What's new

Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE: November 4, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
It looks good and I like his origin story. I hope they are holding back on some of the more psychedelic stuff.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
How they are using 3D on Strange.

http://collider.com/doctor-strange-marvel-3d/

Yes, as a matter of fact. We were in VFX reviews the other day, one of the first ones for that movie — we just wrapped, we finished in New York…we did one of the first reviews and it was pretty exciting. It was pretty cool in terms of how 3D can serve that story. You know, sometimes 3D is a tool, like it is in Civil War, a tool of –another toy in the sandbox of how the Russos (Joe and Anthony) can present this movie, then there are times like what Disney is putting out with The Jungle Book –it’s certainly gonna be the case with Doctor Strange– that it serves the storytelling, that it advances the storytelling. And hopefully it helps bend people’s minds even more than with just the flat screen.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Glad to hear they're not resting on their creative laurels for Dr. Strange. This is the right thing to do, inspiring themselves to do more and better things. Marvel Studios has built up enough goodwill in my opinion that they could dangle a Yo-Yo in 3-D and I'd be impressed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Unfortunately, this came at a time when there is a lot of "whitewashing" in Hollywood, particularly with giving Asian female parts to white actresses. I'm not sure that's what happened in Marvel's case here. Their casts are pretty diverse, so I don't think they are protecting their box office by casting a white actor (except, of course, they are protecting their Chinese box office by not making the character Tibetan). It has always seemed to me that Hollywood's perceived racism has as much to do with the racism of broadest movie-going public (the lowest common denominator, if you will) as it does with the cowardice of Hollywood executives.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, this came at a time when there is a lot of "whitewashing" in Hollywood, particularly with giving Asian female parts to white actresses. I'm not sure that's what happened in Marvel's case here. Their casts are pretty diverse, so I don't think they are protecting their box office by casting a white actor (except, of course, they are protecting their Chinese box office by not making the character Tibetan). It has always seemed to me that Hollywood's perceived racism has as much to do with the racism of broadest movie-going public (the lowest common denominator, if you will) as it does with the cowardice of Hollywood executives.
I don't know that I'd say that Marvel's casts are diverse because they cast a white guy as the lead and then generally, they get one or maybe two black guys in supporting roles and one or two white women and after that, not too many other types of people get significant roles. I do agree that it's more indicative of the audience than Hollywood though. Studios have basically worked out the equation that having one or two black guys & a white woman in their movies will keep them out of trouble on social media but simultaneously not scare off alot of white people.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I don't know that I'd say that Marvel's casts are diverse because they cast a white guy as the lead and then generally, they get one or maybe two black guys in supporting roles and one or two white women and after that, not too many other types of people get significant roles. I do agree that it's more indicative of the audience than Hollywood though. Studios have basically worked out the equation that having one or two black guys & a white woman in their movies will keep them out of trouble on social media but simultaneously not scare off alot of white people.

You do have to remember the source material that they're working with- comics of the Golden or Silver age were mostly centered around white heroes and black guys and women WERE secondary characters. But we're now seeing Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage, Black Widow and the Wasp (and let's not forget Rocket and Groot - they are VERY diverse! :) ). I'd say that Marvel is doing a fine job

And Adam's right - Hollywood is big on not offending the Chinese right now.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Looks awesome!

Here's a nice new poster as well.

image.jpeg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm all done with Marvel super heroes movies. Too many of them, too many off-shoots, too many sequels, too much of an investment to keep up with them, too similar from one to the next anymore. I love 3D, but it all begins to blend together these days. Too many Marvel adaptations over the past decade. Overkill. Over-saturation. Over-redundancy.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
A couple of new pics from entertainment weekly.

ew-nov-drstr-000232981-00_0.jpg

ew-nov-drstr-000232981-01_0.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/1...h?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

“This man reaches the very bottom and then more,” says Cumberbatch. “You think, How much more can this guy take? He’s broken, he gets up again, he’s broken — and that’s really what makes him a superhero. A lot of people have asked me, ‘What makes him a superhero?’ That’s really the answer I should have given. It’s not the Cloak of Levitation. It’s not the Eye of Agamotto. It’s about his staying power. It’s a marathon and not a sprint. The guy endures so much.”

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-strange-enlists-dan-harmon-922236

When Marvel Studios needed a writer to whip up some additional last-minute scenes for its latest comic book movie, Doctor Strange, it called on one writer in Hollywood you would least expect: Dan Harmon, co-creator of Community, the beloved but ratings-anemic sitcom about a bunch of community college misfits that was canceled by NBC in 2013 (but came back to life on Yahoo last year).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-strange-enlists-dan-harmon-922236

When Marvel Studios needed a writer to whip up some additional last-minute scenes for its latest comic book movie, Doctor Strange, it called on one writer in Hollywood you would least expect: Dan Harmon, co-creator of Community, the beloved but ratings-anemic sitcom about a bunch of community college misfits that was canceled by NBC in 2013 (but came back to life on Yahoo last year).

Rick and Morty, baby!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given the convoluted permutations in both "Community" and "Rick & Morty", it's not as left field of a choice as one might initially think. "This is the darkest timeline."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks