What's new

How the West Was Won (1962)

Rob4everbg

Auditioning
Real Name
Dorothy Haslop
Title: How the West Was Won (1962)

Tagline: It's here! The mightiest adventure ever filmed!

Genre: Western

Director: John Ford, George Marshall, Henry Hathaway, Richard Thorpe

Release: 1962-11-02

Runtime: 162

Plot: The epic tale of the development of the American West from the 1830s through the Civil War to the end of the century, as seen through the eyes of one pioneer family.

I want to comment on the Cinerama movie “How The West Was Won”... I was the blessed woman when I was younger in the 1962 or 1963 I saw the HTWWW in The Cinerama Format with my parents and to this day I still Love that movie of How The West Was Won and evening so I had seen it 2 or 3 years ago on Cable TV it had really brought back Wonderful Memories of That Movie that I had brought ithe Movie on The DVD and also Blue Ray but it still does not it justice without in the Cinerama Theatre that I still remember to this day and actually I am watching it right now in my DVD but I really want to see it again at the Cinerama Theatre but I am not a well person but I would go anywhere in the mainland of the USA and I live in Texas but I had saw it many years ago in a Indianapolis, Indiana plus the The Wonderful World is of The Brothers Gunn too BUT my Movie is HTWWW. That I want to see it again in Cinerama before I die cause I am not well but I am in my upper 60s...God Bless..
Dorothy

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Welcome Dorothy. I love How The West Was Won too and only wish I could have seen it in the Cinerama theater as you did so many years ago.

Hope you feel better and your wish comes true. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw How the West Was Won in Cinemascope at the Uptown Theater in Washington, D.C. in 1962 when I was about 8 years old, and will never forget the experience of stampeding buffalos thundering towards us on a screen(s) that stretched as far as the peripheral vision could see. Watching the film on blu-ray more recently, it's still a great cavalcade of classic film stars in iconic roles, but the script or stories are just so-so. We didn't care. It was overwhelming at the time, and resonated profoundly until I saw another Cinemascope picture there in 1968 - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Welcome Dorothy. I love How The West Was Won too and only wish I could have seen it in the Cinerama theater as you did so many years ago.

Hope you feel better and your wish comes true. :)

I was lucky to have seen it about eight times in 3-strip Cinerama upon it's first release and we also screened it where I worked in cinemascope and much later in 70mm at our cinerama cinema where I also worked. One can still see it on rare occasions in 3 strip at Bradford in the U.K.. I still have fond memories of being in a television mini series with Karl Malden

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wonder if there isn’t a theater is Dallas or Austin that couldn’t do justice to HTWWW?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw this, in its original release form, at the Hollywood Warner's Cinerama Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. The theater is still there, albeit boarded up. The 'Smilebox' format disc on the current blu-ray is outstanding and helps bring back many memories of those days. I believe "Cleopatra" was playing down the street at the Pantages but I'm not sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw this, in its original release form, at the Hollywood Warner's Cinerama Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. The theater is still there, albeit boarded up. The 'Smilebox' format disc on the current blu-ray is outstanding and helps bring back many memories of those days. I believe "Cleopatra" was playing down the street at the Pantages but I'm not sure.
That's a shame as I enjoyed the few viewings I had at that theater. I think I've watched 3 movies there over a many years span.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The theater is still there, albeit boarded up.

HUH??

The Cinerama theater is NOT closed and boarded up.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Hollywood Warner's Cinerama is closed and boarded up. That is where I saw "How the West Was Won", "Circus World," "The Hallelujah Trail, and "2001: A Space Odyssey."

At the Hollywood Cinerama Dome, still open of course on Sunset Boulevard, I saw "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, "Battle of the Bulge" and many other films.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
upload_2020-2-23_9-41-10.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hollywood Warner's Cinerama is closed and boarded up. That is where I saw "How the West Was Won", "Circus World," "The Hallelujah Trail, and "2001: A Space Odyssey."

At the Hollywood Cinerama Dome, still open of course on Sunset Boulevard, I saw "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, "Battle of the Bulge" and many other films.
That explains the confusion, it was the Hollywood Cinerama Dome on Sunset Boulevard that we saw "How the West Was Won". There are other theaters in that complex too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That explains the confusion, it was the Hollywood Cinerama Dome on Sunset Boulevard that we saw "How the West Was Won". There are other theaters in that complex too.
That’s the one I was referring to and thought was being discussed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I well remember dressing in my Sunday clothes and going with my aunt and uncle to see How the West Was Won in Cinerama on a Sunday matinee at the Carolina Theater in Charlotte. The movie was SO huge, bigger than life in every way, and I immediately bought the program book during intermission and later the soundtrack album which I played and played (and was so disappointed when the score lost to Tom Jones at the Oscars).

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I well remember dressing in my Sunday clothes and going with my aunt and uncle to see How the West Was Won in Cinerama on a Sunday matinee at the Carolina Theater in Charlotte. The movie was SO huge, bigger than life in every way, and I immediately bought the program book during intermission and later the soundtrack album which I played and played (and was so disappointed when the score lost to Tom Jones at the Oscars).

The two disc Turner/Rhino "How the West Was Won" Soundtrack is excellent. I agree. I also like the Kritzerland "Tom Jones" soundtrack. It was a good year for sure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, a friend gifted me that Rhino soundtrack CD release, and I was so happy to get it. Cleopatra was also nominated that year; Alex North's fine score was the choice of many to win. A very hard decision for Academy voters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The two disc Turner/Rhino "How the West Was Won" Soundtrack is excellent. I agree. I also like the Kritzerland "Tom Jones" soundtrack. It was a good year for sure.
Is that soundtrack still available?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Kevin Costner talks at the 2022 Oscar ceremony about how he saw How the West Was Won at the age of 7, and how much he loved the movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks