What's new

How The West Was Won... (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, the CinemaScope screens installed in the 1950's only had a slight curve. Smileboxing them would probably do more harm than good.

Really, Smileboxing is absolutely necessary for 3-panel Cinerama because of the wide-angle field. Without it, it's very distorted.

Parts of the first Todd-AO films may have a little benifit, but only the bugeye lens shots (Fogg's first entry to the Reform Club, the bullfighters entering the ring, the shot of the elephant going through brush, the second to last shot of the film, etc). Only 2-3 shots in Oklahoma! would benifit from Smilebox. And most of the Super Panavision or Ultra Panavision films were not made for the intent of an ultra-curved screen like 2001: A Space Odyssey and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (the decision to make the latter in Super Cinerama was made after it was in the can).

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Well, that's why I mentioned the compromise, as I thought the same thing, if it was technically possible.
I meant my last sentence to read that I would like to see "The Robe" in a more compromised format.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
i see there's a new DVD coming out in the next month - anyone have any news about it being from the 3 strip cinerama prints or another 35mm printdown?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner stated in their chat with us about two months ago that a restored HTWWW will be coming out next year. That release next month is nothing, but a reissue with perhaps different artwork on the box.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Yes, I saw next month's reissue in an ad--it's just a repackaging to identify the film as one of the John Wayne reissues. I presume it's the existing DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think 3 synced DVD players front projectors and a curved screen would be the bare minimum for replicating the experience @ home, unless you have the money to set something like Crest Labs' screening room up.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Can't believe I dug this thread up, but I've been aching for the Arclight (or hell, any Cinerama theater in the country) to show this again.

The seam lines, nothing compared to one shot on one projector having completely different color timings (degraded print). And in HTWWW, the most offensive shot is the 70mm single camera rapids scene - like going from HD to SD.

Now, what I wish Warner would do for the 5 of us out here that would attempt to - release a three (3) DVD set; each DVD contains one of the three reels; either DVD can have the sound track.

Then I could get three DVD players, run them to three 4:3 projectors, and sync the players with one remote, and enjoy a miniature Cinerama screening in my own home. With DVD players and projectors on the cheap now, this wouldn't be that hard to pull off at all - the curved screen would be the biggest PITA to deal with. And I'd happily, at least once a year, set the system up to enjoy.

After seeing not "This is Cinerama" but HTWWW made me want to make my own 3 camera panoramic DV rig; problem is I'd have to watch the crap I filmed...

BTW - did this ever come out (the newly remastered version talked about)?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

That's just impossible since Cinerama uses three panels that are six perfs tall each. Even turning projectors on their side would not allow it to work.

Now, for Abel Gance's Napoleon, that's a good idea since it's three 4x3 panels.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
True of 2001, but IAMMMMW had special "rectified" prints issued for Cinerama screens. This is why RAH advocated a Smilebox version in any restoration project for IAMMMMW, when it was still viable. :frowning:

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I see a release of this film lsted in this weeks Round Up but it is only $9.99. This must be a rehash of the old release right?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Ugh, WB needs to just take it out of print and keep it out until the special edition comes out. It's one of the worst DVDs ever put out by a major studio.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I'd be happy for a slightly modified version that still allowed this to attempt to be replicated. The resolution increase over what a single DVD would be well worth it.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
DO NOT...REPEAT DO NOT buy the new versions of this film and the Green Berets which say John Wayne collection on the box. Both back covers list the films as being enhanced for Widescreen Tv's. The box is not correct.
I bought both of these yesterday and popped them in the dvd player today. They both are the same old, dirty letterbox transfers from the old discs.
Shame on you Warner! Lets hope that Borders will return these. I bought them with a gift card, but they had the buy three get one free deal.
I hope this is in the correct forum. Please also let the people who read the roundup know so they don't go and inadvertently buy the discs too.
-Mark

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm not buying this until we see reviews of a restored version from original Cinerama elements with a Smilebox transfer. Nothing else will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks