What's new

Fathom Events Big Screen Classics - 2023 (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently TCM is out this year.

January 22, 25 - Roman Holiday
February 2, 5 - Groundhog Day
March 5, 8 - Casablanca
April 16, 20 - The Big Lebowski
May 14, 17 - Grease
June 11, 14 - Hairspray (John Waters Version)
July 16, 19 - National Lampoon's Vacation
August 13, 16 - Enter The Dragon
September 17, 20 - Rain Man
October 22, 23 - The Birds
November 12, 15 - Scarface
December 10, 13 - A Christmas Story

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Today was Roman Holiday. Has the jump cuts I saw 3 or 4 times in this movie always been there?

Not terribly attended, maybe 25 people. A featurette hosted by Leonard Maltin played after the movie.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I may consider Casablanca...

The only one I've attended had ~8 people in the theater - that was King Kong (1933).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A reminder that today and Wednesday is Casablanca. I plan to see it tonight at 7.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There were about 10 people at the screening. Leonard Maltin did the introduction. Presentation was fine from Fathom's end. Unfortunately both Regals near me that do Fathom Events use the SONY projectors that lose grey scale calibration quickly so B&W films never look right. Tonight it looked like the color temperature setting on a TV was set to 'cool' on the left side of the screen and 'warm' on the right side.

The McGuffin still makes no sense. There is no way that those letters of transit wouldn't have been immediately voided after the curriers were murdered.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A reminder that today and Wednesday is Casablanca. I plan to see it tonight at 7.

Thank you for the reminder! I’ve never seen this on the big screen before and will try to make it out tonight.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thank you for the reminder! I’ve never seen this on the big screen before and will try to make it out tonight.

I enjoyed my big screen experience which was before the pandemic.
My first time seeing this classic was at the now demolished Edwards Town Center 4 in Costa Mesa, CA for its 50th anniversary release in April 1992. Thoroughly enjoyed it then, and have enjoyed ever since. This was a 35mm presentation, and what surprised me was that they managed to project it in the original 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I watched Casablanca on the big screen for the first time last night, and the presentation was beautiful. I'm thoroughly impressed at how good this 80 year old film looked on the theater screen.
---------------

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My only beef with the Fathom Events presentations I've attended is when they show a LONG movie, such as The Ten Commandments or Gone With the Wind, that was intended to play with an intermission, they don't include an actual intermission. The movie pauses long enough for the entr'acte music to play, then it starts right up again. I know theaters hate showing long movies because it reduces their number of screenings, but I would think that having intermissions would give a boost to their concession sales while also giving the audience's bladders a break.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My only beef with the Fathom Events presentations I've attended is when they show a LONG movie, such as The Ten Commandments or Gone With the Wind, that was intended to play with an intermission, they don't include an actual intermission. The movie pauses long enough for the entr'acte music to play, then it starts right up again. I know theaters hate showing long movies because it reduces their number of screenings, but I would think that having intermissions would give a boost to their concession sales while also giving the audience's bladders a break.
When Fathom plays those movies I run for the bathroom as soon as the 'intermission' starts, I usually get back in the theater before the entr'acte music is done playing.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I quit going to these. The local theater, the Regal Edwards in Bakersfield, could not get the presentation right. I can give you a long list of the movies and the problems they had there. Problems that could have been fixed rather easily especially considering the premium price. Two years ago I got my act together enough to have a small home theater in my house and I would just as soon watch films there.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Nothing on this list that I consider a must-see. Possibly Grease or The Birds but that's about it.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
When Fathom plays those movies I run for the bathroom as soon as the 'intermission' starts, I usually get back in the theater before the entr'acte music is done playing.
I was lulled into complacency on those two occasions by the Ben Mankiewicz introductions that assured us the movie would be played just as it originally was, "with overture and intermission," and then leisurely strolled to the bathroom when the Intermission card appeared.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s a programming issue at the local theater, and I’d guess it’s compounded by Fathom possibly not providing the right cues with the DCP. Everything is automated now and most multiplexes don’t have a projectionist on staff in the building - they have one that usually covers the entire district of theaters who comes in once a week to program new show times. If that person isn’t specifically told “have the film stop for fifteen minutes at 1 hour and 29 minutes into the presentation” they won’t know to program it in there, and no one working at the theater the day of the show will have the knowledge that the intermission wasn’t programmed right or how to fix it.

The most practical thing to do in this day and age is what CBS did for the most recent My Fair Lady reissue - build the intermission time directly into the DCP so that rather than needing to program the server to stop playing the film at one time and resume playing at another, the server never stops playing, it’s just playing 15 minutes of a blank screen after the “intermission” card appears and before the “entr’acte” begins.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
That’s a programming issue at the local theater, and I’d guess it’s compounded by Fathom possibly not providing the right cues with the DCP. Everything is automated now and most multiplexes don’t have a projectionist on staff in the building - they have one that usually covers the entire district of theaters who comes in once a week to program new show times. If that person isn’t specifically told “have the film stop for fifteen minutes at 1 hour and 29 minutes into the presentation” they won’t know to program it in there, and no one working at the theater the day of the show will have the knowledge that the intermission wasn’t programmed right or how to fix it.

The most practical thing to do in this day and age is what CBS did for the most recent My Fair Lady reissue - build the intermission time directly into the DCP so that rather than needing to program the server to stop playing the film at one time and resume playing at another, the server never stops playing, it’s just playing 15 minutes of a blank screen after the “intermission” card appears and before the “entr’acte” begins.
The films that would most benefit by theatrical showings (Ben-Hur, West Side Story, 10 Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia) are rarely scheduled any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks