What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wizard Of Oz - Three-Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I agree 100%. Discussion is one thing. Passing judgement without first-hand experience is a losing game.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Amen Marc...

Amen Ron....

I can't write what I want to about so much of the disturbing posts I have seen here, as it would end up insulting certain members (which is not my intent) and could jeopardize my membership, Further, it would create yet even more posts that benefit no one, and only bring down the reputation of HTF membership. All creating much ado about one of the finest DVD releases of all time. This recent surge in vitriol and negativity is very sad indeed, not just for OZ, which people already start to condemn or rant about even before THEY themselves have seen it.

So peace to all....and as a parting comment, this week's new issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY reminds consumers (in their review of the new OZ disc) that they voted the 1999 disc the best of that year. Ater that reminder, they say...
"You can now throw that old disc away"....and go on to rave about the excellennce of the new version, deem it a "must have" and give it an "A" rating.

Similar praise can be found in virtually every media-related publication and newspaper in the United States.
And I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but when the world's most famous and respected expert in film preservation and restoration (a certain Mr. Harris) gives not only a hearty endorsement, but goes out of his way to educate the less-informed that their "concerns: are baseles, only to have his comments questioned or ignored by many who have not a speck of his knowledge and experience, well, I for one find it just damned sad.

Long live Oz....Thank you again, WB.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've purchased this film in all prior video formats & will be buying the 3 disc set. I'm looking forward to it. I doubt I'll be able to discern any "problems" with the transfer on my TV & with my vision. So I'll leave the hair splitting debate to those with golden eyes & perfect TVs. :D ;)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
First, we have the word "bile" and now we have "vitriol." :rolleyes

Secondly, I don't think there is a single person here that gets more respect and is less ignored than Robert Harris, perhaps by a decent margin.

Thirdly, if Robert Harris would not like to have his comments questioned he can say so for himself. I doubt that is forthcoming as that is something that I respect about him.

Meanwhile ... two-disc set for 13 bucks is my choice. At that price difference, a bunch of three-disc sets might be sitting around only to be heavily discounted later.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
After studying the screenshot comparison, the new transfer"s colors are brighter. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in person on Tuesday. ;)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson

I was not offended by the new look, Just do not understand why a Blue tint was looked so highly on for one release and a Red tint now was the way it is suppose to look.

I always stated I based my opinion on the five or so screen captures, I really do hope it is just bad screen captures that are giving the new release the horrid look I see here.

I will be buying the 2 disc set and am hoping for the best!

Sorry for stepping out of line!

Wes

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well as much as I like to be a completist, the 2 discer is gonna be 20 bucks cheaper, I just don't know if I wanna fork over the extra cash when I could get another release as well... like Titanic! Still, I love goodies.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for tomorrow.

I don't care if the transfer looks polkadotted aquamarine, I'm going to be standing outside the store at 10am when the doors open, first in line to buy this and the new Looney Tunes Collection!

I've waited all summer for this!!!

:)

Can't wait to spend the next 2 days in my underwear on the sofa running my projector! I should probably leave the house an hour early to pick up groceries and extra popcorn and snacks to ensure that there is not a single reason to leave my condo before Thursday short of an emergency fire alarm.

This is why waiting for the inevitable "definitive edition" release pays off... no whining or bickering about trivialities, just fiendish anxiousness and excitement.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona

I have to disagree. If the original work of art could have looked better, but couldnt due to technological limits, then i think its perfectly ok for the director to use new technology to get the picture how he envisioned it.

George Lucas is a perfect example.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Ok..I have the original 1997 version. I never upgraded to the previously new fangled version. Now I see you guys saying lots of different things about whites and blues and all of that which honestly, I have no idea about, nor do I pretend to.
And when I look at the screen grabs at DVDBeaver...to me...it looks like the previous NEW release has a MUCH more pleasing picture..color wise, and more defined. The new release shots look very grainy and blurry, which is odd for something that was mastered with an "Ultra Resolution" process.
This new picture might be how it was intended to be, but honestly, and this will sound "Joe Six-Pack"...I don't care.
I'd rather have something that's more pleasing to MY eye in 2005, than something that met standards in 1939.

I do however, want the 3 disc set for all the extras and such, and I'm sure it will look better than the 1997 release.

Here's some quick things I noticed from The DVD Beaver Shots...again, just my opinion, but maybe the new disc is better billed as a "Preservationist's Resolution"?:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This Friday we're going to do a little A/B comparison at my place on the projector. We'll be sure to post our impressions back in the thread (of course, by then other folks will have acquired the disc and done their own comparisons as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks