What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I've used the create daily since it came out. No scratches.
Not surprised at all. These days Apple is so big that pretty much any product (or major third party product) is guaranteed to have doom and gloom reports that are almost never worth worrying about.

Buying 3rd party chargers is about the only one for which I would take warnings seriously

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The new multitasking features really make me want to try the 12.9" with a keyboard as full computer replacement. Very exciting!

But for now I'm plugging away with my iPad Nothing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've pre-ordered the new 12.9" iPad Pro, and the new 10.5" iPad Pro. I've been searching the Apple Store site and other sites and I'm very dissapointed to find the 12.9" iPad Pro silicone rear case isn't sold by Apple anymore, at least as far as I can see. Has Apple deliberately ceased production of those? I have the first gen iPad Pro 12.9" with the silicone rear cover and smart front cover which I really like.

I know many here opt for third party cases and keyboards. For me the Apple stuff works fine for my needs. So hopefully I can find some new old stock and that the old stock fits the new 12.9" iPad Pro.

For the 10.5" iPad Pro, the choices are the same, a Smart Cover for the front and nothing for the back. The only full body protection option from Apple is the sleeve. I think the sleeve is ok, but when I pull the iPad out to start sketching on it, if like the backside protected. I suppose the sleeve could do that, but it's not attached. I also have to assume the 10.5" iPad Pro is dimensionally larger than the 9.7". So we can't use that.

Either Apple will release something later or it's third party covers. I hope they simply don't have the covers ready until next week, or I just totally missed them.

I'll check my local Apple Store this weekend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Yes! ;)

The real reason is because I'm stupid and I'm being very self indulgent.

After the first iPad Pro 12.9" came out, I was really bummed when the second iPad Pro 9.7" came out with more memory and then later the 12.9" was updated. So I've been itching to get the larger capacity one after the 12.9" was upgraded to the 256gb of memory. So I waited and waited it out in case there was an update.

The big one I've used a lot more then my regular earlier iPad Air with third party styluses with Bluetooth connection. Those styluses were pretty good. But when the Apple Pencil came out, I was just amazed at the integration. Palm rejection works 99%. Pressure sensitivity that works so well with the apps that integrate it. I've used it for personal artwork and work artwork. The big one stays home and I've taken the 9.7" to work. I have taken the big one to work too. I've stopped short of adding my work email to it and taking it to meetings. I'll see if I can get my company to get me one.

The new ProMotion feature will be interesting for me to test out with the Apple Pencil. Some people complain there is lag time from when you make a stroke with the Apple Pencil to the time the line shows up behind the stylus. For me, it's not a big deal, I'm sketching pretty fast and I just don't see it as I'm focused. So I'll be curious to try out the new processor and see how that 20 milisecond of lag looks. Apple says it imperceptible. I just have to have the most current iPad with these tools. It's been the dream come true tool ever since Apple released the Pro line of iPads. And if it's becoming more and more advanced and Microsoft Surface fans cannot argue against it because it doesn't have a file system or the stylus isn't fast enough, or it doesn't have the full Adoble suite and support, whatever else they say, I'm excited to see how it works out. I really want to show up in a meeting as the lone iPad Pro user amongst the Surface uses. :)

And the reason I got the 10.5" is because I wanted to see how that size will work out for my sketching and drawing. You get used to the larger 12.9" drawing space that screen affords. The 9.7" feels kind of small. So I'm curious if the 10.5" will be a good size.

I know it's nuts.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I stopped by the Apple Store today. There are no cases available yet for the new iPad Pros. No surprise. I was going to buy the existing silicon rear case and front Smart Cover for the 12.9 iPad Pro and the guy I was working with was pretty sure it would fit the new iPad Pro. Dimensionally the same. But it turns out, he did a smart thing, he looked at photos of the new iPad Pro and it has a flash in the rear for the new iPad Pro camera, so there is no hole on the old case for it. So he suggested I wait till Tuesday to see if Apple releases new rear cases for the iPad Pro 12.9. Worse comes to worse, I'll drill a hole for the flash in the old case. He did not know for sure, but it seemed likely to him. As for the 10.5", it looks so far only a Smart Cover and a sleeve are available for that iPad Pro.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0001.PNG
I've spent about an hour setting up the new iPad Pro 10.5" and doing a very quick sketch with the latest build of the Sketchbook app. I also test the procreate painting sketching app. I compared to the original 2015 iPad Pro 12.9".

I can see for sure some lag when using the stylus to draw a line on the old iPad Pro. With using the new iPad Pro 10.5", there really was no lag! If there is as Apple called it 20 milliseconds or whatever it was, it's sure fast enough to I'm sure please most, if not everyone.

I really like how easy set-up is and once I had my account set up and iCloud, the address books and safari booksmarks are there. I did this as a new iPad setup so it won't have all the old settings. Email was quick to update. Not sure the faster processor makes a difference there.

So in terms of speed increase, I can only so far say that the lack of lag when sketching is great and a great improvement.

One thing that is bothering me now is that I don't have a case for this or the new 12.9" iPad Pro. So far as I know, Apple didn't make a new rear case for these new iPad Pros. I want to protect the back and sides. I'll get the Smart Cover. I don't understand why Apple is not making a rear case. I'd rather buy one from Apple, but I might have to look for third party rear covers. I have one from Belkin for my old iPad 3. I'd still prefer the Apple silicone one. For the iPad Pro 12.9, I can see the camera flash in the back will require an opening the old rear case won't have. Also the new iPad Pro 12.9" has a camera bump. I might be able to modify current 12.9" rear cover to work on the new iPad 12.9". It's late, so I haven't had time to open the iPad 12.9" yet.

PS, I wonder if a moderator might feel it's better to merge the thread I started for the 10.5" iPad Pro thread with this one given it's about the iPad Pro.

And I totally forgot to mention one big important factor, size. Initially, the 10.5" size doesn't feel much bigger then the 9.7" physically though it is. If you look at Apple Insider, you can see a photo comparing the sizes. In terms of the screen size, it is bigger. But not by a lot over the 9.7". The 12.9" still feels bigger. Though for sketching, I think it's nicer then the 9.7". So it's better then the 9.7". What I think will be great is if you want a bigger screen, but not the 12.9", the physical size I think will be nice for reading iBooks and web browsing if you're lying in bed or just in general use.

Just wish there was a nice rear cover from Apple. :)

Last edited:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

Thanks for the early "first impressions"!

I don't know if they're shipping yet, but this Logitech keyboard case will probably be your best bet for full protection combined with a keyboard:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/logitech-slim-combo-case-ipad-pro/

I know I still love the 9.7" version for my current iPad Pro. Unfortunately, on mine the keyboard is not detachable, which appears to be a very nice feature for a pure "sketch mode".

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
HI Joseph, thanks for the comment of the first impressions. It does feel like a more significant release then the 12.9" because it's a new size. I hope to comment more as I get more time on it.

Any suggestions for tasks that will show the processing speed?

Thanks for the Logitech case info. I'll keep it in mind. I'd much rather have a rear case alone so I'll consider this as the keyboard is detachable. I seem to do fine with the soft keyboard in iOS. I know a lot of people don't like it. I'm not a trained typist, just a tap typist. I manage to type ok and I'm
doing this reply on the teensie weensie iPhone 6. :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

According to the current reviews it even performs multiple touch "Drag-and-Drop" on the iOS 11 beta virtually instantaneously. The current 9.7" iPad Pro visibly strains to do the same task. (The hope is that the speed will increase on the older Pro model once iOS 11 comes out of beta.). The bottom line is that -- short of running one of those Geekbench tests -- I don't know of anything you could throw at it that would faze it.

Speaking of the reviews, they have been universally glowing from a hardware perspective:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15779156/apple-new-ipad-pro-review-2017-10-5-tablet-ios

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/12/apple-ipad-pro-10-5-review/

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ooooh ... So you have a 12.9" model? Wow!! Congrats!!!

The True Tone feature can be disabled:
Settings-->Display & Brightness-->True Tone

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I had more fun sketching tonight with the 12.9" iPad Pro. This is just so much fun. The sketching feels so much more natural now with the speedy processor chip. Palm rejection was working fine. It working great as I pinched and zoomed and rotated the canvas while sketching with the Pencil.

I still have to synchronize to my Mac to transfer some movies and TV shows and see how they look on this screen.

BTW, I placed the silicone case from the first gen 12.9 iPad Pro onto the new 2017 model and it fits. Camera bump fits, controls work. Speaker holes appear to line up. Just need to cut a hole for the flash and rear mic. And the Smart Cover fits, magnets match and the sensor to shut off the screen and wake up the iPad works.

IMG_0001.PNG

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Sam on your new iPad Pro! And the Create. I had to look that up.

Joseph, thanks for the review links. The Verge review was a pretty glowing one! It will be very interesting to see and try iOS 11. As the review said, the iPad Pro currently doesn't really feel that different, so it will be interesting to see how the new OS works. I need to get familiar with the drag and drop thing.

On a side note, I don't think it's the fault of the iPad Pro, but typing this reply is very uncharacteristically painful as typing and then waiting for the letters to appear is as slow as molasse. Not sure what's going on. Is it the site or the IPad?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks