What's new

Movie Endings you hate and why (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

Everything is not meant to be "social commentary", sometimes its just superficial escapist entertainment and no more and no less. I think sometimes we go searching for more meaning than whats there...and naturally we are quite disappointed.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I agree with Adam re: A Time to Kill. It's not that I don't understand the pain Carl Lee was in. Hell, I would probably do something similar... But regardless of the circumstances, it was cold blooded murder. It's not the jury's duty to sympathize, simply to make sure the law is applied.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

A film that ostensibly is about racism by definition cannot be "superficial escapist entertainment." If you're going to deal with such a serious subject, you'd better treat it with the nuance it requires. A Time to Kill descends into sensationalism and becomes superficial entertainment and that is the epitome of irresponsible film-making.

EDIT--I'd argue that there is no such thing as art that is no more and no less than entertainment. All art provides a window into the cultural attitudes of the times. The prejudices of the day end up worked into the art. Even seemingly "superficial" works contain representations of our thinking about cultural and social issues and they need to be addressed; nothing is "just entertainment."

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Regarding Contact...

I figured that from the closing conversation between the two Government people (I don't remember who they were or what their roles were,) discussing (for the first time) that there were 18 hours of static, combined with the other information that was not revealed at the hearings, that the recorder was designed to fail. That the people who 'disected' the recorder knew that, and supressed the information until it was too late.
'course I'm a bit fond of the major conspiracies whenever there's anything... 'new.'

Leo

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND!!!

It's been years since watching it with two other friends of mine. When it was finished, we each just sat there in silence for a few moments, turned to each other and said "What the **** kind of an ending was that?!?"

Maybe a re-watching of the movie is needed, then again, maybe it isn't.

RonOlszewski

Auditioning
I agree with those that chose The Game. Not because of the reasons already mentioned, but rather for the awesomely far-fetched device they use to get him down to the party.

"Hey, we wanna get this guy downstairs, so we're going to drive him to suicide and HOPE he jumps off the roof at the right place so as to hit the 20'x20' airbag we have down there that protects about 1% of the total possible landing area."

I really enjoyed the movie right up until that point. It should have ended with Douglas falling through the blackness.

Hal Cyon

Auditioning
Then you apparently don't understand her character, she was indeed willing to absolutely risk her life for the chance to fulfill her life's quest/dream, and in both the film and novel she had strong if not absolute faith in the fact that the aliens "know what they are doing, let's not second guess them", as a scientist she agreed to what little instrumentation she had as there may not be a second trip but as a person this was a much more personal journey with some rather selfish reasoning hiding behind her logic.
Oh, I understand full well that Ellie was willing to risk her life and the movie made her faith in the aliens abundantly clear. Ellie isn't the issue, she wasn't even in charge. It's that she was only given one recording device that's the problem. It's that thousands of scientists and engineers at the Machine project forget everything they ever learned about the likelihood of instrumentation failure during an experiment. That's what reduces an otherwise fine story to an idiot plot. The movie takes a narative shortcut that I cannot accept. The conspiracy theory that the recorder was set up to fail by the government is just about the only way a writing gaffe of that size can be salvaged.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
That's an interesting idea for the ending...but, then it wouldn't be called "The Game!" It would be called "Dude goes down the tubes." Or, something similar. :)
Admittedly, the central conceit of the film is totally unbelievable...in our world. But, within the world of the film, it is totally plausible and never breaks any of its own rules.
Again, I love that ending.
Here's another vote for the end of "The Abyss." Great film, terrible end.

Lydia

Auditioning
I agree with all those ones like, The Ninth Gate it was average i thought because it was just a tad silly and made me cringe a few times but that ending i just couldn't believe it when i saw it. She looked well crazy and to be honest it was just funny in it's badness.

Lord Of The Rings:Return of the king that went on for to long and the colours were to bright and everyone was a bit to smiley without actually doing anything.

A.I.I think it's well known for having an awful ending it has more then one thats for sure.I only think it's averge anyway Spielberg doesn't do serious that well and maybe he thought he was doing Kubrick a favour by doing that film carrying on a masters work so to speak.Even though Kubrick last film was not a film to die out on.

Also sometimes i hate those endings where your just annoyed by it like Billy The Kid that ending with the bit about the law it's like go away!.

Secretary the ending of that annoys me as well because it's so conventional and the film tries to sell itself as not being.I mean it did annoy me how it doesn't show a bdsm relationship as they really are it glosses all that over to.Even more annoying then that was they way he went to work and she stayed home sat there i know she wanted that probably had a 24/4 full time slave thing going on but it still got to me.Even the way it's goes from being happy then sad then very happy again annoyed me.

I'm sure on reflection i could think of more!.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched the Game again last night, and i have to say, i agree with almost every comment made about the ending: its a silly, logic-free ending that beggars belief. To say that the "entire" Game was set up perfectly from the word go is simply impossible as to be implausible. After sitting through the first hour my girlfriend snuggled up to me and said: "does it get better than this?" and i responded that it did.

I admit that perhaps, based upon that, I was wrong. Good film up until he drops off the roof. Fincher is still an awesome director, however.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"A film that ostensibly is about racism by definition cannot be 'superficial escapist entertainment.' If you're going to deal with such a serious subject, you'd better treat it with the nuance it requires."

Ever see Blazing Saddles? Great film. Nuanced? Hardly.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hal, if you dislike the film Contact's lack of instrumentation then you might want to completely pass on the novel as it has the same amount...and it had five passengers not just Ellie, but here is a passage from the novel that will not, of course, change your mind but might help (plotwise as far as the book is concerned) explain why they didn't have much instrumentation-
-BTW I'm not trying to change your mind on this I am just trying to explain why the story didn't allow for more technical equipment-
-anyway here is a passage from the book:
Holy Land. I'll bring a palm frond to show them where I came from."
The point is that the idea that the scientists didn't insist on them/her bringing extra equipment is false, they did, but the trip was more than just science at that point and in any case they were taking the instructions of the E.T.'s to the letter, even at the insistence by others that they should not. This may be a plot contrivance to get to the final goal of the story, I.E. Faith being a much higher unifying concept than just religion or science even in the face of social & governmental suppression, but it is a plot tool I can live with....obviously you can not and that is cool, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a plot hole as it was covered in the book and, in a much more simplified way, in the film's script.
Personally I don't agree that it makes the rest of the story an "idiot plot" but to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks