What's new

HTF Movie Draft! Join in quick! (1 Viewer)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Evan -
Love: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Fantasia
Like: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Haven't seen: The General, City Lights, Sunrise, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, High Noon, On the Waterfront
Andrew -
Love: Citizen Kane, Dr. Strangelove, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Do the Right Thing
Like: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 12 Monkeys
Dislike: Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski
Haven't seen: Unforgiven, Stalag 17
This is tough. Andrew's got a bunch of my favorites, but his list is tainted by two movies I really despise. On the other hand, a lot of Evan's list is unfamiliar to me... but he does have some MEGA favorites.
I guess I'll go with Andrew.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I really like Evan's list, With Star Wars and Raiders being the strongest picks for me. Butch Cassidy was good, On the Waterfront is good but nothing special, and Fantasia I never cared for. Treasure of the Sierra Madre :emoji_thumbsup:
Buy my vote goes go Andrew for snagging my beloved Pulp Fiction. Other great picks: Big Lebowski, Dr. Strangelove, Ferris Bueller and Do the Right Thing.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Andrew based largely on the strength of Pulp Fiction, Dr. Strangelove, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 12 Monkeys and Citizen Kane.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I have to go for the Grail fest that is
Well, it seems to be working.:D In all honesty, I did pick these films for personal preference, with little thought given to how well I'd fare in the eventual tourney. Except, of course, for picking Citizen Kane in the first round when my personal favorite movie of all time (FOTR) was still available.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This is the most difficult one so far.
Both of these lists contain some great films.
I have to vote for Evan Case because the inclusion of Raiders of the Lost Ark and The General sways me slightly in favour of his list.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I don't doubt that, but it is pretty obvious how much your tastes have been influenced by the good old HTF. I just hope when my turn comes around that I get at least one vote. We'll find out soon.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Evan - very difficult, but gotta go with the guy whose got Star Wars and Raiders. Andrew's got a very good list, but I really dislike 12 Monkeys, and feel that Ferris Bueller is kind of a lightweight choice. Very close call, though, two great lists.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I just hope when my turn comes around that I get at least one vote. We'll find out soon.
Don't forget you'll be up against me. In terms of overall quality(and obscurity), I'd say we're pretty evenly matched(though I think I've the edge in obscurity:D) so it'll all come down to whether we have more drama or horror fans around here...
NP: Magnolia(soundtrack) - Aimee Mann, et al

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
This film is the rape of a classic work. But if you enjoyed it, hey, more power to ya! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Andy, I really didn't think my choices were all that obscure. It seems like the scope of films here on the good old HTF gets narrower each day.

And as for you, Paul, I was going with a theme in my list and when I got to the end I was having trouble coming up with more titles. Earnest may not be a classic, but I think you are being just a touch hard on it. My main complaint is that it is a little disjointed and truncated, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I was looking more at what it is, rather than what it isn't.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Very tough match. Both lists are excellent, with not one film that I would not enjoy seeing again.
Both list have some (for me) masterpieces: ‘Kane’, ‘Strangelove’, and ‘Right Thing’ on Andrew’s list are balanced by ‘General’, and ‘Lights’ and ‘Waterfront’ on Evan’s. And both lists contain some films that are absolute must sees, even if they don’t quite fit in the very highest categories.
Both have a film that might not be on everyone’s top list: ‘Ferris Bueller’ and ‘Fantasia’, but both of which have ardent supporters.
I’m picking Evan for two reasons: he has a slightly more diverse list, and, for me, ‘Ferris Bueller’, is the one film one either list that I would not actively seek out and watch again (I’d only watch it, if I was around and it was on).
Evan Case

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
While I have only seen 4 films on Evan's list, on the strength of "Star Wars" and "Butch Cassidy", I'd have to pick his list.

On Andrew's, I've seen all BUT "Dr. Strangelove", "Citizen Kane" and "Stalag 17". Some good ones, but I really dislike "12 Monkeys".

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Evan wins in a huge comeback! (10-7)
Next matchup:
John Rice
Miller's Crossing
The Magnificent Ambersons
Fiddler on the Roof
Gone with the Wind
Doctor Zhivago
The Man in the Moon
Leaving Las Vegas
A Room with a View
The Importance of Being Earnest (2002)
Cinema Paradiso
Andy Olivera
Dark City
Poltergeist
The Thing (1982)
Event Horizon
Cube
Scarecrows
Lawn Dogs
Photographing Fairies
Altered States
Solaris (1971)
My vote goes to Andy.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
John - quite easily, though in fairness I haven't seen a number of Andy's movies. The fact that I don't really have a strong desire to see them, however, speaks volumes. My only quibbles with John's list are Doctor Zhivago (which gets worse upon repeat viewings) and "Earnest" which apparently takes serious liberties with Wilde's play (this has prevented me from seeing it).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Another tough match in that both lists are a very mixed bag. I'll give the nod to John, mostly for his inclusion of The Magnificent Ambersons. Kudos to Andy for including Scarecrows, a very effective (and unfortunately obscure) little horror film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks