What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Heh, you guys up in Philly are gonna ruin another good closer. :D

Mesa kicked butt for awhile, then Mike Williams from Pittsburgh and now Wagner..his arm's gonna fall off I'm thinking.

The Phillies would have won it."
Ha! Yeah and if the Devil Rays would've had, like, better pitching then the Yankees wouldn't have been in the World Series. :laugh:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If the Braves had won more games in the playoffs they would have won the world series.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Roger is thinking of defecting to Mexico to get that Gold Medal. :D

Frank Robinson joins George Karl on the list of coaches no longer qualified to coach an international olympic qualifying team.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
Man, if the Yankees aquire Curt Schilling, I'm boycotting baseball. I'm hearing Weaver / Soriano to Arizona for Schilling now, with some kind of minor league prospect from the Yankees thrown in. Then the Yankees only have to sign one free agent starter (Colon). And apparently Leiber is no where near ready to come back, and is pitching with pain. Petitte to Houston appears to be all but a done deal with the Wagner money.

Todd Helton's on the block now apparently too, or at least no longer anywhere near untouchable. LA and ChiCubs looking at that. Good gravy, Helton BEHIND Sosa? *shudder*

I'm also reading Sheffield to Anaheim or San Fran, and possibly Tino Martinez to Tampa Bay, allthough for who I have no idea. Cardinals (Drew?) or Mets looking at Freddy Garcia.

Boston is thinking about Robby Alomar, depending on the price, and also looking at Rich Aurilia if he'll move to 2nd. They're also trying to pry Vasquez from under Steinbrenner, and they may give up BK Kim and David Ortiz to get him. Todd Walker wants back, but he wants a multi-year deal and I don't think he'll get it. Florida, maybe? Boston also may get Foulke if the A's can't re-sign him.

Lessee, what else have I read. Orioles REALLY want Vlad, and he's not opposed to Baltimore. They're also looking into Javy Lopez if they can't get Pudge. Tejada is being talked about in LA and in Chicago (Cubs), and Milwood may end up with the Mets, if the Braves can't afford him. The D-backs may make a run for him if they can get rid of Schilling in time (explain that to me, when they're going to the "youth movement", and cutting payroll).

Reds are trying to dump Griffey Jr, and may include another OF so they don't have to eat his salary. Cubs, Orioles, and Mariners are all in on that, apparently.

This is all speculation, and from a billion different sources, but some interesting stuff to think about.

DanFe

Second Unit
Steve,

Very happy. Will be nice to see what Bavasi does with arbitration players and if they can pick up that big power bat and lefty pitcher.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
One thing is for sure, Braves will not get anyone, they are in the business of giving up players now.

John Madia

Second Unit
I heard that Arizona is going to keep Schilling this year and make one more run at it with him and Johnson. I doubt he'll end up with the Yankees unless it's a mid-season deal.

Although Helton is a great player, it would be hard to trade him since his contract is not only expensive but extremely long.

Walker's probably going to be too expensive for Boston so they might go after Castillo. Vaszquez would be a great addition but they'd have to be nuts to give up Ortiz for him. Foulke might be to expensive but there are a lot of closers on the market so that might drive his price down. I think they're betting off signing LaTroy Hawkins instead and using Williamson to close.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
*throws his hands up*

So I keep wondering when the Dodgers will go get a bat or 2 or 3..

Make a deal guys!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ha! Yeah and if the Devil Rays would've had, like, better pitching then the Yankees wouldn't have been in the World Series.
The Phils had 18 blown saves. If there was a real closer in philly down the stretch, YES, the Marlins would not have won the wild card. Remember, the Phillies had the wildcard lead with 8 games left - and had it most of the season.

John Madia

Second Unit
Peter Gammons has a new column up at ESPN.com talking about what might be happening this Monday.

Schilling has a no trade clause and from what I've heard doesn't want to pitch in the american league. The Yankees have some interest but he rather pitch in Boston.

Nomar might be headed to the Dodgers if he's not interested in an extension with the Red Sox. They'd trade him if they could get A-Rod for Manny. Doesn't seem very likely.

Dennis

Second Unit
Orioles REALLY want Vlad, and he's not opposed to Baltimore. They're also looking into Javy Lopez if they can't get Pudge.
That would be fantastic. The Orioles have cleared up some money now that they don't have to pay for two players that don't even play due to injuries (Albert Belle and Scott Erickson). This would help turn them into a contender again. They might re-obtain Sidney Ponson, who had 15 wins at the time of his trade to the Giants.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Angel gets honored as AL Rookie of the Year (Royals SS) in closest vote in 24 years; Dontrell Willis wins in the NL (not so close)

I know a lot of people will be talking "upset" however, Angel had good statistics, in fact fantastic statistics for a SS, and his fielding was amazing for a rookie. In a few years, this kid could be a bigtime player.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad he beat a guy that is not a rookie. Just because it was his first season in the MLB doesn't make him a rookie ball player.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm just glad he beat a guy that is not a rookie. Just because it was his first season in the MLB doesn't make him a rookie ball player.
Yes, it does. He is a rookie to MLB. It was his first year in MLB, he is by definition a rookie.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I would have also considered Matsui a rookie. However, as far as importance to his team and year-round play, I would have still voted for Angel. In fact, I probably would have put Matsui third, behind Baldeli from Tampa Bay.

Berroa and Matsui had the same batting average (.287) Berroa had more Home Runs (+1) more steals (21 vs. 2). Berroa did this as a Short Stop instead of as an outfielder and to have a "Power" short stop is not the norm.. not by a big ways. Berroa set himself up as one of the better SS in the league during the second half of the season, and played excellent ball.

Matsui also could be deserving of the award; I would give the award for Berroa because, with numbers close to the same, I have to compare to the numbers within the position. Matsui would have been a middle-of-the-league Right Fielder for his power numbers, whereas Berroa was in the top of his position in the AL, which is saying something considering the class that plays SS in the AL right now.

I think it gives people something to debate; I know some writers voted Against Matsui, but it's hard to think they all flocked to Berroa. Berroa deserved the attention, and his win shouldn't tarnished ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks