What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
There's reports that the latest iOS update 9.3.2 is bricking iPad Pro 9.7" units. I'm still on my factory iOS installation. I usually wait a while before updating.

My friend's iPad Pro 9.7" is bricked from the update. Hope you guys are not experiencing this.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-latest-ios-update-wreaks-havoc-with-some-ipad-pro-tablets/
I have 9.3.2 installed in my new iPadPro 9.7, but this is the re-released second version of 9.3.2

So I need up getting the separate Apple front and back cases and they turned out to be great, extremely secure, just effect in protecting as the single case for the iPad Air 2.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a suggestion for an App that can store/display your full res photo albums on your iPad? It you used work through iCloud Photo Sharing, but there is no longer a way to keep it from only downloading them from the Cloud when you started displaying older ones. And there is no way at all to store them locally through the Flickr app from your Flickr albums. And, I want them stored locally on my iPad only: not though an app that will load them both on my iPad and iPhone.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, just for the heck of it, as I was charging both my iPad Pro's and one Apple Pencil, I was out of chargers and plugs. But I wanted to try charging the second Apple Pencil I have. I plugged it into my iPhone 6. It worked! I guess the way the Lightning port is wired, it's the same on the iPhone 6 and the newer iPad Pro. I could tell it was charging by looking at the battery widget on the iPad Pro.

At work we have an iPad Pro 12" that's not being used. It was purchased to study, but I hated to see it languishing. So I am trying to use it. I found the pencil, but the charging adaptor for the Lightning cable was missing, so I plugged it into the iPad Pro's Lightning port and to my surprise, it charged the Pencil from 0 to 100% in half an hour or so. I didn't time it. I never charge my pencils this way, but it's nice to see it will do it for more then the emergency need that Apple had described when it was first announced. I guess I should t be surprised as it was designed that way. The drain on the iPad Pro was minimal.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

I only use the Photo app on the iPad and the Photo application in MacOS. Ive taken photos with my Canon EOS at the highest size JPEG mode. I don't shoot RAW format, still need to understand how that works. So I've imported those photos right into Photos on the Mac Pro straight from the Canon. I've also collected high rez photos from the sketches I created on the iPad and saved them to the camera roll and placed them in the Photos app. So when I sync the iPad, the photos go into the iPad fine. I have images that are in the 4000 wide pixel range. They work fine on an iPad 3 and iPad Pro and I've created albums with those and they are ok on the iPad. Not sure that helps you but that's what I've done.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a suggestion for an App that can store/display your full res photo albums on your iPad? It you used work through iCloud Photo Sharing, but there is no longer a way to keep it from only downloading them from the Cloud when you started displaying older ones. And there is no way at all to store them locally through the Flickr app from your Flickr albums. And, I want them stored locally on my iPad only: not though an app that will load them both on my iPad and iPhone.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Pretty sure that Google Photos will do what you want. But you’ll have to pay for full resolution storage.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So ... It's been awhile since I visited this thread.

Just wanted everybody to know that I just purchased the Logitech Create Keyboard case for the 9.7" iPad Pro.

This thing is "the berries"!
It includes a loop for the Pencil; the keyboard is back-lit with a top row of dedicated iOS function keys; and it has a very usable "Tablet Viewing Mode" in which the case folds over the top of the keyboard. Best of all, it really adds very little weight to the whole package. Using the iPad in "Tablet Viewing Mode" was actually very comfortable -- even after an extended period.

Of course it goes without saying that -- just like it's bigger brother -- it uses the iPad Pro's Keyboard Connector so it never has to be recharged or paired.

So ... Advantages over the Apple Smart Keyboard Cover:
* This is a full case -- It even protects the back of the iPad.
* Keys are back-lit.
* Contains a row of dedicated iOS function keys.
* Loop for Pencil --- And the Pencil can stay there even when using the iPad as a tablet.
* Very comfortable Tablet Viewing Mode. I don't feel compelled at all to take the iPad Pro out of the case. The angle is also very comfortable when using the Pencil for note taking.

A real winner all around!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joseph,

I had to grin at your post.

Logitech sent me the 9.7" Create Keyboard for review. I haven't even opened it yet, and I am a good week away from posting a full review, but I am very happy to read your positive thoughts.

Have been wanting to own this keyboard for a long time, ever since the larger version was released.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Good to hear that you have a review pending.

This thing has really enhanced my opinion of the 9.7" iPad Pro as a productivity device. While waiting for this keyboard case to be released I was using an external Zagg Bluetooth keyboard. This worked, but there were times when I needed the keyboard just for a few minutes or so and didn't want to go to the hassle of getting it out of the bag and setting it up. Now the keyboard is available all the time when needed -- and it feels just as comfortable as the Zagg when typing. I am beyond pleased with this purchase!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I should have my review up by Sunday.

I will say that I am very impressed with this keyboard -- especially the fact that there is no bluetooth pairing and it is powered by the iPad through the smart connector. It's a great product.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I should have my review up by Sunday.

I will say that I am very impressed with this keyboard -- especially the fact that there is no bluetooth pairing and it is powered by the iPad through the smart connector. It's a great product.

I bought my wife a 12.9 iPad pro for Christmas (for her to create art, mostly) and also bought her the Apple Pen and this keyboard, Ron, largely based on your enthusiasm.

I'd read that the CREATE keyboard can scratch the screen somewhat so was wondering if you had recommendations on the best screen protectors out there (there are many options and I just want one that will not affect brightness or sensitivity as that would defeat the purpose of my wife doing art on the thing).

Also, are there any other accessories that folk can recommend that would enhance the experience of owning this? Cheers :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Neil,

Can't really help you with screen protectors. I am sure Amazon will give you a good rundown (with customer reviews) of exactly the type of protector that you want.

I haven't used the CREATE keyboard too much since doing the review as I haven't been traveling. I did not hear that it can cause scratches, and will keep that in mind.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neil, as you might know I use the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil for doing my design work where I sketch and paint to develop design concepts. It's been a great tool.

My personal iPads only have the Apple rear cover and Apple Smart Cover in front. Works out very well for me. For typing, because the screen is so large, I don't have an issue using the soft keyboard. I know not everyone likes that.

At work in the studio we have a iPad Pro too with the Apple keyboard. I don't have that keyboard myself but used it at work. I actually like it because it works! It's a good stand that props the iPad up at a good angle. I've used it to type posts on the HTF. Keys feel good. I have no experience wirh other keyboards.

About screen protectors, this is the first iPad I did not get a screen protector for. And I trust that Apple did their homework to know the Apple Pencil tip material is not going to scratch the glass. I keep my screen clean as I'm anal about that. So when I use the Pencil, it glides smoothly and I'm not dragging particles that could mar the surface. Also, any oils from your skin on the screen will affect how the pencil feels. That's an obvious thing. Though I have noticed as the pencil slides over areas that are clean to areas I've touched will feel slightly different from changes in the friction. I just keep a towel handle to wipe down the screen. Microfiber or terry cloth are great. Though my hands are pretty clean, so it's not a problem for me. I am appalled at how some people treat their devices to see how they are scratched up. So I'm especially careful. It's just my nature. :)

So far, there's not a scratch or nick on my iPad Pro without screen protection. I do use the Apple Smart Cover to protect it too.

Now the iPad at work is another story. While the screen is still ok, the Apple logo on the back is already scratched because people carelessly slide it in the tables. It has no back cover. It's a work tool so they don't care. It gives me the chills to see that. But I get that some people feel it needs to get banged up to look used. Not me, I don't understand that attitude!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil, as you might know I use the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil for doing my design work where I sketch and paint to develop design concepts. It's been a great tool.

My personal iPads only have the Apple rear cover and Apple Smart Cover in front. Works out very well for me. For typing, because the screen is so large, I don't have an issue using the soft keyboard. I know not everyone likes that.

At work in the studio we have a iPad Pro too with the Apple keyboard. I don't have that keyboard myself but used it at work. I actually like it because it works! It's a good stand that props the iPad up at a good angle. I've used it to type posts on the HTF. Keys feel good. I have no experience wirh other keyboards.

About screen protectors, this is the first iPad I did not get a screen protector for. And I trust that Apple did their homework to know the Apple Pencil tip material is not going to scratch the glass. I keep my screen clean as I'm anal about that. So when I use the Pencil, it glides smoothly and I'm not dragging particles that could mar the surface. Also, any oils from your skin on the screen will affect how the pencil feels. That's an obvious thing. Though I have noticed as the pencil slides over areas that are clean to areas I've touched will feel slightly different from changes in the friction. I just keep a towel handle to wipe down the screen. Microfiber or terry cloth are great. Though my hands are pretty clean, so it's not a problem for me. I am appalled at how some people treat their devices to see how they are scratched up. So I'm especially careful. It's just my nature. :)

So far, there's not a scratch or nick on my iPad Pro without screen protection. I do use the Apple Smart Cover to protect it too.

Now the iPad at work is another story. While the screen is still ok, the Apple logo on the back is already scratched because people carelessly slide it in the tables. It has no back cover. It's a work tool so they don't care. It gives me the chills to see that. But I get that some people feel it needs to get banged up to look used. Not me, I don't understand that attitude!

Thanks, Nelson. I appreciate your response and I guess we'll see if a protector is needed after a little use and go from there. My wife uses a Mac today that's getting old so in some ways the iPad is a semi-replacement for that too (though I suspect she'll still use it for heavy typing) - but the CREATE keyboard serves as a case/protector too which is nice.

I'm curious what apps/software you use or recommend for your design work/sketching?

Again, thank you for your post!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil,

Can't really help you with screen protectors. I am sure Amazon will give you a good rundown (with customer reviews) of exactly the type of protector that you want.

I haven't used the CREATE keyboard too much since doing the review as I haven't been traveling. I did not hear that it can cause scratches, and will keep that in mind.

Thanks, Ron!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neil, glad to help!

The apps I use are procreate and sketchbook. I used Sketchbook Pro a lot on my desktop Mac set-up with a Wacom Cintiq tablet. When iPads first came out, I used their iPad app for Sketchbook Pro and it works pretty well. Quite well actually. I had used procreate too on the older iPads but I never got too into it.

But when I got the iPad Pro, procreate had been revamped for the iPad pro and Apple Pencil. I tried it and I found it much improved and more useful then Sketchbook. Both take advantage of the pressure sensitivity of the Pencil. procreate takes advantage of the pencil's ability to tilt. It might get a glitch now and then. But it's so good now! Below is a link to an earlier post on this thread of a sketch I posted after I had some time using the Pencil and procreate.

I'll be curious how your wife likes it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'd read that the CREATE keyboard can scratch the screen somewhat so was wondering if you had recommendations on the best screen protectors out there (there are many options and I just want one that will not affect brightness or sensitivity as that would defeat the purpose of my wife doing art on the thing).

Yes, I have the Logitech Create for the 9.7" iPad Pro, but like Ron, I haven't used it enough to tell you whether it does or doesn't scratch the display. It certainly is an excellent keyboard, but even during my week long trip, for which I bought it, I ended up just typing on the screen as I always have since my original 2010 iPad...

The main reason for an external keyboard is using it with Apps where having a full screen display while typing is a big advantage. The typing itself, I find is every bit a easy straight on screen if you are used it. Yes it also has some great MacOS features like command-Tab to switch between Apps, but having to reach up to tap pre-typed words slows you down compared to typing directly on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks