What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Rebel without a Cause -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As noted earlier, our memories of films always somehow relate to where or with whom we saw them, or other special circumstances.

This is another oddity, an old friend was doing lighting for A Fortune in Men's Eyes in NY, and Sal Mineo was having a gathering at this apartment of those involved, and miscellaneous others. As I had a beautiful 16mm dye transfer print of Rebel, my friend asked Sal if he's like to run it at the gathering. Turned out that he not only wanted to do so, but had never seen the final film, being so distraught over the passing of James Dean.

Seeing Warner Bros. new 4k UHD release of the film, I can tell you as an absolute, that while the colors and densities on my dye transfer print were nice enough for government work, it wouldn't have held a candle to what I'm seeing on this new disc.

A new 4k scan from the OCN, in the original and proper 2.55:1 aspect ratio, and 4-track stereo.

And while there are occasional WarnerColor oddities (never problematic), and original mumps inducing CinemaScope optics, I've never seen Rebel looking anywhere like what I'm seeing here in projection. I never get over the fact that these little shiny discs are a miracle of modern technology, or can be, as long as what's being encoded to them is as perfect as possible.

And here, that's the case.

For slipcover lovers, this one is a bit special. Same WB 100, but with a very elegant satin finish as opposed to gloss with metallic lettering. First printing only. Future collectible. No idea. Future Rarity on eBay. Goes without saying.

Like clockwork, WB has given us three extraordinary films from 1941, 1955 and 1967 - all letter perfect in every detail.

More please!

Image - 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My favorite part of this movie is the visit to the planetarium within LA's famous Griffith Observatory. My favorite performance is Ian Wolfe as the narrator of the planetarium show, Dr. Minton:

"And while the flash of our beginning has not yet traveled the light years into distance, has not yet been seen by planets deep within the other galaxies, we will disappear into the blackness of the space from which we came—destroyed as we began, in a burst of gas and fire. The heavens are still and cold once more. In all the immensity of our universe and the galaxies beyond, the Earth will not be missed. Through the infinite reaches of space the problems of man seem trivial and naive indeed. And man, existing alone, seems himself an episode of little consequence."

It seems to me that the young players in the movie are suddenly stunned by all this—by the immensity of the universe, and the flashing visuals. Watching the movie on TV in the 1970s, and already knowing that James Dean had passed away young, it seemed like that was almost an unconscious foreshadowing.

I also knew Ian Wolfe as Dr. Atoz in the Star Trek episode All Our Yesterdays. He was an actor with a memorable screen presence, and I always wanted to see more of him.

A bust of James Dean has been for many years at Griffith Observatory.

griffithobservatory_20200511_030-scaled.jpeg
Griffith_observatory_2006.jpeg
ian wolfe.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Now I can't wait to get my hands on this. I have collected every release of this film. If Rebel looks as good as you say Mr Harris then I really look forward to later this year seeing the East of Eden 4k. I saw a month or two ago GMA interviewed Martin Scorsese who worked with them he said to restore it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Now I can't wait to get my hands on this. I have collected every release of this film. If Rebel looks as good as you say Mr Harris then I really look forward to later this year seeing the East of Eden 4k. I saw a month or two ago GMA interviewed Martin Scorsese who worked with them he said to restore it.
I don’t believe he was directly involved with the elements. Last I heard Natasha Lyonne was donating hours fixing splices and doing clean-up, and rumor has it she‘ll be receiving a special award at the next AMIA conference. Apparently procedures that she and Chloe Sevigny created for their restoration of Out of the Blue were licensed by Warner’s MPI for internal use.

What their process can accomplish is amazing, and was used on both Rebel and East to spectacular results.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Wasn't really planning on getting this, but I might now.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but the film version of "Fortune and Men's Eyes" (NOT starring Sal Mineo) seems to have vanished.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yes. I’ve seen that. But I have problems taking a piece seriously that makes no mention of either Lyonne nor Sevigny, and their accomplishments that shook the world of film restoration.

Nice puff piece, however.
I thought the Out of the Blue restoration's final product looked fantastic. Do you have more information on Lyonne's and Sevigny's involvement in the restoration process and the techniques you mention above? I'd like to read more because, as you note, their accomplishments seem to be under-appreciated. I can find a lot about their financial contributions but little more.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My favorite part of this movie is the visit to the planetarium within LA's famous Griffith Observatory. My favorite performance is Ian Wolfe as the narrator of the planetarium show, Dr. Minton:

"And while the flash of our beginning has not yet traveled the light years into distance, has not yet been seen by planets deep within the other galaxies, we will disappear into the blackness of the space from which we came—destroyed as we began, in a burst of gas and fire. The heavens are still and cold once more. In all the immensity of our universe and the galaxies beyond, the Earth will not be missed. Through the infinite reaches of space the problems of man seem trivial and naive indeed. And man, existing alone, seems himself an episode of little consequence."

It seems to me that the young players in the movie are suddenly stunned by all this—by the immensity of the universe, and the flashing visuals. Watching the movie on TV in the 1970s, and already knowing that James Dean had passed away young, it seemed like that was almost an unconscious foreshadowing.

I also knew Ian Wolfe as Dr. Atoz in the Star Trek episode All Our Yesterdays. He was an actor with a memorable screen presence, and I always wanted to see more of him.

A bust of James Dean now exists at the Griffith Observatory.

View attachment 181187 View attachment 181188 View attachment 181189

This is referenced in La La Land when Seb is waiting for Mia. Always wanted to visit Griffith Park and hope to in the next couple of years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. I’ve seen that. But I have problems taking a piece seriously that makes no mention of either Lyonne nor Sevigny, and their accomplishments that shook the world of film restoration.

Nice puff piece, however.
Why would that piece mention that particular restoration about a film, many people never heard of? No offense to Out of the Blue and the restoration efforts connnected to that film. However, the CBS piece was about Scorsese's legacy and the Film Foundation efforts to restore as many movies as possible.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why would that piece mention that particular restoration about a film, many people never heard of? No offense to Out of the Blue and the restoration efforts connnected to that film. However, the CBS piece was about Scorsese's legacy and the Film Foundation efforts to restore as many movies as possible.
Deservedly so.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I thought the Out of the Blue restoration's final product looked fantastic. Do you have more information on Lyonne's and Sevigny's involvement in the restoration process and the techniques you mention above? I'd like to read more because, as you note, their accomplishments seem to be under-appreciated. I can find a lot about their financial contributions but little more.

Once again, RAH's withering sarcasm is a little too dry to be understood by those not as closely familiar with the subject he's discussing.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I don’t believe he was directly involved with the elements. Last I heard Natasha Lyonne was donating hours fixing splices and doing clean-up, and rumor has it she‘ll be receiving a special award at the next AMIA conference. Apparently procedures that she and Chloe Sevigny created for their restoration of Out of the Blue were licensed by Warner’s MPI for internal use.

What their process can accomplish is amazing, and was used on both Rebel and East to spectacular results.

Once again, RAH's withering sarcasm is a little too dry to be understood by those not as closely familiar with the subject he's discussing.
I was wondering. I was about to give a lot of praise to Lyonne and Sevigny. Someone want to let me in on the joke? I know it's probably a Russian Doll reference, but that's it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I was wondering. I was about to give a lot of praise to Lyonne and Sevigny. Someone want to let me in on the joke? I know it's probably a Russian Doll reference, but that's it.

I can't speak for RAH, but I believe the point is that publicity for the "restoration" of Out of the Blue may have been a wee bit exaggerated.

Such as...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Check the (other, relevant) review thread to get the full of it... as it's probably a bit too much to explain here otherwise (and then, probably loses all the fun of it ;))... plus you'd miss out on the review itself *and* a surprise guest appearance over there, if you don't check... :cool:

And yeah, also check that link @Josh Dial just posted simultaneously above...

:cheers:

_Man_

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I can't speak for RAH, but I believe the point is that publicity for the "restoration" of Out of the Blue may have been a wee bit exaggerated.

Such as...

I found this article you referenced today after spending a portion of yesterday searching Google for information related to their involvement with rebel, and scratching my head lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks