What's new

My Quest For A pre/pro and Amp (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
so do some poeple have more then 1 amp? like two 2 channel amps or something?
oh yeah. Some people will have 7 monoblock amps. Or some will have a 3 channel amp that they use for the L C R speakers and a 2 channel that they bought later for their surrounds.

As for your other questions, there are so many different factors to those questions. Brand A amp may say 100w but that may be only with 1 channel driven whereas Brand B may say 100w but with all 5 channels driven at 20-20000hz. Brand B is going to be a more accurate number.
100w may be a lot, but that also depends on your speakers and room. What is the sensitivity of the speakers? How big is the room? If you have a very large room with low sensitivity speakers, 100w will not be nearly enough to "hurt your ears".
I'm not sure about theater speakers but don't forget they have to fill a room that is easily 20x bigger than any home theater. So that is pretty irrelevant.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
the room is 15x15 and im fairly close to the tv, about 8 feet away.

Fronts: 93db sensitivity, 250 watts powerhandling, 8 Ohms
Rears: 90db sensitivity, 125 watts power handling, 8 Ohms
Center: 90db sensitivity, 150 watts power handling, 8 Ohms

also got a rear center which is a Sharp something or other, its like a 16 inch tall bookshelf speaker, on the back it says 150 rated watts and 250 peak watts, i dont know its sensitivity.

im wondering, if 1 meter away at 93db im using 1 watt right? for the fronts

and my reciever only dishes 75x6 so doesnt that mean that my reciever can only put the speaker to like 112db at max power?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Im starting to think my reciever is turning off for other reasons and says "Check SP Wires" just because thats what it does when it turns off, i think it's protecting itself or something.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I'm not too sure about your wattage calculation there but yeah - it sounds like you're driving your receiver way too hard and it's going into protection mode.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
my volume goes from 100 to 0, 0 being the loudest, and when i first turned it on i got down to 45 before it turned off, then i turned it back on and it turned off right awya, so i turned it on and turned the volume down to 55, sat there until a bang came, so i turned it down even more, did the same thing until finally the safe volume was 70, at 70 it wont turn off but i also cant hear people talk.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I know this is a dumb question but have you checked to make sure you have all of your speakers connected correctly with pos to pos and neg to neg?? I was breaking in some speakers one time with reversing the phase at loud volumes and it sent the amp into protech mode...

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
im pretty sure, would the speakers still work if a positive was hooked into a negative?

maybe thats it because normally i follow the wire all the way to the end, well i recently brought my center and bookshelves downstairs to give them a go to see if they hissed cause im having a hiss problem (and they didnt), i brought them back up and i just hooked the wires up without trying to figure out what black and red was, i was gonna turn the reciever on and if the speaker worked i guessed i did it right, maybe i wasnt getting lucky all those times?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
THE REST OF THIS THREAD IS ABOUT RECIEVERS, THE PRE/PRO AND AMP STARTS NOW!

im runnin 6.1 right now with a Yamaha HTR5640 which is 75x6.

Fronts: Athena AS-F2's 250 watts 8 ohms
Center: Athena AS-C1 200 watts 8 ohms
Rears: Athena AS-B1's 200 watts 8 ohms
Rear Center: Sharp CP-1250P 240 watts 8 ohms

By end of 2004 it will most likely be
Fronts: Rocket RS750's or Klipsch RF-7's
Center: Rocket RSC200 or Klipsch RC-7
Rears: Athena AS-F2's
Rear Center: Athena AS-C1
Sub: SVS PB2-Plus

Budget is $3,000 or less for a pre/pro and amp.

not interested in 6.1 or 8.1 or 9.1 or any of that other stuff i am interested in 7.1 and i want an amp/amps that im gonna have for a long time so i want a 7 channel amp/amps for future proofing and a 6.1 pre/pro since there is no discrete 7.1.

Basically the only pre/pro/amp setup and i dont know of any other so any suggestions besides Outlaw i could look at? perhaps a link to the site with the suggestion?

I really want 200 watts or more goin into my fronts, and for the center and rears.....i dont know the most i can get for the money!

IF i can get a 2 channel or 3 channel amp for the front and then another amp for the rest that would be cool, if it cost more money then my budget to get amps as powerful as i want plus a pre/pro i could go through hell and get the amps first and just have it sit around and in a couple of months get the pre/pro, i cant really spend more then $3,000 at the sametime the only time i ever did that was when i got a computer.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Eh - I think you might have to go audition this stuff out for yourself and not just go by opinions now if you're going solely for wattage and things like THX Certification. There are plenty of amps that have lower power ratings than others but have better sound coming out of them. Just the same, there are just as many preamps/amps that don't have a THX Cert that sound excellent as well.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Hi Allen, if you have a NAD dealer closeby then I'd throw in the new NAD T163 prepro and Amp combo. It's not THX certified but it is an awesome prepro when it comes down to music and HT.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
how much does there AVR200.7 cost?

B&K amps are so much more expensive then Outlaw but with the same wattage, thats discouraging.

Ron Hanson

Agent
you're looking at about $2500 for a 200.7

They outlaw is a good unit. Go for that as an amp and the B&K as a preamp.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alright we'll see

but first i need more brand names these are the one's i've looked at cause there the only one's i know

B&K
Outlaw
Rotel

i made an effort to look at marantz but there site doesnt work right or something.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Ron - You said:

You're looking at about $2500 for a 200.7.

Where did you get that kind of pricing for a new 200.7?

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
That's street price used most likely.

It retails for $3500 if I'm not mistaken, so you could probably get it down to $3000 w/ an easy dealer. I think you could negotiate further if purchased alongside a new B&K Ref 50 - which usually runs at $5500 but could maybe get brought down another few hundred.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks