What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This isn't quite correct.

Home theatre Atmos can support 35 channels, in a maximized configuration of 24.1.10 (and really the LFE channel is infinitely expandable). Source: https://professional.dolby.com/siteassets/tv/home/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-home-theater.pdf (quote: "Dolby Atmos can support home theater systems with up to 34 speakers in a 24.1.10 configuration: 24
speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers.) (Dolby itself unhelpfully confuses its own use of speakers, channels, objects, and layers). Of course, very few processors support this (baiscally just the Trinnov, Storm, etc.).

Beyond this, Disney is one of a few companies (and by far the biggest offender) of what you succinctly describe as "surround steering in the studio". Moreover, Disney doesn't actually use the 4 additional "un-anchored" objects. Other companies do, but Disney does not. They put out a 7.x.4 track that is completely un-scaleable and doesn't actually use object-based audio. I call that "locked" and feel it's a fair term.
We're talking about two different things. I'm talking about how many discrete objects (channels) are in the source soundtrack. You're talking about how many speakers a processor can derive a signal to feed from that soundtrack.

I explained the limitation on systems beyond 7.1.4. I explained how they work and how compromised they are, if only briefly. If you read my post again, you'll see nothing I said is contrary to what you said, it's just more realistic of how systems beyond 7.1.4 actually work.

To me, the number of actual, discrete objects (channels) in the source is extremely important, and needs to be understood. Dolby does not want people to fully understand this. They don't want people to understand how truly limited home Atmos is. They want people to think it's magic when it's really not all that special.

I've already deviated from this thread. It's about Dr. Strange, not the weeds of home Atmos.

Last edited:

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
With titles that are designed specifically to appear on the streaming service, Disney has made the calculation that more people will subscribe if they are exclusive.
Apparently, but I don't agree with that line of thinking. Obviously most people want to stream anyway, so offering a disc isn't likely to have much of an impact on that customer base, IMO.
---------------

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I've already deviated from this thread. It's about Dr. Strange, not the weeds of home Atmos.
Total agreement.

My on-topic comment about this 4k UHD release of Doctor Strange is that I've purchased the Steelbook CE and I'm looking forward to watching it as I really liked the movie (as I've written elsewhere, I liked it more than Spider-Man: No Way Home). A someone limited Atmos soundtrack isn't going to stop me from buying and enjoying it (even if as Dan and Todd both wrote, has somewhat reduced overall volume, requiring the "Disney bump" of a few notches on your system).

Does anyone (Todd?) know how "finished" the deleted scenes are? I'm always interested in guessing at where in the process the scenes were cut.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copy of the Blu-ray came in the mail today (I don't need the 4K edition) and it is indeed in a standard blue keepcase like the vast majority of the other MCU titles.

Has anyone actually found Multiverse of Madness in a red keepcase as originally pictured when the release was announced? It seems like Disney might have changed direction regarding that and just not done it at all.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ordered the 3D version from Amazon Japan.

Loved the first film! Hoping that the 3D on the sequel will be as good as the first.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My copy of the Blu-ray came in the mail today (I don't need the 4K edition) and it is indeed in a standard blue keepcase like the vast majority of the other MCU titles.

Has anyone actually found Multiverse of Madness in a red keepcase as originally pictured when the release was announced? It seems like Disney might have changed direction regarding that and just not done it at all.
I think that's most likely the case, Jake. A Google search turns up several listings that show a red keepcase, but these are cached images, and when you click through the links the product pages all show the title in the regular blue keepcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks