What's new

Recommend me my next western to watch (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Are you speaking of this (third-and-final-season release listing on EBay)?

That's the release I have. I believe the only issue I recall back when they were released is that they were converted from PAL masters. I tend to believe it as a possibility since one can see more jagged lines the I would have expected, which is not unusual when converting down from 576 lines to 480. However, it is still better than the Mill Creek release with the higher compression.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That's the release I have. I believe the only issue I recall back when they were released is that they were converted from PAL masters. I tend to believe it as a possibility since one can see more jagged lines the I would have expected, which is not unusual when converting down from 576 lines to 480. However, it is still better than the Mill Creek release with the higher compression.
Yes, that's it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

And I believe this release, and the other original Wanted releases, have subtitles, unlike Mill Creek's all-in-one (I may be incorrect).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
And I believe this release, and the other original Wanted releases, have subtitles, unlike Mill Creek's all-in-one (I may be incorrect).
I checked and I actually have both sets. The second one I inherited from a friend who passed away. Which one should I keep?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I checked and I actually have both sets. The second one I inherited from a friend who passed away. Which one should I keep?
I recall doing a comparison several years back between the BCI and MC releases. All I can say now is that I still have the BCI and no longer have the MC. The MC release definitely uses higher compression.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I recall doing a comparison several years back between the BCI and MC releases. All I can say now is that I still have the BCI and no longer have the MC. The MC release definitely uses higher compression.

Thanks for coming up with that answer-- the only release I have is Mill Creek's Special Edition all-in-one, and as such, I could not do a comparison.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Why do they think so?
Don't know, as I've never seen an episode. The show is infamous as the one that caused the implementation of rules prohibiting networks from being in the syndication business. That's because NBC was blackmailing stations into buying HC in order to get Bonanza. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't have been able to see that turkey. That was why CBS was spun off into Viacom, ABC into Worldvision and NBC into NTA/Republic.

Jtchance1

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
What I liked primarily about the series was that it didn’t fall into the same pattern that BONANZA had. What I mean is BONANZA started out with the concept that the Cartwrights were denying their empire against any and all comers. In later years that approach was somewhat diluted. THE HIGH CHAPPARAL had the lead character Big John Cannon carving out his empire against Apaches and bandits from both sides of the border. He hires a crew and makes of his ranch something akin to an armed camp with marksmen permanently posted on his rooftop as a first line of defense. His wife is killed. Looking to make an alliance with a neighboring rancher below the border he end up in what starts out as a marriage of state with Victoria Montoya.The characters grow over the course of time. Other family members Cannon’s brother Buck and Victoria’s brother Manolito are equally strong characters. Cannon’s son Blue not so much. The series benefited from being shot mostly on location at Old Tucson Arizona. BONANZA on the other hand shot mostly at Paramount studios. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks