What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Varsity Blues -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Varsity Blues, a 1998 production, directed by Brian Robbins could have gone down the same old high school athletic (pick your sport) bunny trail, but it's a bit different, which makes it worth a viewing.

It has some nice performances, is given a quality look courtesy of Charles Cohen, and is an overall more than decent film. You'll find an early performance by Jesse Plemons.

It's also one of those films that (at least for me) fits into that "do we really need it in 4k" category. That's not to suggest that there's anything wrong with Paramount's 4k presentation. There isn't. It's actually quite lovely, and 4k helps with some details such as character's eyes, but how different might it be in a quality 2k?

Audio is also fine via Dolby TrueHD.

For slipcover collectors, there's a bit of meat on the bone. This is a beautifully designed cover, with standard title type at the top of the obverse, along with the 4k ID, and an image below of the high school group posed atop a nice pickup.

But what the designer has done here, is to take any silvery metal objects - wheels, trim, etc, and allow it to shine through as metallic. And it works nicely. I can seen these selling on eBay for $25 MOD (mit out disc)..

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film

Worth your attention - 4

Slipcover rating - 4

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Varsity-Blues-UHD-Scott-Caan/dp/B0CKW6XH2Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PMWVJZEQ1FEY&keywords=varsity+blues+4k&qid=1705081083&sprefix=varsity+blues+4k,aps,106&sr=8-1

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Gee, I wonder how this film directed by the current CEO of Paramount Pictures could have ever gotten plucked out of relative obscurity and selected for upgrade to 4K UHD?

Can't wait for the 4K editions of those other Paramount classics Norbit and Good Burger.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gee, I wonder how this film directed by the current CEO of Paramount Pictures could have ever gotten plucked out of relative obscurity and selected for upgrade to 4K UHD?

Can't wait for the 4K editions of those other Paramount classics Norbit and Good Burger.
"Ah, the giants!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Wow - I had no idea Robbins was even still in the business, much less in such a prominent position!

I still think of him as one of the students on "Head of the Class"!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

...and Hardball, let's not forget about Hardball.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
...and Hardball, let's not forget about Hardball.
1705194355771.png

It's too bad Michael B. Jordan didn't have much of a career ;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks