What's new

How The West Was Won... (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Not to nitpick but, the aspect ratio of 3-strip Cinerama is about 2.6:1. The scenes in How The West Was Won that were filmed in Ultra Panavision, had to be reduced to 2.6:1 for 3-strip Cinerama - see the bottom of the page of the page - http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcr3.htm

A 16-perf pull-across camera with a curved gate, and curved real element lens was designed but never used.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having just been told rather cryptically on another forum by someone apparently in the know that a disc of a fully restored How The West Was Won shouldn't be expected 'any time soon' and that it's been put on hold, I wonder if anyone here has heard anything?

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
For those in the L.A. area, or willing to travel, the full Cinerama version (3 projectors, seperate 7-channel mag sound) of HTWWW returns to the Arclight Cinemas in the Dome for a one week engagement, starting October 28. Daily showtimes at 1:30pm and 7:30pm. Reserved seat tix on sale October 6.

Ken New

Agent
Great news indeed! But for those of us without projection systems what sort of effect, if any, does Smile-box produce on widescreen CTR televisions?

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
You can see the Smilebox process in the new Oklahoma! set. They used it in the documentary about Todd AO to showcase both Todd AO and Cinerama and, IMO, it looks really good.

For those who don't care for it, it sounds like there's going to be a "flat" letterbox anamorphic version of HTWWW, so everyone should be happy.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great news and about time, a classic epic western, with one of the all time great film scores. And I don't mind the dividing lines at all, but if they can airbrush them out I won't be sad, well maybe a little, that's how I'll always remember HTWWW with those damn lines. :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, anyone with the new King Kong SE can get a glimpse of the Smilebox process - it's in the last chapter of the I'm King Kong! doco discussing Cooper's role in developing Cinerama. You'll see some glorious footage from the This is Cinerama! doco in Smilebox, some of which was also used to top and tail How The West Was Won. I've just watched it again, and I'm still smiling!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The lines don't seem so bad in these two shots...

But in motion the lines do sometimes waver and it can get a little distracting, but I won't complain if they're still there on the next release. :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
WOW!!!

I can't wait for this DVD! It's going to be so much fun to see how this turns out, what an exciting screening!

I know! I was actually grabbing the arms of my couch during the rollercoaster sequence! It looked incredible on my 100" screen!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks