What's new

Movie Endings you hate and why (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I just hope the reason why people didn't like it (Contact) is because of the lack of slimey aliens.
Certainly not! It's just that the last act lost all the momentum that had been built up.

I can appreciate what you're saying. The book was like that as well although it went into a lot more detail after they returned from their trip. I read the novel after seeing the movie.

RobR

Second Unit
Apocalypse Now. A masterpiece ruined by its ending. How could Coppola mess it up?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Usually, I don't dwell too much on endings and the like, but two sort of come to mind... One is a minor thing; just a little personal bias. In Disney's Beauty and the Beast
I'd prefer if the Beast had remained a Beast. I know, I know... that was the whole point of the film...

But the one that really bugs me is Always. I rather liked this film a lot; pretty, interesting, a little fruity at times, but then -
the girl lives. That was one film that I thought really needed the sad ending. And I'm almost never an advocate for sad endings!
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
The ending of "City of Angels" with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan was a real disappointment. I was really enjoying the idea of angels in long coats hovering around us and seeing one sacrifice immortality for love. But as soon as the poor dude joins his lady love, she decides to go for a bike ride on a mountain road, no hands, with her eyes closed. And of course she is killed

Don't misunderstand me, I generally dislike sugary, happy endings and appreciate emotionally challenging stories but this ending sabotaged the whole build up of the story.

Stephen_M

Agent
The ending of Body Double - talk about misplaced timing. It was supposed to be amusing and wasn't.
Final Destination - and that's only because of the DVD extra showing how test screenings changed the film - the original ending was better.
Star Trek V - do I really need to explain this one?? :) Talk about a movie starting low and then veering South...

Eric Bass

Second Unit
The alternate Terminator 2 ending...worst ending ever!

Aliens ending. Ripley goes back into the place where a squad just got it's butt kicked, find the brat, pisses off the queen, gets back out, then has to duke it out with the queen who tagged a ride on to their spaceship while wearing a forklift suit? Lame.

Alien3 ending. Holding the baby queen to her chest while falling into the fire? Lame.

I don't get the SPR references. Maybe the flag waving was a bit excessive, but does it really completely ruin a great final 30 minutes to that movie?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I really, really hated the ending of Primal Fear. I thought the predictable twist made the whole story stupid and pointless. I liked the movie until the end. Then I hated it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan P.: Sometimes you have to cut a filmmaker some slack. SK had no way of knowing about business collapses and monopoly breakups several decades hence. As for the ending of his work, a careful screening of the entire film lets the story "explain" itself. It's all there. JB

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I thought of another one...I love the movie Blade but felt the ending was lame and not at all what the filmmakers were leading up to with the story. Hell, they kept referring to the "Blood Tide" and how it was going to sweep out over the world blah blah blah...yet, when all is said and done, we get the villian...with RED EYES! Aiiee! Pretty underwhelming. I liked the original concept that is shown in early working format on the DVD. That was cool and fit exactly what was discussed in the rest of the film. Too bad they didn't get to finish the effects and have it attached as an alternate ending. Oh well. Hope the new one ends better.
Phil

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
JonathanP: Please accept the sincere apologies of an HTF brother who is a bit dense and a little too literal-minded this morning to understand a good joke when it's told! :) JB

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I have to say The Fifth Element. Most of the movie is pretty fun but then with about five minutes left and getting to the climax, Luc Besson suddenly whips out a sledgehammer with a Message on the end of it and swings it full force right into my teeth. Thanks Luc ;)

Al_S

Second Unit
I just saw The Pledge this past weekend and thought the ending was just terrible.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Dear Jack Briggs,
Apology most graciously accepted.
P.S. I'm serious about 2001: A Space Odyssey making no sense with the music turned off, though. ;)
P.P.S. I'm kidding again.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen_M! You are correct sir! Star Trek V Without a doubt very dissapointing.
Also, A.I. I was very dissapointed. Really looked forward to that one.
Simply can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Planet of the Apes Have mercy on us all.
And in honor of Jonathan Perregaux...
Apollo 13
The Crying Game said:
I freakin' hate that crap. I honestly thought that chick was good looking! I'll leave it to you to figure out which one I'm talking about.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Although I loved the rest of the movie and count it as one of my all time favorites, I have to agree with others re: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. The whole "Am I a good man?" schmaltz was just waaayyyyyy too much. I wanted to scream at the screen: "We get the point, Steve! Enough already!" Shameless, maudlin manipulation. :thumbsdown:
I recall something one reviewer (can't remember who) back in '98 said which pretty much sums it up:
Steven Speilberg never met a lilly he didn't want to gild.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Great topic, while I actually see quite a few endings I loved listed, most of them at least have a valid reason.

The One

While I greatly enjoyed Yulaw's endless battle on the prison planet, Gabe's utopia ending looked and felt rushed, hokey and lame. Ultra lame. Actually "Kiss Of The Dragon" had a terribly boring and drawn out ending, while "Romeo Must Die" didn't even bother with an ending. Jet, you can do so much better!

House Of Haunted Hill

A bad movie leading up to a terrible rescue from a ghost, for no reason at all, saves the two unlikely survivors. Taye, you can do so much better!

The Pledge

I just didn't believe in Jerry desending into madness so quickly. A detached and abstract film with an even more abstract "ending".

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I was into martial arts movies well before this film, so it did not carry the large impact on me as it did for others. However, the ending leap just swept around mixed messages. No thanks.

Reindeer Games

After Rudy turns into a cold blooded murderer, he then gives unsuspecting folks, or a very lucky mailman, who most likely don't deserve it, a big fat wad of cash. Ever hear of charity doofus?

I could go on (and I might later) but this is leaving a bad after taste in my mouth.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
MichaelW,
I sure hope your joking about LotR, because otherwise you're even denser than Jack :D
To clue you in, there are 2 more movies coming out...you only saw 1/3 of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks