What's new

My New SVS Twins Have Arrived!... (1 Viewer)

javry

Agent
Frank,
Where are you going to place your B4s? I have mine sitting about 5 feet behind the sitting position [for no particular reason other than that's where they happened to wind up when I first bought them. I think I'm going to move them to the front of the room to give em a little more room to breath in. Your thoughts?
Javry

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Where are you going to place your B4s? I have mine sitting about 5 feet behind the sitting position [for no particular reason other than that's where they happened to wind up when I first bought them. I think I'm going to move them to the front of the room to give em a little more room to breath in. Your thoughts?"

After am through with my initial aural assessments in their temporary location (and is going to take a while for not only do I have to accomplish this but also find the reason or reasons why the "big" HT system's audio portion hasn't worked ever since the Outlaw ICBM-1 unit took a dive on account of severe electrical disturbances--yes I know; I better do something about it! :b ), am planning to put the B4-Plus twins in the same location currently occupied by the 16-46 octet...close to one corner of the room. The latter subs will be taken out of the room since am planning to see (hear!) what the B4+s can do on their own, however.
Still, much experimentation is in order...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

I checked out the SVS threads on AVS that you were talking about. I can see your point. I do, however, understand David Bott's desire to keep things on point.

What I find funny though about his response to you is that on the high-end forum on AVS (over $20,000 and up, I believe), is that they had a thread going about a member who claimed he coined the term "home theater" for almost 2 years. All kinds of crazy, weird, and ridiculous posts were under this thread and the administrators over there, let it continue. How does it make sense to delete an SVS support thread and keep a stupid thread like this?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Jay, so it would appear that you see the obvious hypocrisy that is going on. It's ridiculous.

To say that people who post positive remarks and how happy they are with their SVS are HURTING Tom is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Talk about "spin"! :eek:

There really is no legitimate reason that I see to tell people not to post their impressions of new equipment. It seems that they want to apply a "special" rule when it comes to certain manufacturers (like SVS and other internet based companies). There is no logic to this.

It is the trouble makers who make their way into a thread clearly having to do with SVS (or any other make for that matter) only to crap all over SVS that need to be kept in line and have posts deleted. I'm not saying that they can't give their own impressions of the product, but to go into a thread entitled "SVS support Thread" or similar title just to say crap like "too bad you got an SVS, for a few dollars more you could have had a real sub" is ludicrous.

It seems that you need to be a sponsor at AVS, or let AVS sell your product in order to get on their good side. Again, AVS definitely has a certain conflict of interest because of the fact that they sell a/v gear.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I hear yah!
I am only 37 and time is already just flying by.
If I get 2 hours a week for myself I am content.

But we still want to see your PICS ASAP!!!!"

Brian KR,

Well, it seems that my attempts at picture-taking (first time in my life!) turned into a real messy disaster! Excepting three pics I took of the Isobarik subs (my former infrass system...currently relegated to backyard duty :D ), everything else came out so blurry one can hardly make out what the objects in the background really are!
I sent one of those pics to Robb so he could see what I done :b in addition to e-mailing him the three Isobarik subs pics.

Sorry, folks, but that's what happens when we rush into things without having our ABCs down to path, so can't post more pics until my "kid" take new ones for me... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

javry

Agent
I don't want to presume Dave's outlook but my guess is they've just targeted SVS as a product they don't like. Maybe it's because SVS doesn't advertise on AVS.....I just don't know. I've also noticed on other threads on AVS where the conversation goes on and on and into the hundreds of posts with the very stuff AVS claims is what they are against. Yet as soon as someone does it in reference to SVS, they go into the "delete the thread"' mode for lack of substance ...or some such nonsense. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

In the end, most of us will make a major purchase of A/V equipment at least once every 2 years or so. It only makes sense to contact a discussion group and talk about options. And once you open that door, you're bound to get a bunch of folks tuning in and giving their 2 cents worth....and given the passion of our species, there's no guarantee the discussion will always stay strictly on point, all the time. My only question is.....what's wrong with that? Isn't that what the group is for?
Javry

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Javry, You are quite correct. And Bott was a major SVS supporter, until he "bought" Velodynes and sold his SVS he raved about in Audio-Video Interiors. There is a long running Paradigm thread, Velodyne, Magnepan... the list goes on. AVS LOVES those threads. SVS and Rocket ??? ... DELETE.

He has declared SVS and Rocket,through his actions, to be the enemy, period.

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
AVS is against Rockets now?

Wasn't that where the gigantic thread on the Diva Swans started ("best speaker ever" if I recall) and helped in making av123.com so popular.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
AVS also used to be a large SVS supporter. For whatever reason , the moderator there started getting anti SVS and Rocket as each became more popular.

As for AVS making AV123.com it IS supposed to be an independent place where audiophiles can discuss AUDIO... It was the posters on the thread that made AV123 what it is, not AVS.

It also is no longer an independent voice in our hobby.

For proof, One moderator there said that Home Theater forum was "All about SVS and SVS is all you see there" ... I actually read this little snippet... and looked at the first 100 threads at the time, and 5 were SVS, 95 were others... and of the 5 SVS threads, 3 were people having a problem with hook up.

Home Theater Forum is, without a doubt, the most open forum, along with Home theater SPot.

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
After just reading a velodyne thread on here just a few days old it is good to see that there is not the same petty censorship at HTF. It will only hurt us in the hobby by limiting our choices to products that may not be the best for our system.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Will, Very well said. Velodyne makes great subwoofers, and there are a multitide of products in the world that are wonderful.

From what I have seen here, Parker would NEVER stop an enthusiastic thread such as Robert Cowan's gushing over his new Velos... (Robert, contrary to popular belief on AVS, Gushing about a new purchase is a GOOD thing, not something to be scorned) ...

The only time Parker does step in is when there is a lot of the "I hate" and "You suck" type of talk.

My biggest mistake in the past year is not starting the PB2+ and VTF-3 Mark II (2 of them) subwoofer comparison here rather than on AVS. Parker even invited me... and that was my bad.

I could have had Ed, Curtis, Terence, Jack Gilvey etc... commenting and participating... without the vitriol

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys I appreciate the kudos on the forum. We do try to keep the forum as open as possible with all manufacturers. How else is anyone supposed to make any type of formed decision if they are only allowed to talk about the products that are being sponsored on a site? That is the major reason that we have gotten away from "Official" products. The only one remaining on this site is SVS.

And do you know one of the other great things about SVS? We have been offered deals from Velodyne and other subwoofer manufacturers on this forum and we turned them down. Why? When we started out and SVS said that they would be our "Official" subwoofer we did so with the knowledge that no other subwoofer company would be a sponsor on this site. I told Ron about our offer from Velodyne and he said "Go for it!". It speaks volumes about a company that doesn't get into the "I am your Official sponsor so no other company can be talked about on your site" mentality.

They are not afraid to have the competition talked about. In fact they encourage it because if they know the competition is doing a better job than they are they go out of their way to make themselves better.

Parker

terence

Supporting Actor

Craig i always wonderd why you chose AVS, and not HTF to do the shootout, now i know why. I would not feel to bad Craig, after all you had no idea that the thread would have went south.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
It's the statements like the ones above that makes it so easy to see who the honest and open-minded people are. It's almost a breathe of fresh air seeing people that get as excited as I get about everything there is in the HT industry and don't try to bash company ABCDEFG just because of their name or how well liked they are by the HT community. Great products deserve great recognition in my opinion. As well as those companies that I don't mind putting my hard working money into because I know that they believe in their products 100%. You don't get that too often anymore...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Over the next couple of weeks, I am hoping to start a comparison between the Axiom M-80's, Rocket 550 Mark II's and Ascend 340's ... They run from $698 (Ascends with stands, normal pricing) to $1100 for the Axioms...

This could be a good forum to start the test, with links available to the other three companie's own forums...

I have also been "touring" some Brick and Mortar to get ideas on some speakers there... thus far, Only the Paradigm Studio 60 seems competitive...

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Craig:

I will say it again. Feel free to post any type of comparison/shoot outs on this forum. I look forward to seeing how the Axiom's hold up against the Rockets and the Ascend's.

Also, if you ever want to do another shoot out pitting the SV Subs against the Velo's, M&Ks, etc. that would be great too.

In the medical field we call this informed consent before going off for a test. We tell our patients everything that is available to them so they can make some sort of informed decision.

Everybody wins from these types of threads on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks