What's new

My Quest For A pre/pro and Amp (1 Viewer)

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I actually think that anything beyond 5.1 is overkill ... Someday I suppose we'll be talking about 20.1, but I'd have to assume that each of the 19 satellites would be cr*p.

Anyway, I should also add that I think Yamaha makes excellent products and certainly would always consider them when looking again.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Rich,

My point is wether they qualify as equal channels. Dolby Pro-Logic wasn't considered a 5.1 system because the rear channels were matrixed, and did not cover the audible spectrum. To qualify as a full channel, it has to cover 20Hz to 20Khz. And it wasn't just about how "low" it could go, the highs were missing as well. I doubt Yamaha's "Effect Channels" are any better than DPL's rear matrix. So it doesn't matter what your speakers can do, we are talking about what the amps can deliver. For all you know I may have my rear speaker outputs going to a pair of 12" subs capable of 18-50Hz connected to 3-way towers for 50H-22KHz.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Don't the formats like 8.1, 9.1 etc stand for discreet channels and not just any matrixed n.1 channels that a manufacturer comes up with? So wouldn't 6.1 be the only format available today. At least software wise thats the only 'real' discreet format thats available. I suppose if you are really looking for 8.1 receiver Yamaha would be the only option that offers these DSP modes.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Yogi,

You are correct. Program material is what determines the true number of channels, and DTS 6.1 ES Discreet is the only true 6.1 system as of yet. 7.1 amplifiers "copy" the sixth channel so that you can have dual rear centre speakers for better "fill." However, I would argue that 7.1 systems have some legitimacy since the rear amps are full range and can be used as discreet channels for SACD through the 7.1 inputs on the back of the receiver (if you prefer to use the rears for 5.1 audio as opposed to the sides, for example).

Amplifier manufacturers that claim anything higher than 7.1 through their use of proprietary matrixing technology are being somewhat misleading, in my view.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Didn't I just say that I like 7-ch. amps for their versatility in hooking up external sources (like SACD)?

Regarding DPLIIx, unless I am mistaken, there is no source material encoded in that format, it is for post-processing only.

Thanks for the Dolby link, but you seem to have missed my point. I was comparing the Yamaha proprietary "Front Effect" channels to the original DPL system, in which the extra channels are derivative, not discreet.

The original topic concerned 8.1-channel recievers, and if you were to re-read my posts, I disputed the assertion that Yamaha has TRUE, 20Hz-20KHz DISCREET channels for the front effects.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Don't the formats like 8.1, 9.1 etc stand for discreet channels and not just any matrixed n.1 channels that a manufacturer comes up with?
Yes, that's what the notation is supposed to convey. The hardware manufacturers have corrupted it for their own purposes because it's to their benefit to get people thinking they're missing out by not having as many channels as possible. The reality is that someone starting from scratch is better off investing their money in the best possible components and speakers for a 5.1 system. Most home theaters spaces aren't big enough to make good use of more than that.

M.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Cause i was looking at those Rotels and im not sure i understand anymore, the watts drop dramatically the more channels there are, but doesnt that get to the point where it wouldnt be any more useful then a reciever?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
well, depends on the amp really...but generally for the same size (weight, dimensions, etc) the more channels the weaker the output per channel...

here is a link to an open box sunfire ultimate receiver...

http://www.onecall.com/Specials.mpt?...=877&BCPID=241

slightly out of your range and it may not be on special anymore, you may have to call them...

it provides amplification for 7 channels (with a ton of power) and processing for front (they call it side effects) effects...you just need a 2 channel amp for that.

Rich

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
here an even better question, does an amp know what channels its sending to or does it not care and just send power to everything hooked up to it, cause if i can get two amps why not get a great 2 channel amp for the fronts then an amp for the surrounds, rears and centers?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
The Rotels are more conservative in their power ratings.

Try editing your posts if you want to add more info later :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
To make your decision harder, look at where we are now as oppose to where we were about 3 years ago. Logic 7 was only available on Lexicon products, expensive, and some too thought it was an expensive gimmick. But now, 6.1 is real and with a little enhancement 7.1 can sound just as real as an actual format. About a year ago, Sound and Vision had an article about 10.2 surround. I mention this because you may be one of the pioneers to buy into the next format stage. Now realistically does a home really need 8.1 channels even if 2 of the channels are created based on this receivers DSP. I don't know if I would be the first but the jump has to be made by someone. Why not get it.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was:
3 fronts fl/fc/fr
2 front effects
1 above the listener (for like fly overs)
2 surrounds l/r
2 rear surrounds
2 subs.

I believe that was the set up, but I'll check the Sound and Vision website to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks