What's new

Lawrence of Arabia returns to the big screen to celebrate 50th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“Lawrence of Arabia” Returns to the

Big Screen to Celebrate 50th Anniversary

NCM® Fathom Events and Sony Pictures Entertainment Present

Cinematic Treasure in Select Movie Theaters on October 4

Centennial, Colo. – September 6, 2012 – One of the most popular and influential films in the history of cinema returns to the silver screen with Lawrence of Arabia 50thAnniversary Event: Digitally Restored on Thursday, October 4 at 7:00 p.m. local time, with special matinees in select theaters. Presented by NCM® Fathom Events and Sony Pictures Entertainment, the film was meticulously restored by Sony Pictures Entertainment in 4K at Sony Pictures’ Colorworks from the original 65mm negative. This special event features an exclusive introduction from “Lawrence of Arabia” star and Academy Award® nominee Omar Sharif. The event will include newsreel footage of the New York premiere as stars arrive on the red carpet, as well as footage of King Hussein visiting the film set in Aqaba where he met David Lean, Sam Spiegel and Peter O’Toole. Academy Award® -winning Director Martin Scorsese (Best Director, “The Departed,” 2006) will also discuss the overarching themes of “Lawrence of Arabia” and its influence on other iconic films.

Tickets for “Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary Event: Digitally Restored” are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com. The event will bepresented using new digital cinema projection systems in more than 630 select movie theaters around the country. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the NCM Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

Winner of seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture of 1962, “Lawrence of Arabia” is considered one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar®-winning director David Lean (“Lawrence of Arabia,” “The Bridge on the River Kwai”), the film has been honored as the No. 7 film on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) list of the “100 Greatest Movies of All Time.”

“Lawrence of Arabia” stars Peter O’Toole in his career-making performance as T.E. Lawrence. A young, idealistic British officer in WWI, Lawrence is assigned to the camp of Prince Feisal, an Arab tribal chieftain and leader in a revolt against the Turks. In a series of brilliant tactical maneuvers, Lawrence leads 50 of Feisal's men in a tortured three-week crossing of the Nefud Desert to attack the strategic Turkish-held port of Aqaba. Following his successful raids against Turkish troops and trains, Lawrence’s triumphant leadership and unyielding courage gain him nearly god-like status among his Arab brothers.

“’Lawrence of Arabia’ deserves a spectacular golden anniversary celebration on the silver screen,” said Shelly Maxwell, executive vice president of Fathom Events. “This epic film starring Peter O’Toole and Omar Sharif is one of the greatest films in the history of cinema with special footage that fans won’t want to miss.”

The “Lawrence of Arabia” limited-edition, four-disc collector’s Gift Set will be available on November 13 in a fully-restored Blu-ray™ with UltraViolet™. The four-disc set includes three Blu-ray discs, plus a CD of the original soundtrack featuring previously unreleased tracks. Other special items include an authentic 70mm film frame (newly printed and numbered) and an 88-page hard-bound coffee table book that features rarely seen photos, the film’s history and significance and insight into the making of the film.

About National CineMedia (NCM)
NCM operates NCM Media Networks, a leading integrated media company reaching U.S. consumers in movie theaters, online and through mobile technology. The NCM Cinema Network and NCM Fathom Events present cinema advertising and events across the nation’s largest digital in-theater network, comprised of theaters owned by AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK), Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) and other leading regional theater circuits. NCM’s theater advertising network covers 181 Designated Market Areas® (49 of the top 50) and includes over 19,000 screens (over 18,100 digital). During 2011, approximately 680 million patrons (on an annualized basis) attended movies shown in theaters in which NCM currently has exclusive, cinema advertising agreements in place. The NCM Fathom Events live digital broadcast network (“DBN”) is comprised of over 700 locations in 170 Designated Market Areas® (including all of the top 50). The NCM Interactive Network offers 360-degree integrated marketing opportunities in combination with cinema, encompassing 42 entertainment-related websites, online widgets and mobile applications. National CineMedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: NCMI) owns a 48.6% interest in and is the managing member of National CineMedia LLC. For more information, visit www.ncm.com or www.FathomEvents.com.

About Sony Pictures
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; a global channel network; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in 159 countries. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com/

Columbia Pictures presents The Sam Spiegel - David Lean Production of Lawrence of Arabia starring Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Jose Ferrer, Anthony Quayle, Claude Rains, Arthur Kennedy with Omar Sharif as "Ali" and introducing Peter O'Toole as "Lawrence." Editor is Anne V. Coates, A.C.E., with music composed by Maurice Jarre. From a screenplay by Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson, the picture was produced by Sam Spiegel and directed by David Lean. A Horizon Picture photographed in Super Panavision 70®. The 50th anniversary restoration by Sony Pictures Entertainment & Sony Colorworks is based on the 1988 restoration produced & reconstructed by Robert A. Harris and Jim Painten.

Academy Award® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

- 30 -
For artwork/photos related to “Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary Event: Digitally Restored,” click here.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I bought my tickets for a 1pm screening a few weeks back. I was rather bored by this film when I watched it as a kid on my small television and I pretty much told myself to avoid it until I got to see it on a big screen. I'm certainly glad they're re-releasing so many classic films to theaters again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be there Thursday even after viewing the UK BD a couple of weeks ago. I'm still trying to make up my mind whether I'm going to the afternoon or evening showing.

Crawdaddy

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Due to the fact that I'll be travelling on the 4th I'm going to miss this, and it really pisses me off.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Really would like to see this on the big screen, but my past experience with Fathom presentations has been dodgy at best.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Really would like to see this on the big screen, but my past experience with Fathom presentations has been dodgy at best.
I can understand your hesitance but based on the Lawrence thread over in the Blu-ray section, this one sounds like it should be safe.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I watched SINGIN' IN THE RAIN with no problems and I've heard THE BIRDS went off without a hitch. :)
Earlier in the year I watched the first two GODFATHER movies and there were issues with them not starting on time (and for TG2 they started the film after the intermission and I had to come back later that night to the second screening). A different company but FATAL ATTRACTION was fine a couple weeks back and you've got THE EXORCIST and E.T. on Wednesday. I saw a few others last year and for the most part everything has been good. Crowds were extremely good with SINGIN' as the 2pm showing had nearly 100 people and everyone was there to enjoy the film and not just make fun of it.
Plus, a film like this has to be seen on the big screen and I really don't care how whatever Blu looks. This, however, is one thing that has me worried because I certainly don't want the theater showing it to have it in a small room. That's why I'm going to the 1pm showing just in case this happens I can just get my money back and then go to another showing somewhere else at 7pm. The ticket prices are a bit higher than normal but I'm guessing this is due to the film being so long. I just hope whatever special features are shown don't give away big moments in the film. SCARFACE gave away the ending, SINGIN' showed a lot of "big" moments from the film and even TAXI DRIVER had pretty big spoilers. Not a problem if you haven't seen the films before but I'd hate to be in a movie I haven't seen and they show the ending before the movie plays!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If ever there was a film that would have seemed a prime candidate for a giant-screen IMAX re-release, I would have thought Lawrence of Arabia would be it (that, and 2001: A Space Odyssey) .
I've not gone to any Fathom Events screenings in the past but I'm considering this one. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that I would arrive to the theater, pay a premium for the ticket, and then see the movie digitally projected on a screen not much larger than the wall in my living room.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott /t/324150/lawrence-of-arabia-returns-to-the-big-screen-to-celebrate-50th-anniversary#post_3982519
I bought my tickets for a 1pm screening a few weeks back. I was rather bored by this film when I watched it as a kid on my small television and I pretty much told myself to avoid it until I got to see it on a big screen. I'm certainly glad they're re-releasing so many classic films to theaters again.

I saw it in the late 60's as a little boy (with my parents) in a 70MM presentation and loved it. I suspect you will too.

I am going to wait for the Blu-Ray but it really is magnificient on the big screen.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, I went and watched THE EXORCIST today as well as picked up my ticket for this film. I went into the theater they're going to be showing it and sure enough it's the biggest one they've got. I really can't wait now.
Does anyone know about what time the intermission takes place?

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Michael, I don't know if you saw it yet, but Robert Harris in the other thread implied that the Scorsese intro gives away parts of the movie. You've said you've seen LAWRENCE, I'm not sure how well you remember it, but head's up anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you responded in the thread. I was initially working off seeing RAH's post from email.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah but thanks Pete. I'll just have to keep my head down while it plays, which isn't too bad since I usually do this during trailers as well since they give everything away.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
SD_Brian said:
If ever there was a film that would have seemed a prime candidate for a giant-screen IMAX re-release, I would have thought Lawrence of Arabia would be it (that, and 2001: A Space Odyssey) .
I've not gone to any Fathom Events screenings in the past but I'm considering this one. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that I would arrive to the theater, pay a premium for the ticket, and then see the movie digitally projected on a screen not much larger than the wall in my living room.
Relieved and very happy to say my concerns were all for naught. Caught a matinee performance and it was absolutely GLORIOUS! Big Thumbs up to Fathom :)
I would say the Scorsese intro doesn't give away much more than a typical trailer would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks