What's new

My New SVS Twins Have Arrived!... (1 Viewer)

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
From Brad Millers set up "THX crossover/monitor, 11 QSC mx-1500a amplifiers (for stage and surround speakers), 5 QSC DCA2422 amplifiers (for the subwoofers) and on top the non-sync cd player." 16 amps, Sweet!

terence

Supporting Actor

Craig i looked the thread up and pm'emd the guy to let him know he give mine a listen, if he wants to head out my way. I also told him ha can thank you for the tip. :)

It seems to me that now that someone switched brands they have no love for the subs that got replaced. One support thread left and a new popped up. Yes it sounds suspect, a comflict of intrest and something just does not seem right over @ AVS. It's all speculation right now until it becomes in your face "ovious" right?!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
I got up a bit earlier today in order to tape The Wind And The Lion in HD (HDnet Movie channel). I love the movie so had to have it on HD.

Anyway, since the PC is located in the same room (where the large HT system is housed) I decided to check AVS' "speakers" Forum. Well, wadda 'ya know! There is a huge Velodyne thread (30K+ hits) which was sanctioned by the good AVS owners themselves...and saw that "happy customer testimonials" are the order of the day! Umm...and the thread still exists.
Yet one poor chap in Australia asked why do the passive radiator on his Velodyne sub keeps on ripping, something that has occurred three times already (he replaced it with Velo "authorized parts too!). I did not see the good folks at Velo answering his plight either. Am really impressed with their service... :rolleyes:

I also checked for more SVS threads and only found two; in one a poor fellow is musing as to why his previous SVS thread was deleted...and that he only is been seeking advice about specific settings on his newly acquired SVS "tube" sub (can't remember the model).
Couple of guys answered...one from Canada (a real spincter orifice, imho, since his rather disparaging remarks to the guy with the tube sub imply having an intense dislike for SVS subs); and the other guy merely asked for some technical advice--he received one solitary answer in the form of "you got mail!"
Oh well...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank and am an SVS bassaholic..."

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
It's pretty obvious what's happened. David received the Velodynes for free (or at cost price) and then requested by someone at Velodyne to downplay the Ultra's, or limit the praises of SVS on his forum. I am positive the major subwoofer companies are worried with the likes of SVS & HSU, and other internet direct hifi/home theatre component producers.

The same thing happened on avforums and avtalk, former had/has some SVS threads removed, and the latter has extreme censorship. Only Velodyne & Gallo discussion is allowed, for example how great a CHT-15 is compared to a boomy dual PC Ultra ;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Well, someone over at AVS started a thread called "Missing Thread", basically complaining about the removal of Franks thread.

Enough people chimed in complaining about its removal that David Bott (reluctantly) restored the thread today. It's currently on the second page.

How sad that people have to complain about a threads removal in order to get it restored. Can't they do it right the first time? I know, I know, I am expecting too much....

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Rob, I love the quote that you posted earlier. Because being an elitist snob isn't immature. These forums are a place for all of us with HT as our hobby to share ideas and opinions. And to disagree. HTF is easily the fairest forum I visit in regards to HT discussion.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
GeorgeWK,

Love the shots of that girl in Spiderman (have you seen her in HD...or even better...35mm film? Wowee!! :D ).

My friend...you got too much white surrounding the screen; is being "polluted" with colors outside the gray scale, thus needs to be balance out with some, say, black felt or velour (preferably) all around it, but a dark gray (paint or draping material) will still work wonders.
Actually, the ceiling needs treatment to avoid light "splash" onto the screen too, but black ceilings ain' too cool with them ladies, so... :frowning:

Love the curio cabinet! :)

Now...where are your SVS subs, eh?... :D :D

Cheers!

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

javry

Agent
Just checked AVS to see if the "why did you delete it" thread is still active and i got kicked out. Something really strange going on over there.
Javry

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Given the answer that David Bott just gave an AVS member regarding why the deletion of SVS threads containing "happy testimonials" in his speakers Forum (in Dephoid's thread, one which is fast nearing the 2K hits)--that by posting such happy thoughts about owning SVS subs we are only HURTING people we like, like Tom V--I am hereby urgently impelled to flat out ask:

...is that so? Is it true that unbridled, unrestrained public (well, the Internet anyway) exhibitions of elation and sheer glee from the part of happy SVS products owners really hurt their business?

If that indeed is the case then I will immediately cease talking about ever owning SVS subbass systems...the ONLY audio products that have really excited me after becoming too jaded because of my many, many years of over exposure to audio equipment, both "high-end" and not too high end, for after all I have no overt intentions nor secret desires to hurt anybody's business by publicly spewing tactless or careless comments about their products...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Oops! Sorry about the double posting...can't explain how it happened... :b

-THTS

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Ok Frank, getting back on topic here, so when are you going to fire these monsters up?

In the other thread I had mentioned my wacky idea to use the 16-46s as sub-subs. You mentioned they only have a single port. While I don't know what TV's feeling on it would be, and I don't know the particular alignment, it would be possible to tune the ports lower by inserting a dowel rod or even conduit into the center of the port. You would want to come up with a method for securing it in place, but certainly possible. Just my sick mind looking for more deep bass. With the cylindar subs covering the ultra low, you would be effectively using them with more than 1/2 their operating rage predominantly covered by the port output. Figuring out the high pass at such a low frequency for these would be a small issue, but many amplifiers cut off around 8-10Hz. This also allows you some nice placement options where the tubes can be put almost anywhere in general proximity of eachother.

Just my warped suggestion,

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Ok Frank, getting back on topic here, so when are you going to fire these monsters up?"

Mark, I hope to do it on Sunday morning...providing the pre/pro I lent out makes it back tonight. If it does then I'll insert it back into the "small" HT system and ascertain a subwoofer output is indeed available in addition to performing some basic calibration.

"In the other thread I had mentioned my wacky idea to use the 16-46s as sub-subs. You mentioned they only have a single port. While I don't know what TV's feeling on it would be, and I don't know the particular alignment, it would be possible to tune the ports lower by inserting a dowel rod or even conduit into the center of the port. You would want to come up with a method for securing it in place, but certainly possible. Just my sick mind looking for more deep bass. With the cylindar subs covering the ultra low, you would be effectively using them with more than 1/2 their operating rage predominantly covered by the port output. Figuring out the high pass at such a low frequency for these would be a small issue, but many amplifiers cut off around 8-10Hz. This also allows you some nice placement options where the tubes can be put almost anywhere in general proximity of eachother.

Just my warped suggestion,"

He, he, he...I like your "warped" suggestions, Mark! :)

What you suggest actually makes a great deal of good sense to me, so am going to follow your directions closely.

I'll try chatting a bit with Tom V and see what he says about both integration of the cylinder octet and B4-Plus twins as you suggest, as well as the re-tuning of the 16-46 subs.

I believe Phil Merhand can help me with the necessary filtering, so I'll be checking with him soon.
As for the amplifier selection...I also believe it would have to be an amp that has an small FR signal close to DC so that the cutoff freq. point under large signal conditions doesn't raise much past 1 Hz in order to meet the requirements you mention.
And since I need another amp with which to drive the B4+ Black Beauty twins with anyway, might as well be one that gets me exactly what I need.

It'll be a while for all of these factors to come together into a coherent whole, though, for there exists the eternal question of money and free time availability, neither of which are in overabundant supply around here... :frowning:

-THTS

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

Actually, the easier method would be to use an amp like a Crown K2 which has an integral 8 Hz filter which might be just about right, depending on where the tuning falls. TV could confirm if it should be a bit higher. This gives you the high pass in the amplifier, so you don't have to execute this in the EQ/DSP. Something like a 2x2 DSP like the QSC unit I mentioned (and a few others) offer all of the crossover settings you could possibly need plus all of the EQ capability.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Actually, the easier method would be to use an amp like a Crown K2 which has an integral 8 Hz filter which might be just about right, depending on where the tuning falls. TV could confirm if it should be a bit higher. This gives you the high pass in the amplifier, so you don't have to execute this in the EQ/DSP. Something like a 2x2 DSP like the QSC unit I mentioned (and a few others) offer all of the crossover settings you could possibly need plus all of the EQ capability."

Aha! So that's why several B4-Plus owners are using it...and why SVS selected them K1 and K2 Crown amps!
OK, that's the amp to get then...

I'll be checking out QSC's site (I assume they have one) and see what they got in the way of crossover filtering and EQ facilities.

Thanks for the heads up, Mark!...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"so seriously, when is the expansive set of pictures going to be put online...its been forever already"

You know, when people get to be my age...things seems to go too fast. Time is one of them, particularly when one has a million things to do and obligations to fulfill; priorities must take their rightful place...

I'll post more pics when I can get my "kid" to take more of them. Then I send them to Robb for posting.
Sorry my friend, but looks like you just have to wait a bit longer... :)

-THTS

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
And I also work some pretty crazy hours, and have my own stuff going on, but I will post them as fast as I can when they arrive.

-Robb

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"And I also work some pretty crazy hours, and have my own stuff going on, but I will post them as fast as I can when they arrive."

All the more to express anew my deepest appreciation for your kind gesture!

Btw, some pics of my old sealed Isobarik subs, which now reside looking forlon and quite lonely in the backyard, will be coming at 'ya, Robb...as well as some pics of my electronics and surround sound speakers perched in their custom-built mounting "shelves," couple of shots of that same structure, the ceiling mount for the D-ILA FP (it moves front and backward on a rail system in order to adjust the image size thrown onto the screen; the pics only shows part of the mounting hardware as the rest is attached to the projector, which obviously is MIA!), a pic of the 12 foot wide scope screen (perched on the ceiling; need it up to clean around and behind it)...and the door area leading to the 3 foot deep storage area behind the electronic components' rack, etc.
I hope folks find them pics of some entertaining value.

Pics of the 16-46 octet, main and center channel speakers plus driving amplifiers will be taken and posted at a latter date...

-THTS

BrianKR

Second Unit

I hear yah!
I am only 37 and time is already just flying by.
If I get 2 hours a week for myself I am content.

But we still want to see your PICS ASAP!!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks