give me a good sense of the picture.

But the opening paragraphs are just fine IMO.

--
H

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Because he's not reviewing the film, he's reviewing (and taking a side in) the culture's view of the recent Star Wars films, which has nothing to do with the movie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You wouldn't know what he is reviewing since you haven't read the review.

He is not "reviewing a culture view" of anything, he is putting the film in a context (sounding like a broken record here.) Reviewers do this all the time. He didn't spend the entire movie talking about the prequels/revisionism.

Movie don't exist in a vacuum, and a good reviewer won't pretend that they do.

Before you say something about reviewing a film on it's own merits, HE DID. I know 'cause, I read the review :P

--
H

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why everyone is saying the animation looks so bad. To me I think it's pretty damn good. Now the story might be crap and the characters might be annoying, but the animation looks fine to me.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

The people saying that simply don't like Thunderbirds look that influenced it. People have a wide range of opinions on aesthetics, so I'm not sure why people reacting negatively about the look of the animation should be surprising to anyone.

Personally, I think it is great they went in a different direction and 'took a chance' in terms of the 'look and feel'. Although the cynic in me says this was driven in no small part in effort to create a new line of toys. :D

If all the reviews I had read only complained about the animation, I would be a whole lot less worried about this movie than I currently am. Most of the reviews I've read have stuck to criticizing the story and characters. The one Slate review I read summed up my biggest complaint with these 'filler' or 'in between' stories. Ultimately, you know what happens in the larger sense, so where's the drama?

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I was excited to see this at one point, but the closer it gets the more apathetic I become.

Where's the "Shadows of The Empire" 3D-series? Knights of the old Republic, Palpatine's training? So many things they could have done, but we get a been there done that instead.

My 11-year old wants to see this so if he wants I will take him this weekend. If not I think this is going to be a rental for me this winter. Never thought I would say that about "Star Wars".

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

H:

I knew two things after reading his opening paragraphs: 1. That he wouldn't like the film. 2. That his review wouldnt be worth reading.

Thanks for confirming both of those things for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's one thing that I hope is never ever covered by in any book, comic, video game or cartoon. Some things are better left as a mystery.

I love the idea of adapting Shadows Of The Empire as a cartoon though.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I've been dying for an animated Shadows of the Empire for years. I mentioned it in the box office thread last week. It seems like people have a hankering for OT characters and there is even a "Han Solo" type in Dash Rendar. And I'm sure Lucas could convince Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to do the voice work.

I actually started re-reading Shadows again this weekend after thinking about it. Still a great read and some wonderful characters - love Prince Xizor.

Cheers,

Jason

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, Shadows of the Empire would be sweet. Didn't Lucas himself say that he wished he'd made a film of it....? I sorta remember reading that somewhere back when it was published...

But the new Clone Wars? Erm. No interest. I did enjoy the Cartoon Network series, but.... sheesh, it was enough. Why not explore the events AFTER Return of the Jedi instead?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm surprised that studios even still do screenings for "critics" Their opinion is pretty useless as far as the box office goes so whats the point?

I mean I can see some little art film getting a boost from critics, but a summer popcorn movie? Why bother?

Doug

Joe_G

Second Unit

I don't think that there was a need to bring in Burtt to do the sound design on this film. For the most part, the majortiy of the sound effects for TCW can be taken from the master tracks that were created for the PT. Whoever was heading the sound design over at Skywalker might have had to come up with a new sound effect or two, but pretty much everything else they would need is already created.

As far as Sam Jackson, I think he actually approached Lucas about doing the voice work on TCW.

Joe_G

Second Unit

Maybe everyone is comparing it to PIXAR's work, or were maybe expecting something more realistic looking, like Beowulf. I think it looks fine.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Shadows of the Empire is the only SW book I've ever read and I absolutely loved it. I remember playing the video game as well many, many years ago. Great stuff. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I would highly recommend the Heir to the Empire trilogy from Zahn. It takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi. Shadows is still my favorite, but that trilogy was excellent. I haven't read many others - though I did enjoy the Han Solo trilogy.

Cheers,

Jason

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Count me in as someone who would've much preferred a Shadows of the Empire CGI film/TV series.

Or you know what would've been bad ass? A Godfather II styled storyline that revolves around Anakin (between Ep.2 and 3) and Luke (between Ep.5 and 6) and maybe sheds more light on the back story between the Sith/Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks