What's new

Recommend me my next western to watch (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Finishing up The Quest now. Previously watched Have Gun, Will Travel, 1/2 hour Gunsmoke, How The West Was Won. Also, The Dakotas, which I loved. Looking for the next DVD set to start watching. I don't want gentle westerns. I'm looking for something with tons of mayhem and violence. Suggestions? And don't say Deadwood, already seen it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Finishing up The Quest now. Previously watched Have Gun, Will Travel, 1/2 hour Gunsmoke, How The West Was Won. Also, The Dakotas, which I loved. Looking for the next DVD set to start watching. I don't want gentle westerns. I'm looking for something with tons of mayhem and violence. Suggestions? And don't say Deadwood, already seen it.

Have you ever considered Hell On Wheels?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What about movies?

If you haven’t seen the Australian Western “The Proposition”, you should.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I will definitely second Hell On Wheels.

If you are considering films to view I will second John's recommendation of The Proposition (2005) and add Slow West (2015) and The Salvation (2014).

- Walter.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Neil Brock doesn't watch movies, fellas. I'm guessing that he wants TV series recommendations only.

Stagecoach West has its fair share of violent shoot-'em-up episodes. The first season of The Rifleman was often pretty gritty and violent, thanks to the input of Sam Peckinpah.

Others that can be relied on to deliver some good gun-slinging action:

Tombstone Territory
The Texan
Wanted: Dead or Alive
The Westerner
The Loner
The Rebel
Tate
Lawman
Rawhide

You've probably seen episodes of most of these already, Neil, but that's about the best I can come up with at the moment. If you can stretch your viewing habits to made-for-TV movies, then there were several good ones made in the '80s and '90s, such as The Sacketts, The Shadow Riders, Conagher, Last Stand at Saber River, etc. And of course the magnificent miniseries, Lonesome Dove.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Hondo,
Wagon Train,
Wanted Dead Or Alive
The Rebel,
Yancy Derringer,
Rifleman,
Branded,
Cheyenne.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't want gentle westerns. I'm looking for something with tons of mayhem and violence.
Based on that, along with my previous recommendation of The Proposition, I'll throw in Bone Tomahawk.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
You could shoot for The Dakotas, a knock-down gritty western about a marshal and his deputies in the Dakota territory!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Surely you've long since viewed "Tate" by now, haven't you, Neil? Or "A Man Called Shenandoah?" The latter isn't all that rambunctious, but I found it to be a very solid and sure-footed drama, despite the gimmick of the premise.

A lot of people here liked "The Loner," but I found it rather overly affected. Scripts had too much symbolism, stagey soliloquies, and a constant ambiance of world-weariness that came across as self-conscious. Nicely filmed, but the series gave me a headache.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
For shooting and mayhem, you'd want to go with The Rifleman and Yancy Derringer.

Also, The Westerner is short-run, half-hour and well worth seeing, regardless of its violence level.

Rawhide is probably my favorite classic-era western series, and has its share of mayhem, but isn't a constant "action" series. As far as violence, I'd say it's more-or-less along the lines of Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Bonanza.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The Big Valley is one of my favorite westerns. They certainly had their fair share of lunatics and psychopaths causing mayhem.

KjVuf-1499442363-8953-list_items-bigvalley_barbara.gif

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What's the feeling on Whispering Smith? I watched a couple when I first got the DVDs and that seemed fairly violent.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
What's the feeling on Whispering Smith? I watched a couple when I first got the DVDs and that seemed fairly violent.
I've never seen it, but I think that should be your next Western watch--especially since you already own the DVDs and never finished them.
I got the following quote from wikipedia (contains spoilers). Sounds like its right up your alley!

After the premiere of Whispering Smith, the U.S. Senate Juvenile Delinquency subcommittee claimed that the series was excessively violent, and Murphy rushed to its defense.[5]

A hearing before the subcommittee made the front page of The New York Times on June 9, 1961. With the lights dimmed in their meeting room, members of the subcommittee watched the second episode, "The Grudge". They saw a story of bloody revenge that included the following: a fistfight, a mother horsewhipping her son, a claim of sexual assault (fabricated) in a hotel room, a story told of a man laughing after shooting another man six times in the stomach, a gunfight ending in injury, and the same mother, at the end, accidentally shooting and killing her daughter instead of the target (Smith/Murphy).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think Tate, The Westerner, and perhaps even The Loner (even though, like Bert, it wasn’t for me) would be three you’d enjoy. Whispering Smith is good too.

Gary “based on what you’ve already liked, those should be up your alley” O.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I didn't recall Whispering Smith being that violent, at least not to the degree of the Dakotas, but I did enjoy it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself. I also very much enjoyed Tombstone Territory and Yancy Derringer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks