What's new

MISSING DISNEY ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I know this has been covered many times, but I can't find the thread. If anyone can point me to it, I'll re-enter
this question.
Anyway, here goes:
Looking through my Disney Collection, the following appear to only be available on DVD:
DISNEY'S AMERICAN LEGENDS
THE BLACK CAULDRON
THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
DUCK TALES: THE MOVIE
DONALD IN MATHMAGIC LAND
THE GOOFY MOVIE
MAKE MINE MUSIC
SALUDOS AMIGOS
THREE CABALLEROS
VALIANT
Does anyone have an up-date on when, or whether, we might expect any of these to come out on
Blu-Ray?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
My guess is via the Disney Movie Club if at all. Things on the regular retail side seem to have ground to a deadening halt.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos were rumored for last fall, but ended up not being released. Unfortunately there's been no definitive word one way or the other on these titles. Many are available for streaming in HD (rental and/or purchase) from the various streaming providers, which means that at the least, there are masters ready to go.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Disney Inc. has increasingly proven not to know its proverbial 'butt' from a tea kettle. Nearly three years ago it was rumored the Disney Club would make a limited edition exclusive of Song of the South on Blu-ray. They even posted pending cover art on Blu-ray.com which is still up here
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Song-of-the-South-Blu-ray/72778/

but the status of that long sought after MIA catalog title has remained just that. Disney then insulted fans by releasing only the truncated theatrical cut of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray - taking apart the careful assembly and reconstruction done for the anniversary edition DVD, also available for some time as a streaming option, but then including all of the 'excised' footage as 'extra' deleted scenes on the Blu-ray, when what they should have done was release both theatrical and extended cuts simultaneously.

Options don't seem to be 'a thing' with Disney Inc. these days. Certain titles released via the now defunct 'Vault Disney' DVD collectors series, Pollyanna, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, have found their way to hi-def via the Disney Club, but without ANY of the extras included on the DVD releases. Let us say, for argument sake, it was too much for the company to go back and remaster the video-based extras. The least they could have done was to port over the audio commentaries that accompanied these releases, while including a separate second DVD disc housing all of these extra features. But no.

Ever since Disney Inc. instituted the Disney Club there have been rumors more of their deep catalog live-action releases are coming down the pike. Personally, I am STILL waiting for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, The Parent Trap with Haley Mills (and Haley Mills), Darby O'Gill and the Little People, The Moonspinners, The Journey of Natty Gann, Freaky Friday (with Jodie Foster) and Third Man on the Mountain to find a more permanent home on home video. It's Disney Inc. so I have learned to lower my expectations and not hold my breath. At this point "when hell freezes over" seems like a good timeline to adhere to where the company is concerned. As for Song of the South; with all due respect - its not a racist movie and it has some very fine performances from James Baskett and Hattie McDaniel to recommend it. A genuine shame they have been absent for so very VERY long.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know this has been covered many times, but I can't find the thread. If anyone can point me to it, I'll re-enter
this question.
Anyway, here goes:
Looking through my Disney Collection, the following appear to only be available on DVD:
DISNEY'S AMERICAN LEGENDS
THE BLACK CAULDRON
THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER
DUCK TALES: THE MOVIE
DONALD IN MATHMAGIC LAND
THE GOOFY MOVIE
MAKE MINE MUSIC
SALUDOS AMIGOS
THREE CABALLEROS
VALIANT
Does anyone have an up-date on when, or whether, we might expect any of these to come out on
Blu-Ray?
Half of the films on your list have HD masters ready to go. Of course, that means next to nothing when it comes to Blu-ray release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has Melody Time been out on blu-ray? How about Victory Through Air Power?

The cartoons collected in the Disney Treasures series have not made it to blu-ray.

Neither of those have. As far as I'm aware neither Disney nor DMC ever announced anything in regard to Song of the South impending release. Only sights
like Disney Wiki and some fan sites spread their own rumors. The mock up picture of SOTS on bluray was fan generated custom job and never
had any Disney fingerprints on it -- there are several more examples of this same thing.

The above list seems to be mostly the missing animated titles b/c obviously there are tons of live action that haven't been moved to HD

There have always been expectations that if Melody Time is released it would be paired with Make Mine Music.
Goofy Movie and Another Goofy Movie obviously should fit together
Three Cab/Saludos Amigos have always been lumped together so those could be knocked out in 3 releases.

Black Cauldron is a sticky one for a different reason than SOTS due to the massive losses they took, the politics of the regime that released it,
and whether or not the original elements exist to reconstruct the original cut. Many fans would take the theatrical cut alone, but the howling is
inevitable and predictable if they did it alone.

Victory Through Air Power hasn't been released in HD

Valiant (and The Wild) is a funny item since it's one of those 'is it really a Disney' In some countries it's listed as one of the official disney Theatrical Animated titles, in
other countries it's listed only as a Disney distributed item

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Sorry to disagree with your comments on Song of the South, David, but in 2014 local radio affiliate in Detroit Am760 WJR had an entire piece on the Frank Beckman show about the long-awaited release of Song of the South; Disney Inc. announcing a very limited Disney exclusive release and would be giving away 10 free copies to listeners of the show. Details were to follow but never did. So I contacted Mr. Beckman via email and was told that the company had since pulled the idea off the table and decided to 'wait' until some undisclosed future date. Interesting though how Bob Iger's opinion - and that of several 'undisclosed execs' seems to outweigh the mass outpouring of love fans have for this absent gem. Disney is about making money so I don't think the situation is dire. I may not see a release in my lifetime but it will come someday, when money is tight and someone at the Mouse House realizes they can mine it for all it's worth to bridge the gap.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hadn't heard that piece of the puzzle though it would be interesting to know the source (unlikely to be revealed I suspect). Pretty much everything I've read and (very) limited info I personally have from Disney people said that was never on the table in anything other than a superficial pass through and anything about an release in any form was always rumor. I have little doubt that at least the level person I had conversations with were being truthful with what they knew, but OTOH this was several layers away from any of the real top secret decision makers. The higher ups have always publicly been adamantly (almost vehemently over my dead body) opposed to the project, but who knows what they discuss in the Secret Lair.

To say that Disney insiders are tightlipped and secretive with such information and masters of Disinformation would be a bit of an insult to those definitions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Disney will never, ever, ever release or license or do anything with Song Of The South again. If they even considered it, every exec would be fired and forever blacklisted because social media would be screaming bloody murder about racism. Unless Disney is looking to take some heat off of Bill Cosby or the Stanford rapist, Song Of The South is gone and will never be seen again.

Just to clarify, I'm certainly not saying that that's a good thing or the right thing, I'm just saying that it's the reality of the situation.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
every exec would be fired and forever blacklisted

The man who imposed the embargo on the film is the same one who said "pretty women aren't funny" in public. He's the last one to point fingers at that movie. And keep in mind that Al Jolson "Mammy" jokes that were voiced and drawn by white people got off with a warning by Leonard Maltin. And considering what they did to the film's true spiritual successor Bedknobs and Broomsticks, maybe an executive house-cleaning is just what Disney needs.

And since you mentioned "bloody murder," a very senseless one just happened in the South yesterday. The same mentality behind it was the same depraved mentality that drove the Favors boys to attack Johnny. Taking the film away didn't make prejudiced or hateful people any less prejudiced or hateful.

And meanwhile, I hear WB is bringing back Speedy Gonzales. Never say never.

And if they wanted to put the heat on Bill Cosby, there's always The Devil and Max Devlin. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The man who imposed the embargo on the film is the same one who said "pretty women aren't funny" in public. He's the last one to point fingers at that movie. And keep in mind that Al Jolson "Mammy" jokes that were voiced and drawn by white people got off with a warning by Leonard Maltin.
If Disney releases Song Of The South, every headline will be "Disney releases racist movie" because that gets people to click. Social media will be full of people criticizing Disney for releasing a movie that most people under the age of 35 or 40 have never seen but they read was racist. All the logical arguments or Leonard Maltin warnings or other far more offensive movies that have been released won't mean anything to stockholders who will want answers to why they're seeing "Disney is racist!!!!!!!!" everywhere on the internet.

Once again, it's not fair and it's not right but it's the reality of the situation. I'd love to be wrong because no movie deserves to be buried especially when its reputation isn't deserved.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They're still seeing it about the movies they do release as well as the ones they don't. The fact that they allow the critics to control the debate on the dialogue over this film proves that they are hypocrites and cowards.

The movie is not racist. Its critics are, and not just that, but they are homophobic as well. And the same social media that launched a lynch mob on a gay director for making a film about gay history has forfeited all credibility in this respect. Floyd Norman had plenty of good things to say about the film; he even worked on the Uncle Remus comic strips at one point. Doesn't his opinion count for anything?

Meanwhile, my boycott continues. It will become a buycott when they change their minds.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The movie is not racist. Its critics are...
As long as the person criticizing has seen the movie, I'll respect what they have to say. I may or may not agree with them but as long as they've seen the movie, they're entitled to their reaction. What I hate is a group of uninformed dummies who only read a headline or a Tweet from someone else and act like that is an informed opinion.

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS in its original OAR on Blu. And I'd also like to see ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD on Blu, with Legrand's score in stereo. Woo woo. Only recently learned that RETURN TO OZ was available through the Club, as I'm not a member.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If Disney releases Song Of The South, every headline will be "Disney releases racist movie" because that gets people to click. Social media will be full of people criticizing Disney for releasing a movie that most people under the age of 35 or 40 have never seen but they read was racist. All the logical arguments or Leonard Maltin warnings or other far more offensive movies that have been released won't mean anything to stockholders who will want answers to why they're seeing "Disney is racist!!!!!!!!" everywhere on the internet.

Once again, it's not fair and it's not right but it's the reality of the situation. I'd love to be wrong because no movie deserves to be buried especially when its reputation isn't deserved.
I despise the direction our society has taken and continues to take. Stifling political correctness is only one symptom of many.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
After the attacks in Orlando and after I was subjected to hate speech elsewhere for defending the film on another board, my days of respecting the opinions of this film's haters and the concern trolls who defend them are over. FREE UNCLE REMUS! When you consider how many sum parts of the film the studio still makes money off of, it feels like cognitive dissonance not to have the film in its country of origin when plenty of European, Asian and Middle Eastern countries got it. And if anyone is concerned that such a release would somehow mean a change for the worse in their hiring policy, that's absurd on its face. Bottom line: they have whitewashed the work of actors of color with their actions and inactions.

But other than that, it just occurred to me that in the restored Bedknobs and Broomsticks along with Miramax's restoration of 54, something unusual happened in the storage of the formerly deleted scenes: in the former, two shots of same-sex touch dancing on Portobello Road only existed as workprint, while in the latter, the kiss between Shane and Greg only existed on tape. They fared better than the scene depicted on my avatar, of course, but it just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
To move to other "political correctness" issues with Disney titles, Melody Time digitally removed all of Pecos Bill's cigarettes from the film, rendering scenes like the one where he rolls a cigarette entirely using his mouth nonsensical. I presume this will be restored to its original state in any BD release, as Disney has gotten very good with its films that feature smoking including anti-smoking PSAs on the disc. Similarly, Make Mine Music had the entire Martins and the Coys segment removed due to violence and political correctness (seen as stereotypical by the management of the studio at the time). Both would seem to be appropriate for a limited release like the DMC exclusives.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And where's The Three Caballeros? Last time I was at Disneyland in 2013 it had its own float in a parade. Its 70th anniversary has come and gone, and now Disney's going back and re-releasing stuff that's already been on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks