What's new
World Wide Stereo

matching speakers to avr (1 Viewer)

jim09

Grip
Real Name
james
i have a avr thats 90rms x7.1
im trying to figure out how big i can go with my front speakers most speakers state peak power , is there a way to calculate this to rms , eg peak power minus ? % = Rms
what size speakers could my avr drive well , it is a denon avr 790.

i know ive got 150watt peak power front ones at the moment and it drives them with ease.
how much bigger could i go? thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You aren't shopping for Christmas trees, where bigger is always better. The size of your speakers is not a function of watts, power, volume or anything else. There are some bookshelf speakers that will tolerate 10 times the output of a white van set of towers that take up half your wall. You are much better off shopping according to budget, sound, and fit and finish, in that order. As far as the receiver is concerned, most modern receivers can power most modern speakers to ear-shattering levels in a modest size room. If you are trying to fill a very large room to reference level volume; start worrying about sheer power output, especially from a sub. Until then, for a receiver, worry about budget and the features needed at that budget.

Remember - Only amateurs brag about watts.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ohms and sensitivity (SPL) are far more important then a speakers power rating. Given good, clean power and an appropriate cross-over point most quality speakers can handle just about anything you throw at them. in general, the larger the speaker the more sensitive it is meaning it doesn't require as much power to drive them. If you want loud then look for a speaker with an SPL of 89 or higher (I've seen 105-I'm sure some are higher yet) and an 8 ohm rating and your Denon should do O.K. But remember, usually louder doesn't mean better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks