What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is 4K Blu-Ray in your future? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Regarding 12 bit colour depth, this is interesting news.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/new-12-bit-deep-colour-encoding-tech-announced-for-4k-blu-ray-201401243602.htm

“In comparison to other proposed content delivery methods that require large amounts of valuable bandwidth or supplementary streams to deliver 12-bit color information, DCE is an extremely efficient process requiring very little additional bandwidth or processing power to deliver true 12-bit equivalent color to compatible displays,” said the company in its press release".

I think the BDA would have to approve it and they are so slow at doing things like that, hopefully it's a sign we'll get something like this on 4K blu ray, the fact it doe not require lots of extra bandwidth can only be a good thing, goodbye colour banding. (unless in the source )

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
My question regarding 4k is what else besides a player and a display, projector or otherwise, is going to be required?
Wouldn't a new pre-pro or AVR equipped to handle the increased bandwidth be required?
What about HDMI cables are they currently able to pass 4k over say a 20 to 30 foot length?
I also have a woven AT screen, that would have to be replaced as well and likely increased in size to 120" diag.

What about broadcasters? To me it seems like 4k would be a long time coming there.
Hell, Fox and ABC are still doing 720p!

I've seen the Samsung 4k set at BB a little while ago and it did look nice, very nice.
I just don't see "normal" consumers getting on the 4k wagon which is required for prices to come down to earth
and enough content to make it worthwhile.
It's like when I've had people over to watch films or football games. Yeah, they love it, think it's great but they do not care
enough about it to spend anywhere near what I have.
A 50-55" Vizio and a soundbar is as far as that goes with them if that.

Look at the total bust 3D wasis. I'm in regular contact with a folks who are leading edge adopters and spend considerable sums of money on AV and none of them bother with 3D anymore.
Of my "regular" friends, none of them bother with 3D, none.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
3D is just another feature that you can use every now and then. You don't need to - nor want to - use it all the time. It's not going anywhere as long as they make 3D movies for the movie theatres. 3D is a "total bust"? Somebody in the Hollywood missed that memo.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Douglas_H said:
My question regarding 4k is what else besides a player and a display, projector or otherwise, is going to be required?
Wouldn't a new pre-pro or AVR equipped to handle the increased bandwidth be required?
What about HDMI cables are they currently able to pass 4k over say a 20 to 30 foot length?
I also have a woven AT screen, that would have to be replaced as well and likely increased in size to 120" diag.

What about broadcasters? To me it seems like 4k would be a long time coming there.
Hell, Fox and ABC are still doing 720p!

I've seen the Samsung 4k set at BB a little while ago and it did look nice, very nice.
I just don't see "normal" consumers getting on the 4k wagon which is required for prices to come down to earth
and enough content to make it worthwhile.
It's like when I've had people over to watch films or football games. Yeah, they love it, think it's great but they do not care
enough about it to spend anywhere near what I have.
A 50-55" Vizio and a soundbar is as far as that goes with them if that.

Look at the total bust 3D wasis. I'm in regular contact with a folks who are leading edge adopters and spend considerable sums of money on AV and none of them bother with 3D anymore.
Of my "regular" friends, none of them bother with 3D, none.
You don't need a new AV Receiver as you would be able to pass the signal directly to the television or projector and i see new players having two HDMI outputs so sound for one and image for the other output, also AV Receivers have had 4K pass through for a couple of years now.

As for cables, most decent cables, including some cheap ones are able to pass 4K right now at the length you talk about, your projection screen would not have to be replaced nor increased in size, although screen size and viewing distance play a part in all this, indeed all you need is a new player and new projector/television and some 4K movie titles/software and you are good to go.

Having said all the above i do feel when it comes to projection you need to do it right, darken the walls and especially the ceiling, make sure other light things are covered with dark material and get a screen which doesn't reflect lots of light off the screen and you will keep Ansi contrast high and also preserve the native contrast as well, that will help make the image pop more and be less washed out, early adopters always pay more and suffer more as the crinkles in the tech get ironed out.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jari K said:
3D is just another feature that you can use every now and then. You don't need to - nor want to - use it all the time. It's not going anywhere as long as they make 3D movies for the movie theatres.3D is a "total bust"? Somebody in the Hollywood missed that memo.
Talking about home video obviously and it is a bust numbers-wise.
The 3D in Gravity made the movie but my screen isn't that big.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
FoxyMulder said:
You don't need a new AV Receiver as you would be able to pass the signal directly to the television or projector and i see new players having two HDMI outputs so sound for one and image for the other output, also AV Receivers have had 4K pass through for a couple of years now.

As for cables, most decent cables, including some cheap ones are able to pass 4K right now at the length you talk about, your projection screen would not have to be replaced nor increased in size, although screen size and viewing distance play a part in all this, indeed all you need is a new player and new projector/television and some 4K movie titles/software and you are good to go.

Having said all the above i do feel when it comes to projection you need to do it right, darken the walls and especially the ceiling, make sure other light things are covered with dark material and get a screen which doesn't reflect lots of light off the screen and you will keep Ansi contrast high and also preserve the native contrast as well, that will help make the image pop more and be less washed out, early adopters always pay more and suffer more as the crinkles in the tech get ironed out.
Thanks mulder.
Yes, I have a dedicated room so all of "dark" stuff is pretty well handle except I'd like to put up telescope liner on ceiling as even flat black paint reflects light. I'm pretty sure I'd need to replace my woven AT screen with a 4k one as the weave would negate any advantage of 4k resolution.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unless you bought a bargain woven screen, You shouldn't need to change it.Everybody already has woven 4k anyway...in case you have problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks