iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joseph,

Both of those products are excellent. Going to order them now.

Yeah, I just thought that the removable cap was something that would easily be lost.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Gee....these forums really work. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The only thing that has me nervous are the bad reviews for the charging cable.

I might look at something else -- that is -- unless you are having no problems with yours.

I basically need a lightning adapter extension cable, yes? I would do USB to lightning cable (Female) as I would not charge from the iPad itself. However, I don't think such an animal exists.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

The cable works fine.
The secret is to plug the Pencil into the cable *before* plugging the cable into the iPad Pro. If the Pro "sees" the Pencil, it doesn't complain.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gotcha!

So, I ordered the Cozy Cap you linked to above.

But instead went with the USB cable to female lightning adapter so I can charge the pencil directly from a USB power outlet instead of the iPad pro itself.

Thanks for all your assistance, Joseph!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, after reading your last post, have you opened all the contents in the Apple Pencil box? There is an adaptor included that you plug into the lighting cable there go charging. I am using an extra smaller iPhone charger and the Apple Pencil adaptor on the lighting cable to charge the Pencil. It's dedicated to that task.

The leash for the Apple Pencil cap is cool. The speed to with these accessories Coke out is great. Because I'm anal retentive, I always keep an eye on the cap. When charging the pencil I've even placed the cap on the iPad cover so it's magnets hold onto the cap.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What cases you people use for their iPad Pro's?

My niece's family (i.e. the parents) are of the "wrap it in an Abrams Tank after purchase" school of thought. My wife was trying to talk them down from the insanity of putting a screen protector on the niece's iPad pro. And they found the Otterbox "survive a fall from Mt Everest" cases interfere with normal use, so they're looking for something to protect the expensive iPad from the rigors of sleep-deprived college students.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For me, something simple and NOT Apple brand.

I am not paying $30-$40 for a case.

I have the chance to review Amazon products at a discount so I have been trying quite a few low-cost covers and they work GREAT!

In other words, you can pay under $20 and get something basic that works well. Just read the reviews.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I have the chance to review Amazon products at a discount so I have been trying quite a few low-cost covers and they work GREAT!

In other words, you can pay under $20 and get something basic that works well. Just read the reviews.

And riding on Sam's reply...

I think that's the ultimate way to cover your iPad -- with a keyboard case.

However, when you need something simple, take my advice.

I just haven't gotten a keyboard yet as I am still waiting to see what Logitech announces.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Following Ron's post, it's going to be tough to post my thoughts.

As far as screen films go, I actually have used them on earlier iPads because I was scraping styluses over the screen and the risk of scratching the screen was too much for me. But with the iPad Pro, I actually got over that fear because after testing the Pencil, it was clear that the materials were not going to offend each other. The only risk is to keep the screen clean to avoid sliding a grain of sand into it. The other benefit though of a screen film is that not every artist will like the feel of the Pencil over the glass. A film will add 'tooth' so it feels more like paper. In my experience so far, as the tip has gotten some time to wear, the feel has improved and I feel some resistance instead of the slick feeling of plastic over glass. So that's something to consider. One only has to try it and see if they think more friction is needed from a film on the screen.

As far as cases and covers go, here's where I diverge. I always use an Apple case. The new silicon cases are great because they are super thin and fits, so it's not adding thickness to a product that's been developed to be as thin as possible. Of course my usage is not what a college student will be. :). The other thing I like about the Apple Smart Cover is that it will provide the a good tilt for when I'm sketching on it on a table top. They are very expensive, but to me it's worth it.

I am finding it very interesting that so many people prefer keyboards for typing on their iPads and other tablets. I've never gotten used to the idea of them. I tried it once and didn't like it. I'm very comfortable with the soft keyboard. But that's me. Good luck Dave.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I think she wants a keyboard case. I imagine they'll lean towards the apple case for that; I'm not familiar with whether there are good other options.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently using an external ZAGG keyboard which I purchased for my (now sold) Air along with the Apple Smartcover. (About the only time I need a physical keyboard is when I run Remote Desktop to my office PC.). I just stuff both of them -- along with the Pencil -- into a generic 10" laptop case I purchased from WalMart for next to nothing.

BUT ... As soon as this keyboard shows up at Amazon for the 9.7" Pro I'm seriously considering glomming on to it:
http://www.brydgekeyboards.com/products/brydgeair-apple-ipad-pro-9-7-keyboard?variant=7751695937

It uses Bluetooth instead of the keyboard connector, but the design allows the Pro to more easily revert to a tablet. The keys are backlit; and the entire top row is dedicated to iOS-specific functions (curiously absent from the official Apple Keyboard case.). The reviews state that It also balances better on the lap.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, Joseph. That is one beautiful keyboard.

I am going to get this one if Logitech doesn't come up with something as good or better.

It will work with the 9.7" iPad Pro now, but, with limitations to the auto sleep/wake. Are you expecting them to make modifications because it is available to buy now.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Yeah ... I'm hoping for a more iPad Pro compatible iteration. In addition to the lack of support for the auto sleep/wake, it contains redundant stereo speakers which are not needed for the Pro. According to the reviews, these speakers don't sound very good to boot.

But ... If I absolutely had to have a keyboard now, this is the one I would purchase due to the typing angle combined with the weight of the base which allows for easy typing on the lap without tipping. I also like the fact that you can easily pull the Pro out of the hinges when you want a full tablet experience.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also I just used my Pencil to 'sign' a document in MS Word for the first time. Export to PDF and mail it off. Never going to have to scan, sign, print and scan/email or fax again.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, nice to see some other people post artwork. Cool! :)

I was always perturbed by how to sign a PDF in the past. If I need to sign something, I'll be curious to try it now with the Pencil. This is good to know!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've constructed a digital house of cards that enables me to run MATLAB on my iPad. This is a case where the 12.9" Pro would be so useful!

Of course, this is a case where a 15" laptop would be the correct solution. But still. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Please do send specific suggestions. What I would buy instantly is the (Apple) case I currently have with the iPad Air 2 -- it can't unfortunately be used with the nearly identical 9.7" Pro because the magnet locations which automatically turn on/off the screen when open/closed are differently located, plus some of the stuff recurring openings like the camera are not identical.

You certainly don't need anything heavier (indeed that is a detriment) or sturdier: I have had the Air 2 since it's release day, use it constantly, have dropped it a couple of dozen times, and it is as good as new -- Apple's case is full proof -- I am still upset that decided not to release it for the new Pro. Basically I want a third party imitation of the Air 2 case configured for the Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks