What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, I don't think it's the fault of the iPad Pro, but typing this reply is very uncharacteristically painful as typing and then waiting for the letters to appear is as slow as molasse. Not sure what's going on. Is it the site or the IPad?

Nelson,
Are you using the iOS version of Chrome? I have recently experienced slowdowns like you're describing on this site with my 9.7" Pro and Chrome. I have only experienced it on this site, so there may be something going on when the two interact. It's surprising to me, though, that *anything* could slow down the new Pro.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, I'm was using the iOS Safari. I've never used any other browser on any of my iPads and iPhones. Interesting, as I type this on my 2015 iPad Pro, the speed is more or less normal. I've also noticed a slow down on my iPhone 6, but not as much as I experienced last night.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, I'm was using the iOS Safari. I've never used any other browser on any of my iPads and iPhones. Interesting, as I type this on my 2015 iPad Pro, the speed is more or less normal. I've also noticed a slow down on my iPhone 6, but not as much as I experienced last night.

Hmmm ... Safari is one of the apps that actually uses non-documented API call multithreading; and it sounds like you may have uncovered an iPad Pro/iOS 10/A10x fusion chip multithreading bug. Apple is so busy optimizing the new iPad Pro for iOS 11 that they may have forgotten about an incompatible non-documented iOS 10 call.

Since it's being exposed while typing on this site it may be related to the Safari "Do Not Track" option (which is known to utilize non-documented hardware calls). If you have that enabled, try turning it off (Settings-->Safari-->Do Not Track) and see if that fixes the issue.

The thing is, I can't find any discussion regarding something like this in the Apple support forums; and it’s hard to believe that a bug of this nature would only be exposed at this site.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, I got an Apple silicone rear cover for the 2015 iPad Pro 12.9 and installed it on the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9. To quote Scotty, it fits like a glove. Same with the Apple Smart Cover, but that was never in question.

The buttons line up and connectors too. The camera bump fits, though I see a tiny deformation from the outer rim of the camera bump. The flash is covered of course. Here's the bad news. The speaker holes line up on the side with the volume buttons, but are offset by two holes. So two speaker holes are blocked. And the speaker holes at the head phone jack end are off as well. That explains why the sound isn't as loud. Though I tested the sound with and without the cover and the sound levels are a tad louder without the case. Probably negligible.

I'll try this for a while. It's what I preferred to have so it's nice and minimal and thin, yet provides good protection.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just did another comparison. I added the same movie file into the new iPad Pro that I have in the old. I noticed for sure, the sound output is higher on the old iPad Pro with the volume set the same on both playing the exact same movie file. I even removed the new iPad Pro from the case to be sure the speakers were not impeded. It was a lot higher on the old one. They were both set to 50% volume level. The new iPad Pro wasn't as loud, I had to turn the volume up to 75% so both sounded the same. So I wondered if there is a master volume control. The alert sounds are loud though.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just did another comparison. I added the same movie file into the new iPad Pro that I have in the old. I noticed for sure, the sound output is higher on the old iPad Pro with the volume set the same on both playing the exact same movie file. I even removed the new iPad Pro from the case to be sure the speakers were not impeded. It was a lot higher on the old one. They were both set to 50% volume level. The new iPad Pro wasn't as loud, I had to turn the volume up to 75% so both sounded the same. So I wondered if there is a master volume control. The alert sounds are loud though.

Nelson,

You might want to go to:
Settings-->Music and then scroll down to the "PLAYBACK" area and ensure that "EQ", "Volume Limit", and "Sound Check" are set up the same on both the old and new iPad Pros. These settings also affect movie soundtracks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Joseph! I'll definitely check those settings when I get home tonight.

I did do one more test after I made my last post. I had read on an Apple Discussion forum that a guy was asking why his iPad Pro's sound output was fainter then the iPad Air he has. Somewhere in there was a mention that the algorithm for how the volume ratio is set might be different on the two iPads. So I tested that. At 50% volume in my old and new iPad Pro, the old was louder. But at 80% volume level, they were nearly the same. So the ratio is different. The old one ramps up the volume sooner but tapers off sooner. The new iPad Pro ramps up volume slower and really raises it faster after its past the 50% level. So I wonder if that's related to the EQ as you suggest. Or maybe it is what it is. I'll check it out! Thanks!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, I checked the setting on both iPad Pros, the old iPad Pro matches the music settings on the new iPad Pro.

It appears that my guess was right, the ratio of how the volume level is raised as the volume control is moved is different between the iPad Pro's. At least on mine. At 50% volume level, I can hear a difference between the two. At 85% they are both very similar in loudness if not the same. I didn't push them to 100% volume level. The next test is the load up the iPad Pro 10.5" with the videos and do a similar test.

Thanks for the tip Joseph. While it didn't change anything, I did learn a little about where some functions are located that I never used before and that the two iPads have different audio output at the default setting. Seems strange.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

Thanks for that analysis!

Well, that *is* odd that the volume ratio has such a variance between the old and new iPad Pros; but if they can both get to the same level then it’s not a big deal. And Apple can probably change the ratio back if needed with a software patch.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I came across another review of the iPad Pro from the "Hey Siri" event. This one is more informative about the Pencil. The writer said he was able to use the Pencil was working more or less, his words, the way Apple described. Pressure changes and holding the stylus at various angles changes the line weight, that's not new. What was new was that there will be a dongle for the Pencil that is for recharging. You do have to connect the Pencil to the Lightning connector initially to pair it. I doubt he meant like pairing with Bluetooth. Well see on that one. The other cool thing he said was that one Apple employee while demoing the Pencil rested his entire forearm on the screen and it didn't affect the Pencil's performance. That's great news.

I am really eagerly anticipating this iPad Pro!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-its-keyboard-and-its-pencil/
What software is the guy using that has a virtual ruler to draw straight lines with.? I've not seen that in software before.

They already have =)

And I can say with confidence: Who cares if Apple's Keyboard is terrible? Buy the Create. It's fantastic.
Sam, are you still sold on the Create?

I've gotten interested in an iPad Pro since is saw a 9.7 version at Sams for $618 with 128gb. The screen was dazzling. I was able to do some finger strokes on the screen, but Sams is certainly not setup to demo the iPad.

Than I want online and looked at what apple is offering. They have the 10.5 with 64gb for $649 and the 12.9 for $799. The wife saw I wanted one and said maybe Xmas. These are the new iPads just announced, right? I'd have to get the Pencil too.

I don't plan on storing much music on it, got my phone for that. When I work with graphically, I'm a hobbyist and mostly do images not video. I'm wondering how much I need the upgrade to $128gb?

Of course no usb so how do I get data from my iMac to the iPad? Is there software that would edit PSD or TIFF formats?

I can't remember what I paid for my iPad 2, but I bet it was $600 or more. Maybe this is the year to upgrade. If I got the 12.9 and 256gb, pencil, and Create keyboard, that's a quick $1150, approx. Holy crap!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last month Apple released a new iPad for $329. Its kinda a successor to the iPad Air 2.

Two weeks ago Apple released two new iPad Pro models.

I have a 32GB iPad (previously had a 64GB model). I only fill it up when I load up tv shows from my TiVo. Otherwise, with apps including games I only use about 16GB to 24GB.

If you're doing photo or video editing or other graphical creation you may want more storage.

Data transfer works like it does with your iPhone. Wirelessly or by USB connection.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, for drawing and sketching I use two apps. One is called Procreate. The other is Sketchbook by Autodesk.

Procreate has the ability to draw straight lines at any angle. Using the pencil tool or paint brush, draw the desired line at any angle and length, then hold. The software automatically converts it to a straight line as if you used a straight edge to draw it. It's at the same angle and length you drew it at, except it's not wavy anymore from drawing it freehand.

But if you want a virtual straight edge or ellipse template, use Sketchbook. Formerly called Sketchbook Pro. I used it for years on my desktop Mac with a Wacom Cintiq. It has a virtual straight edge and ellipse tool. You can use the stylus on the Wacom to drag the straight edge to any angle, then use the stylus with any pencil or pen or brush and draw and it follows the straight edge. It's great! But on the iPad version of Sketchbook, that function wasn't possible. I've used it on the iPad since the first iPad came out. It wasn't till the most recent release of Sketchbook that that functionality was available. And I've used it and it's great! Autodesk must have figured out how to make that function work within the past year the iPad Pro and Pencil has been out.

I'll try to do a few sketches to show the results.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Data transfer works like it does with your iPhone. Wirelessly or by USB connection.
There's no usb on the iPad. By wireless, I presume you mean syncing the device?

Procreate has the ability to draw straight lines at any angle.

I'll try to do a few sketches to show the results.
I know it's silly, but watching the user use a virtual ruler like a physical ruler, kinda surprised me. I look forward to seeing your sketches.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am kinda, sorta thinking of upgrading from my 9.5" iPad Pro to the 10"

I am going to Canada. If I buy an iPad over there I can save 20% which is a nice discount.

Combine that with selling my 9.5" iPad Pro and I might be able to afford the purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's no usb on the iPad. By wireless, I presume you mean syncing the device?
It has a Lightning connector, like your iPhone. It connects to a USB port with the usual "Lightning to USB Cable" included in the box.

As for wireless, there wireless syncing, AirDrop, DropBox, iCloud, and so on. Assorted ways to get files to an iDevice without ever plugging into a computer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am kinda, sorta thinking of upgrading from my 9.5" iPad Pro to the 10"

I am going to Canada. If I buy an iPad over there I can save 20% which is a nice discount.

Combine that with selling my 9.5" iPad Pro and I might be able to afford the purchase.
20%...?

Canadian prices converted to US dollars are 8%-10% less, ignoring currency exchange fees. Not nothing, but not 20%.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it's 20%

And no exchange fees with my credit card
I was doing it wrong: I converted to Euros instead of dollars. Converting to USD, prices are essentially the same.

Here's what I see:

iPad Pro 10.5" base config
$649 USD
$869 CAD = $655 USD
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=869&From=CAD&To=USD

So it's more expensive in Canada for the base model. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. It's been a long day so maybe I'm off base.

(This is what I expected: Apple doesn't want people getting a 20% discount for crossing the border. Prices should be matched accounting for exchange rate.)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Nelson,

Thanks for the early "first impressions"!

I don't know if they're shipping yet, but this Logitech keyboard case will probably be your best bet for full protection combined with a keyboard:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/logitech-slim-combo-case-ipad-pro/

I know I still love the 9.7" version for my current iPad Pro. Unfortunately, on mine the keyboard is not detachable, which appears to be a very nice feature for a pure "sketch mode".

Looks like a must buy for the 10.5 for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, i re-viewed that iPad Pro review you linked to in my post you quoted. It's been so long since I'd seen that I totally forgot about that app used in the Apple Pencil demos that were done back then. it took me about an hour to figure out that app was the Apple Notes app! I didn't know the Notes app had that drawing functionality. That's a very capable app! But it's not as capable as the sketching and paint apps I use. But it's really cool the Note app works and has all that functionality.

So here is a sketch I did with Autodesk Sketchbook. It has the virtual straight edge and the virtual ellipses guides. So it's just like it used to be in my early career doing more technical type drawings with a real straight edge and ellipses guides. The ellipses guides can be adjusted to any angle and any rotation, I just did this quick drawing without the rotation. The shading I did freehand. The Pencil I used has pressure sensitivity in the app, so I can press lighter to make the lines fainter and darker which is what I did when I drew the ellipses and lines.

I'm really loving the new app functionality and it has made it possible for the iPad Pro to replace my desktop and Cintiq drawing tablet for digital art creation. I can still use my desktop, but this makes for a truly portable sketchbook.

IMG_0003.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks