What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, congrats to Eric Gagne for winning the NL Cy Young award for 2003, though I have some reservations on relievers winning such an award.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I know it's not typical for a relief pitcher to win the Cy Young but Gagne had phenomenal stats.

Gagne: 55 saves, 82.1 IP, 137 K, 1.20 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, .133 BAA

Schmidt: 17-5, 207.2 IP, 208 K, 2.34 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, .200 BAA

Prior: 18-6, 211.1 IP, 245 K, 2.43 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .231 BAA

Ortiz: 21-7, 212.1 IP, 149 K, 3.81 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .223 BAA

Had Schmidt won, it would'nt have gotten any arguements from me. I think his injuries near the end of the season took it away from him as he probably would've gotten another win or two. I don't think Ortiz really belongs in the same class as the other 3 performances - his 21 wins got him in the race though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ortiz was unlucky in that the Braves crap middle relief let in some runs that got charged to him, which caused his ERA to balloon.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I love how MLB is now going to do something about steroids. The first time they catch you it's just counseling. After that you are also taught how to hide it so when the second test comes around you don't actually get caught. Smart move.

Shouldn't you get suspended some games and fined on the 1st try? I mean they all know it's wrong, why are there 2nd chances? Fine them, suspend some games. Then on the 2nd time if they are caught again, suspend for a much much longer time.

These lack luster rules will only accomplish one thing. It will show people that MLB could care less about steroid use and teach players that they can get away with whatever they want.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
After that you are also taught how to hide it so when the second test comes around you don't actually get caught. Smart move.
Does Selig really think the players are going to be scared of the "random" testing that will take place next year?

It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of the BALCO investigation if Victor Conte ever tells all.

Just my .02, sorry for the rant.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I just heard that after 5 (!) times you are caught you are actually suspended for a year and fined $100K.

5 strikes and your out! well at least for one season. That 5% that was tested was not all players. Those are just the people stupid enough to actually get caught on scheduled test dates.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

this is called the Steve Howe/Darryl Strawberry Clause.:D

The Yankees actually hired Strawberry the other day for player development. He'll be quite a role model!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I think in the NFL, if you get caught taking steroids first time offenders get suspended 4 games - that's 25% of the season!! That's how you stop the players from taking this stuff.
Bullshit. The NFL players know how to cycle better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Or he can be a role model to young players to not waste your talent and abuse your body, otherwise, you can end up like me.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mets need to make a play for A-Rod, but not trade away the Farm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> I wasnt aware the Mets had a farm.

Sure, the Mets bought the farm a few years ago, remember? :)

Doug

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The penalties for being found taking performance-enhancing drugs are an absolute joke. Baseball has a real problem on its hands--5 to 7 percent of players were caught, and that's after they were warned of the tests and the tests weren't even screening for the designer growth hormone THG.

Five strikes and you're out? F-ing embarrassing.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
weren't even screening for the designer growth hormone THG.
1. Its in the agreement that they can't be tested retroactively for new drugs.

2. THG isn't a growth hormone. There's no reason to design a GH to get past tests because there is no test for GH.

John Madia

Second Unit
I have to agree that the steroids penalties are a joke but they're better than what they previously had: nothing. What's the chance of a player registering a false positive? If there isn't any, I don't see why disceplenary action isn't taken on the first offense.

Back to free agents, not surprisingly nothing really happened during the GM meetings. The only significant trade was Pierzynski to the Giants for Joe Nathan and two prospects. Supposedly the D-backs wanted Nick Johnson and Soriano for Schilling plus Mantei or Spivey. Yankees were unwilling to take that much salary and give up both Johnson and Soriano. Texas wanted Boston to take Jay Powell and Chan Ho Park with A-Rod for Manny. Boston obviouslly declined.

Boston resigned Timlin who will give them a solid set up man. As for starting pitchers, they're looking at Escobar and Pat Hentgen. Escobar may fit as he's a groundball pitcher but his salary might be too high. He was bi-polar this season with a home ERA of 5.7 and road ERA of 2.8. He does have a 7.7 ERA at Yankee stadium though. Miguel Batista might be a better choice (cheaper too) but he can only be counted on for six or seven innings. I like Brian Anderson better than Pat Hentgen in Fenway.

Boston is supposedly after Keith Foulke. Obviouslly Boston needed a closer this year but I don't think they should spend all the money on Foulke. There's enough quality closers on the market to drive down his price but it's still going to be rather high. I rather them stick with Williamson but if they want a new closer, they should go with Guardado instead. He's effective, would like to pitch in Boston and much cheaper.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Pierzynski trade, what's going to happen to Santiago? Is he going to retire finally? I could see him going to another club as a backup catcher for a club that had an inexperienced guy behind the plate, like the D-Backs. Of course, the whole inter-division trading might be taboo there.

Ok, lemme get this straight; DBacks wanted NJohnson and Soriano for Schilling and Mantei/Spivey? Hmm. Then the Yanks would more than likely need to look for a 1B because Giambi is there to DH for the most part. But the Yanks get yet another SP and either a sold man behind/in support of Rivera OR a solid replacement for Soriano. I'm a fan of Spivey's play; he had a slow start this year and right about when he was coming out of it, he got injured. I can see him averaging about 20 hr/80 rbi/.280/15-20sb if he stays healthy and plays 150+ games a year. If the DBacks lose Schilling, they'll still be in decent shape; they really hit the jackpot with Brandon Webb. He's solid.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Santiago is a free agent.

Its what the DBacks asked for. I suspect the Yankees couldn't say no any faster than they did. DBacks also wanted a prospect and the Yankees to pay Schillings 12m this year. Plus some of the deferred salary the DBacks already owe him? That's not a trade that's robbery.

Schilling has definitely helped the Yankees lower the price on him by saying he'd only go to Philly or NY.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Pierzynski trade, what's going to happen to Santiago? Is he going to retire finally? I could see him going to another club as a backup catcher for a club that had an inexperienced guy behind the plate, like the D-Backs. Of course, the whole inter-division trading might be taboo there.
Santiago is a free agent he can sign with whom ever he wants.

Just a little off topic, why is this thread titled "Off season"? Every knowledgeable fan knows that the off season is called the "Hot Stove League". I guess “Hot Stove” is a term that is becoming less and less known.

Edit: Phil got that one while I was typing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks