What's new

My Quest For A pre/pro and Amp (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Well, the answer is that there are no legitimate 8.1 channel recievers, so perhaps your original question needs to be re-worded.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
when i get another reciever i want to get a yamaha, anybody know the names of yamaha recievers in the $1,500 price range? im lookin towards this RX-V3300 but i dont know how much it is.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
when i get another reciever i want to get a yamaha, anybody know the names of yamaha recievers in the $1,500 price range? im lookin towards this RX-V3300 but i dont know how much it is.
Is it possible that the Yammy is just too bright a receiver for your tastes? I was listening to some Athenas the other day and I thought they were a little bright sounding. Maybe the combination of the two are giving you more high end than you can handle?
Another thing, if you have your bass turned up to +10, you are going to introduce noise to your system. I suggest if anything, leave your bass at 0 and bring down the treble to -4 or -6.

So, if you are getting a new receiver and you arent happy with the one you have, why would you go for the same brand? There are a lot of different receivers out there, especially for the price range you are looking at. I would sugggest looking at the Denon 2803 for roughly $550 USD. Take the other grand and use that for a nice SVS 25-31 PC+ for $775 and put the rest into speaker wire so that you can get a little slack to that rear speaker.
I think you would be very pleased with this set-up, especially after you have calibrated it all.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
cause i dont like any of the other brands i just like yamaha.

where am i supposed to get an SPL meter cause i just went to radio shack and came out with nothing. They didnt even have an xbox high definitions kit!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
cause i dont like any of the other brands i just like yamaha
Seriously? You've listened to every other receiver brand out there and Yamaha is the only one you like... period ?!?
Wow, that is some finicky taste you've got there.
I'm not really sure if you're kidding or not?
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here. I just think you should give some different stuff a chance. Especially when you use terms like higher end and Tweeter in the same sentence. Mind you I have never been to a tweeter but from what I have read here in the forum, it seems like just a step up from Best Buy or Circuit city. I think if you went to some different stores and listened to some Denon, H/K, NAD or Rotel, you may be pleasantly surprised. Especially considering the budget you have set for yourself. Not that I'm ruling out the Yammy receiver you mentioned, I just recommend trying out all the flavours at Baskin Robbins before you decide that you only like chocolate.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
lol richard i havent heard them i was just saying that cause Yamaha's look cool! and there easy to understand, having THX SURROUND EX on the screen in blue seems like a turn off (im describing a picture i saw).

im gonna check out some recievers next time i go downtown, tweeter has some good recievers but i was only there for like 2 minutes to glance so i didnt get to check them out.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
maybe i should get like a $400-$700 reciever and then get a $1,200 or less amp?

My goal is to have get the subwoofer i want, new fronts a reciever and amp that will be my reciever and amp for a long time and 7.1 or higher cause i know when i finally have my 5.1 setup i want im gonna be like "damn, i need 8.1!".

I want to get to the point where im not struggling to upgrade my stuff and say "hey this is what i got, its stayin here for along time, if anything im gonna get something to add on to it but for the most part, this is it!"

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alright I changed my first post to better fit my situation right now so thats basically the question on the table right now!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Based on your new request, you might be able to go with the Outlaw receiver and amp. Check out their site by clicking their logo on one of these thread pages.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
you dont need a reciever you can just have a pre amp and an amp?
Allen, a receiver is a pre amp/processor and an amplifier built into one box. Heck, they even throw in a radio tuner to boot.
So, if you are interested in just having a single "box" to run things, get a receiver. If you interested in getting separate "boxes", then get a pre/pro amp package.
Of course with the pre/pro amp package, you will have to take into consideration the extra cables you will need. You will need an RCA cable for each channel. A 5.1 system has 5 channels so 5 cables to go from the pre amp to the amp. Another RCA cable to go from your pre amp to your powered subwoofer (which you don't have yet but soon will right?)
Then you need 5 sets of speaker cable to go from the amplifier to all of your speakers. More if you are getting into 6.1, 7.1 etc...

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
and that outlaw thing is a good package?

i look at most amps and there just boxes with nothing on them so is the display and controller part of the pre amp processor thinga mahbobber?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
ok so why get 2 seperates over an expensive reciever (im assuming the more expensive the reciever is the more you dont have to worry about it getting overworked?)

also, something just hit me that never hit me before, all they have is DD EX and DTS-ES right? so whats the point of getting a 7.1 Reciever if it doesnt have Dolby Digital for 7.1, im sure people would rather watch a movie on Dolby D EX then Logic 7 or Pro Logic IIx or whatever it is, wouldnt they?

if a format for 7.1 is comming out anytime soon (2006 or sooner) whats the point of even getting an expensive 6.1 or 5.1 even if not the above question still stands.

Thanks

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Going back to my previous response, by getting a 7.1 system you future proof your system making it ready for the new format. Hope this helps.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Will a 7.1 Reciever split up channels on Dolby Digital to put sound in the front effects? cause i have 6.1 and if i watch a movie that doesnt have DD EX no sound comes out of it i always thought the reciever makes sound come out of it by taking the 2 rear channels and mixing it.

and it make this clear, your saying Logic 7 makes 7.1 sound good just not Dolby Digital right? kinda like Pro Logic II?

if you really wanted to fullproof your system wouldnt you get an expensive 8 channel amp that puts out tons of power and then get a 5 channel or 6 channel pre amp?

and then when they actually have a discrete 7.1/8.1 get a new pre amp. Is that the way it goes? im just trying to think ahead here so i dont do something stupid.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The thing is, you could worry about futureproofing for the rest of your life and never buy anything. Sometimes you just have to say "&*%@ it, I'm buying now, futureproof be damned"
IMHO I would go for a good receiver and sub now. Then down the road if you feel you aren't getting the power you want, add a separate amp. This could be a 2 channel, 3 channel or a 5 channel amp, it depends on what you want. So, now you've started on the road of "futureproofing" because if a new format comes up, all you have to do is replace the receiver with a pre amp and then add whatever amplification you need.
Or you can buy a pre/pro amp combo like the Outlaw which is a 7.1 system. Then in the future when a new format comes out, same deal. You buy a new pre/pro and whatever additional amplification you will need.

As for the sending of info to the rear center or centers, I was always under the impression that the signal from a regular 5.1 encoded disc would be sent to the rear centers in a matrixed type sound much like the old dolby pro logic did with the surrounds.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Another thing i've been wondering, how many watts is actually considered alot to send to one channel and how come you can get a 100w x 6 reciever for less then a 100w x 6 amp?

And is 100 watts a channel alot?

How many watts roughly would they use for a speaker at a theater?

How many watts is more then i'll need to get my speakers louder then i'd ever want them to be? (to the point where it just hurts your ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks