What's new

HTF Movie Draft! Join in quick! (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Andy Olivera
Rice
----
Miller's Crossing-haven't seen
Magnificent Ambersons-ok film
Fiddler On The Roof-Musical
Gone With The Wind-Bloated
Doctor Zhivago-Same
The Man In The Moon-haven't seen
Leaving Las Vegas-Best Love Story Ever Told
A Room With A View-haven't seen
Importance Of Being Earnest-haven't seen
Cinema Paradiso-haven't seen
Olivera
-------
Dark City-Stylish and Atmospheric
Poltergeist-Overrated Ghost Story
The Thing-Excellent sci-fi horror tale
Event Horizon-**CRAP**
Cube-haven't seen
Scarecrows-Obscure but interesting horror film
Lawn Dogs-haven't heard of
Photographing Fairies-haven't heard of
Altered States-Bizarre, out-there Ken Russell effort
Solaris-haven't seen

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
John, what did you(and nearly everyone else, for that matter) find so insulting about Event Horizon?
...and be specific, please.:D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for John, but I thought Event Horizon had one of the worst scripts ever written. But don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed. Fantastic production value. Brilliant cinematogrpahy. Compelling story. God awful words. :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Abstain

I’ve not seen enough of Andy’s to be able to vote fairly, though I do appreciate his selection of Solaris.

Interesting. I have just the opposite view (i.e., it gets better with repeat viewings). I personally think that Dr. Zhivago is John's strongest pick!
I have always thought this to be Lean’s most disappointing film. So much so, that I’ve not seen it for many years. Maybe I need to go back and try it again.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Give it a try Lew. It is somewhat of a "chick flick", comparable to Gone With The Wind. If you don't like GWTW, you more than likely won't like Zhivago.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Give it a try Lew. It is somewhat of a "chick flick",
Perhaps I will, Rob. It’s not the ‘chick-flickness’, that put me off—a favorite Lean of mine is Brief Encounter, which was a chick’flick before the term was coined, it is that it is a ‘chick-flick’, where I am unable to care about the protagonist. I set aside my dislike of the score, most especially the wretched ‘Lara’s Theme’.

Still, it may be that I’d now admire the virtues of the movie more than I dislike its weaknesses.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I'm going to vote for Senor Rice, despite having only seen four of Andy's movies (two of which I disliked; two I was a bit underwhelmed by).
John's list, on the other hand, has five I'd give at least 3.5 stars to and just one that I really don't care for (Leaving Las Vegas). I haven't seen the other four, but I did just record Fiddler on the Roof last night ad will watch it sometime soon, most likely.
BTW, I was surprised I pulled out a win last time given how it started out. I wouldn't have been upset losing to Andrew though, who, Pulp Fiction excepted, has a stellar list.
Evan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yea for you, Andrew.

Andy, as far as Event Horizon, and I hope I don't offend too many people here, but like so much of the horror genre, it falls far short of its potential. About a half hour into it I was really getting jazzed about what it looked like it could be, but like so many movies these days, it chickened out. Rather than exploring where the ship had actually been, which would have been original and more chilling, it ended up doing the same thing several other movies (like Solaris) and even The Twilight Zone have already done many times.

I usually don't care much for Horror It's not because I don't like the genre, but because they usually fall flat. I really like The Thing and recent ones I like are Resident Evil and Session 9, but a lot of the ones that get so much admiration, like Black Christmas are disappointing.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'm Abstaining because I haven't seen very many of John's and only half of Andy's. Not too mention since someone voted against John for having Miller's Crossing on his list (insert nasty comment here), I'd more than likely vote for him because of it.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
a favorite Lean of mine is Brief Encounter, which was a chick’flick before the term was coined...
A great little movie, that is too often overlooked. Very tight (admittedly more so than Zhivago) and beautifully acted and shot. Brief Encounter set a new standard for how music was utilized in movies.
If you don't have it, I highly recommend the Criterion Collection DVD. It has an excellent transfer, and a very good commentary track! :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
John, I've always thought the part where it "chickened out"(so to speak), was farther in, when Weir kills the crew(aka, the start of the finale). IOW, it didn't bother me that it'd been done before(since it was done so well, here), but the genre switch from a supernatural thriller to a slasher film was a bad move.

The change was jarring the first few times I saw it, but then it just began to work. Personally, I think the confrontation between Miller and Weir(on the bridge) keeps the final act from going completely wrong. I'm hoping that the director's cut(which is supposedly twenty minutes longer), if we ever see it, will smooth out the transition a bit...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well Andy, I have only seen Event Horizon twice. Once in the theater when it came out and again this year when I rented the DVD because people kept raving about it. I wasn't so annoyed the second time, because my hopes didn't get built up while I watched it. I think it is another case of a good basic concept, but bad writing. All too many movies these days are written by directors and producers and it shows. If these people would deflate their massive egos just a touch and let a real "writer" do that part, the quality of movies on the whole would improve immensely. Not everyone can do it as well as the Coens.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
John defeats Andy, 9-6.
Next matchup:
Elizabeth S.
The Deer Hunter
Psycho
Fargo
L.A. Confidential
This is Spinal Tap
Das Boot
Three Colors: Red
To Live and Die in L.A.
Amadeus
The Three Musketeers (1973)
vs.
Matt Pelham
The Third Man
The Bridge on the River Kwai
A Clockwork Orange
Platoon
Singin' in the Rain
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Shawshank Redemption
My Man Godfrey
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
Robocop
I'm gonna abstain, as I've already spent about 200 seconds trying to pick which list I like best. I dig 'em both. So there.:D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Both lists are pretty terrific, but I'll have to go with... Matt
A Clockwork Orange and The Last of the Mohicans are two films I never tire of watching. I've probably viewed each of them between 30 and 40 times. The Bridge on the River Kwai and Singin' In The Rain didn't hurt either.
- Walter.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth S. -
Love: The Deer Hunter, Psycho, This is Spinal Tap, Amadeus
Like: Fargo, L.A. Confidential
Haven't seen: Das Boot, Three Colors Red, To Live and Die in L.A., The Three Musketeers
Matt Pelham -
Love: A Clockwork Orange, To Kill a Mockingbird
Like: The Bridge on the River Kwai, Platoon, Robocop
Haven't seen: The Third Man, Singin' in the Rain, The Shawshank Redemption, My Man Godfrey, The Last of the Mohicans
Even though Matt has ACO (one of my top 10), gotta go with Elizabeth overall.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Matt Pelham, by Johnny Appleseed's Route xinfinity
Elizabeth
---------
The Deer Hunter-Boring, overlong, and overrated, except for Walken. Your Dad's Favorite Drama
Psycho-Horror Classic Of Its Time, but c'mon, I knew the BIG SECRET of the film 5 years before I ever saw it!
Fargo-Not the Coen's best, but an accomplished film with fine acting from McDormand and Macy
L.A. Confidential-Masterpiece
This Is Spinal Tap-haven't seen
Das Boot-haven't seen
Three Colors: Red-haven't seen
To Live And Die In LA-well done action film done during Friedkin's downward spiral. DVD please
Amadeus-Classic well-made, Deserving Best Picture Winner
The Three Musketeers-haven't seen, though I just watched the recent Disney Version in my HT. Yuck!
Pelham
------
Third Man-Probing, confident Classic, though a bit dated
Bridge On The River Kwai-great old-fashioned war film
A Clockwork Orange-Grand Masterpiece
Platoon-Masterpiece
Singin In The Rain-Musical
To Kill A Mockingbird-Well-written drama, but not as good as many say
Shawshank Redemption-haven't seen
My Man Godfrey-haven't seen
Last Of The Mohicans-Good action, though not the best work of Michael "The Man" Mann
Robocop-Grand Masterpiece

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
John defeats Andy, 9-6.
Had a feeling it'd be close. It's as I figured, though: there aren't enough sci-fi/horror fans on the HTF. What a shame. All the more reason for me to stick around, I guess.
Alright, John, you beat me.:emoji_thumbsup: Are you really surprised? I probably have the most polorizing lineup in the tourney...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks