What's new

Is This Okay? (1 Viewer)

kelvin s

Grip
Hello All,

Once again i have a question about my denon 3801. Since i do not have a calibration disc as of yet, i`m calibrating using enternal test tones. When the test tones start,the volume goes automaticaly to "00". I was wondering if i calibrate my speakers to 85db instead of 75db would this push my receiver too hard or damage my speakers. Any input will be greatly appreciated,thanks.

David-TF

Agent
I would calibrate at 75db. Calibrating at 85db could possibly cause damage to your speakers. I personally use a rat shack spl meter and set my calibrations at 75db slow response c weighted.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
By "Is this Okay?" I assume you are asking if it is OK to give no clue in your subject line as to what your post is about. My vote would be "No." ;)

Yogi

Screenwriter
It doesn't matter what you calibrate your test tones to, as long as the same SPL is coming out of all your speakers. At 85db its just a little less comfortable than it is at 75db. The end result should be the same. If you can withstand 95 db of pink noise, by all means calibrate your 3801 to 95db:)

Chriss M

Second Unit
When you calibrate your receiver using test tones, you are not calibrating to 75db's or to 85db's. What you are doing is calibrating for DD 105db peaks when your receiver is set to whatever you designate as reference (usually 0db's on your receiver). However, because 105db test tones would not be a pleasant experience, the test tones are generally played back at 30db's below reference , or 75db's. Avia happens to use 20db's below reference for their tones, or 85db's. Either way, you are STILL calibrating so that 0db's on your receiver will give you 105db peaks on DD soundtrack. If you were to use 75db test tones and adjust your system so they play back at 85db's when set to reference level, you would be 10db's too high when your receiver is set to 0, making -10 the correct setting for DD reference level.

kelvin s

Grip
Hello All,

Thanks again for your replies. Why does my receiver`s volume display start at - 60db and end at +18db ? I have to adjust to - 20db just to get a decent sound level in my room. Is it because of my room size 20'x 18'x 10h ? I`m just worried about having to drive my receiver too hard to get a satisfactory sound level. I apologize if these seem like stupid questions, but i`m fairly new to ht and i want to do it right. Thanks

Chriss M

Second Unit
Every 10db increase is equivalent to a perceived doubling in sound volume. So theoretically +10 on your receiver would be TWICE as loud as 0db. So if we assume that +10 is the highest level where you receiver can cleanly output a signal, at -20 you are only using 1/8th of your receivers output capabilites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks