What's new

MISSING DISNEY ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, from what I understand a 4K restoration has been completed and given Fox is releasing the remake next year, I would expect Disney to release this as a movie club option next year. If they do this, I will finally sign up and snag it and some of their other club exclusive classics I've been wanting for some time.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I despise the direction our society has taken and continues to take. Stifling political correctness is only one symptom of many.
I don't understand your statement. Are you are using "stifling" as an adjective or a verb? As an adjective it means you are against PC. As a verb it means your are for PC. :laugh:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't understand your statement. Are you are using "stifling" as an adjective or a verb? As an adjective it means you are against PC. As a verb it means your are for PC. :laugh:
Hey, interesting observation. I intended it as an adjective.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS in its original OAR on Blu. And I'd also like to see ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD on Blu, with Legrand's score in stereo. Woo woo. Only recently learned that RETURN TO OZ was available through the Club, as I'm not a member.
We streamed In Search of the Castaways in HD on Amazon. Darby O'Gill was run by in HD by TCMHD last year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nobody wants to see SOTS released more than me.

But.

We've had to bust posts out of this thread for political nature. If you think "well but my politics aren't bad" you are wrong. Even lighthearted politics, further venting about political correctness etc are going to get pulled. Some previous PC comments might get further culled. Future ones 100% will.

Thanks.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Black Hole is the only movie I've ever "bought" on iTunes. For what it's worth, it's in HD and looks very good. Not quite blu-ray quality, but pretty close.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Donald in Mathmagicland is actually part of the pilot for Walt Disney Presents The Wonderful World of Color and probably has even less of a chance of seeing a home video release because of it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Black Hole is the only movie I've ever "bought" on iTunes. For what it's worth, it's in HD and looks very good. Not quite blu-ray quality, but pretty close.

Kinda sorta on the same track...this is the only purely digital soundtrack I ever bought. I can't wait for this one to come out on BD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know this has been covered many times, but I can't find the thread. If anyone can point me to it, I'll re-enter
this question.
Anyway, here goes:
Looking through my Disney Collection, the following appear to only be available on DVD:
DISNEY'S AMERICAN LEGENDS
THE BLACK CAULDRON
THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
DUCK TALES: THE MOVIE
DONALD IN MATHMAGIC LAND
THE GOOFY MOVIE
MAKE MINE MUSIC
SALUDOS AMIGOS
THREE CABALLEROS
VALIANT
Does anyone have an up-date on when, or whether, we might expect any of these to come out on
Blu-Ray?

And why doesn't anyone else ever bring up The Happiest Millionaire? That's the one I want the most (and always bring up in these threads when they pop up). The roadshow would look absolutely beautiful in a Blu-ray release.

walt-disney-happiest-millionaire.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Or how about So Dear To My Heart. One of Walt Disney's favorite films.

Also Summer Magic.
A friend of mine who was a member of the Disney Movie Club sent me for Christmas several years ago the DVD of So Dear to My Heart. It's a beautiful DVD which upcoverts magnificently, but I can only imagine what a real HD version of the film would look like. This is a movie which often gets forgotten, but it shouldn't be. It's a wonderful feel-good film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was surprised to see "The Parent Trap" not in the original post. That has to be one of the most talked about "wants" for Disney Club exclusives.

I am already a club member who has completed my obligation. I am waiting to rejoin, but not until THE PARENT TRAP gets offered. At that point I will snatch up a bunch of Disney exclusives already being offered.

Had no idea Fox was doing a remake of 20,000 Leagues. I would estimate, with the 4k restoration indeed having been done ages ago, that this would be the best opportunity for Disney to finally release the classic to the format.

I just have this love/hate relationship with Disney. They seem to be so misguided these days. They really need new leadership in place that have a better vision of how to handle their classic product -- including Song of the South.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
[QUOTE="Ronald Epstein, post: 4387477, member: 269895"I just have this love/hate relationship with Disney. They seem to be so misguided these days. They really need new leadership in place that have a better vision of how to handle their classic product -- including Song of the South.[/QUOTE]

Certainly in terms of their home video output, they need a new direction. If it's not a new feature film, the chances of it getting a proper blu-ray release are slim. It's not just their classic product though, their current TV shows are lacking in disc releases as well. And even the films in the former "Masterpiece" collection aren't all treated well - we never did see a fix on Sword in the Stone, did we?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Had no idea Fox was doing a remake of 20,000 Leagues. I would estimate, with the 4k restoration indeed having been done ages ago, that this would be the best opportunity for Disney to finally release the classic to the format.

Originally David Fincher was going to direct, now it looks like Bryan Singer.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When you consider how many sum parts of the film the studio still makes money off of, it feels like cognitive dissonance not to have the film in its country of origin when plenty of European, Asian and Middle Eastern countries got it.
Except that they didn't get it, really. It was released for a short time on laser disc in a few countries, but there has never been a DVD or Blu release anywhere in the world, except those kazillion bootleg DVD's that look like crap, and are only laser disc copies.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I just have this love/hate relationship with Disney. They seem to be so misguided these days. They really need new leadership in place that have a better vision of how to handle their classic product -- including Song of the South.

Bravo Ronald, and yes - wholeheartedly agree. There seems to be a malaise afflicting Disney Inc. in totem, not just their home video distribution cultural mindset. Their abandoning of theme park attractions and hotels while transforming others into wan ghost flowers of their former selves. I shudder to think what Walt would say if he could magically return for a peek into what his empire has since become; the classical hand-drawn animation department - gone; Song of the South promoted from within as a racist embarrassment - his superb catalog of live-action features nowhere to be found in the new Blu-ray format, except scattered about as 'exclusives' keeping out the bulk of the buyers who would snatch these up otherwise, and some of his most beloved creations - The Parent Trap, The Happiest Millionaire and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea nowhere among them; all of the hard-won and immaculately produced extra features for DVD cut from their hi-def equivalents, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks still 'missing' its integral numbers and scenes. Disney's executive brain trust has been made feeble and anemic with indecision. Very sad for those of us who came to know the Disney name and brand in its absolute prime. Frequently, I've shed a few tears for Hollywood in general, the collective ennui the new management of studios have regarding their deep catalog releases would never have occurred under the auspices of a Jack Warner, L.B. Mayer, Carle Lemmle, Darryl Zanuck and yes, a Walt Disney. Badly done is badly done - period!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks