What's new
World Wide Stereo

New here and to home theater (1 Viewer)

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Found this forum last night and it's good to read the ideas I've found so far on this site. I just bought a house last March and I've started working on the unfinished upstairs. I've decided to use the largest area (17x24) for a home theater/ second living room setup. This portion sits right over my dining room, kitchen, and breakfast nook. There is a raised section (roughly 8x10) due to the tray ceiling in the dining room, so I've decided to use that as my "stage" to build out an entertainment center. I'll add pictures and more information if anyone is interested. I have so many good ideas on how I want to do this and I hope you guys get as excited as I do about it!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
Mark B-E

Hiya Nike,

Good to hear about you having a new home friend, and hope your project goes well.

You are right about this site and others that have many ideas, advise and so on, that spur the imagination.

I myself have been waiting for a home of my own for about 20 aprox years and am waiting to move into my first home the week commencing 3rd March.

I! like you, will be taking my time in doing the right set up, decor and so on, and I am so excited in getting started with this.

I have been into the AV hobby since April 1998, Have been purchasing all of my equipment gradually and without personal loans, or finance over the years.

The thought of having all of this setup correctly and professionally fills me with a deep joy, as I have suffered a lot over the years with personal and family issues.

We all have a story to tell friend and yours sounds great also.

I live in the UK, in a pleasant average size town of which I love.

Look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Genuine and sincere regards

Mark
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:laugh:

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Mark for the warm welcome.
I'm trying to figure out a good image host so I can post some pictures. I also noticed I can't link any pictures till I get to 10 posts, so I plan on making a few here to get my count up.
I'm adding on an office, bedroom, bath, and the theater/lounge all at one pop. I've been fortunate enough to have family that are general contractors, licensed plumbers and electricians. I have had a hand in the framing, electrical, and plumbing so far and have enjoyed every bit.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I don't want to seem like a post whore, but I need to get to 10 so I can link pictures ;)

This week the insulation contractor is coming out to give an estimate. We've priced the materials but if he can come within a few hundred dollars, I'm going with him. Some work is better left to others.
The heat pump will be installed Friday. So once we decide on insulating, the sheet rock should be going up in a short few weeks.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
My cousin is a general contractor, so he and myself have been doing all the framing/flooring. The floor for everything but the office and theater was already complete upstairs. Luckily I had an abundant amount of insulation in my ceiling so we just compacted that before laying down the 3/4 inch tongue-n-groove plywood. We then began laying down the layout of the room and erecting the walls. Pics will soon follow to show the current progress.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I used my grandfather (licensed electrician) to help me install the wiring, which was to NC code.
We have ran an enormous amount of lighting in the theater room. I will have two rows of recessed (can) lights, a center fixture for adding ceiling fan, a set of track lighting about where the bar will be, and 4 sconce lights all around the room. Each set of lights is on their own switch/dimmer. I have been researching using the z-wave RF dimmers and a Logitech harmony remote to control the lighting as well as the electronics. If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in.
I have already ran in-wall speaker wire to the location rear speakers will mount as well as cat5 cable for internet connectivity.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I'm testing my live spaces hosting to see if this works. Should be the preliminary stage area for my entertainment center:

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
What we're looking at here is the side view of the stage area, which will have a side entrance door to get behind there and wire up everything. The room went from 24 ft to 17 ft with the stage wall being moved 3ft from the edge.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
This is after two cubbies were built to house electronics on each side of where the tv will be be mounted. I currently have a Samsung 50 Plasma in my living room and plan to add another plasma to this setup.

The floor and surrounding areas around the tv and cubbies will be covered in a black slate tile and trimmed with cherry/mahogany colored hardwood. We plan on adding a mantle above the tv and the top portion will be sheetrock with matching colore crown molding where it meets the ceiling.

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
This is the other side of the theater room that will lead to a small 8x10 office. The significance of this is that the plan is to create a door that looks like a shallow book case leading to the office as to not take away from the look of the theater.

Real Name
Mark B-E
Hey Nikemike,

First of all I would just like to say ''VERY SORRY'' for the late reply.

WOW!!.......that's an amazing project Mike.

It's good to hear that all of your family members are skilled in all of the essential trades to help you in all of this work....What a result!

I can tell by all of your pictures and information that the end result will be a success.

You may have trials along the way with getting some materials, waiting and so on, but you know as well as I do that a number of littel things raise their ugly heads on jobs like this, which can be very annoying.

I havn't received the keys to my flat yet, but I was informed that it will be from Monday-3rd to Friday that I wil get the phone call about collecting the keys and tenants agreemant (documentation to sign.)

To be honest friend, I am now getting very fed up and quite depressed about it all.

My mothers old flat also needs to be cleared, but because I have items there to move into my place, I am unable to close the door and hand back the keys.

Unfortuately things do not end there as, I am on a training course in London (20? aprox miles away,) for 4 days.

Never mind Mike'' I will get there! I have waited for my own home for 20+ years so another few days will not hurt.

Really good to hear from you and hope that your project is coming along nicely friend.

Honest and sincere regards

Mark B-E
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:emoji_thumbsup: :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks