What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
It's only been one day since the World Series came to an end but already 35 players have scheduled for free agency. To see how the free agents affect your team, go to:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1647601

I'm a Red Sox fan but it looks like they won't change much. They are committed to $110 million dollars in payroll so they could only get a few guys. I think that they'll end up resigning Todd Walker. They had interest in Luis Castillo but are unsure how he'll play on a big market team. I'm guessing that they try to sign Kelvim Escobar since they seemed pretty high on him. Bartolo Colon will cost too much and they have worries about his health. Little's almost certainly gone (possibly to Baltimore) and it looks like Glenn Hoffman is the number one candidate to take his place.

I think they're regretting signing Manny Ramirez to a long term contract. He's a great hitter but I think they'd be much better off trading him and using the money to get a top tier pitcher and someone like Shannon Stewart to replace him.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
No clue what will happen with the Braves. It should start in the next couple of months. I was thinking about whether this post would happen, will be good when we hear stuff so we can come here and bitch. At least that's what happens when you are a Braves fan. I'm 100% sure none of the moves I would want will happen.

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
mariners need to hire a GM and get some people who will not quit in Sept

Braves need to get Millwood back

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
In other news:
The Boston Red Sox elected not to bring back Grady Little to manage next year, GM Theo Epstein plans to hire the Saugus Little League Coach in his place. He doesn't plan on signing any free agents this winter and believes Casey Fossum and free agent Brian Rose can fill the voids of #2 and #5 in the rotation. "Starters by committee" on the mound and in the field is his new motto for this offseson. Epstein also plans to hire former Sox slugger, Jose Canseco, to give Trot Nixon pointers on how to position himself better in right field. "At least Trot will be able to get his head on the ball the next time a fly is hit his way."

Benny G

Second Unit
I find it rather funny that the espn article mentions one of Javy's homeruns being a pinch hit:

After hitting just .233 with 11 homers and 52 RBI for the Atlanta Braves in 2002, Lopez bounced back to belt 43 homers -- including one as a pinch hitter -- and drive in 109 runs while batting .328 this past season.
Is there any reason why that one's so special?!

Devin U

Second Unit
Baseball doesnt have to end in Oct. Come tho Phoenix and watch the fall leauge and see all the top farm league talent for like 2 bucks a game.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Except for Clemens retiring there won't be many changes with the New York Yankees.;)

Crawdaddy

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Benny:

Because they were talking about how many HRs he hit as a catcher, 42, but he hit 43 for the season, but wasn't playing @ C. So, the 1 PH homer doesn't coutn towards the record.

And no one currently with the Sox really had much to do with signing Manny... and Tood Walker... I put more weight on 600 medicore regular season ABs than 40 post season ones...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Tood Walker... I put more weight on 600 medicore regular season ABs than 40 post season ones...
Still, there's not much in the way of 2B's on the free agent market this winter - Walker and Castillo are basically it. (I wasn't terribly fond of the Sanchez-Suppan/Saurbeck series of trades at the time, either) Maybe Kaz Matsui could be convinced to play second.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
...And it appears Gump is officially kaput. The list of names the Herald says are being considered as his replacement seem unlikely to me (they'd be considering Charlie Manuel but not Larry Dierker or Bobby Valentine?), although the idea of Jerry Remy taking over is interesting. It would mean someone else broadcasting the games (note to NESN: you already have Dennis Eckersley on the payroll), but he is one of the most prepared and respected broadcasters in the game, and could probably quickly make peace with anyone upset over Grady Gump being sacked.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
And the Rem-dog also doesn't believe in going by statistics, so I'd say he's pretty unlikely too. And I'd be surprised to see Dierker not considered too...

I think they're just pulling names out of a hat, at this point.

And Jason, agreed on Walker. I guess it's OK to re-sign him, but not for any large amount of money at all. Just get someone that can play 2B well and hit them at the bottom of the lineup (where Walker should have been most of the season.)

But, I don't think there's any way that Theo would make a big investment in Walker. It's rather re-assuing to have managment that I 'believe in' for the first time ever! :)

John Madia

Second Unit
Grady's officially gone. Even though they don't have a big name manager lined up, there's no way they could keep Grady in Boston after game 7. I'm not sure how this is going to affect the clubhouse but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

I think that Roberto Alomar is also going to be on the market. Still, they'll probably end up signing Walker since he's been tested in Boston and likes it there. He's not that bad of a fielder, it's just that every error he made is magnified.

Their key need is pitching. Kelvim Escobar would help, but they'd still be juggling Kim/Fossum/Arroyo for the number five spot. They can try trading for Vazquez but I don't think that will happen. LaTroy Hawkins would probably be a good idea for their bullpen.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think that Roberto Alomar is also going to be on the market.
He's also 36 and has been declining steadily the past few years. I doubt he'll be high on Theo's list.

But, uh, if Big Stein decides he wants a 2B with a good defensive reputation for when he moves Soriano to CF or trades him, I'm sure he can be had for $10M/year. :)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
As far as their GM search, the Mets reportedly were turning to Atlanta to seek permission to interview GM John Schuerholz.

Schuerholz did not immediately return calls for comment. The Mets have still not resolved their situation with Montreal GM Omar Minaya.
I always figured when Schuerholz left Atlanta it would be to retire. Not that I care if he stays, but I can’t see him in NY. I think he’d find it about as accommodating as Glavine did, and he doesn’t seem to have the stomach for it. I mean, he whines about the little bit of criticism he gets here, and that for sure is no where near the scrutiny of NY.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

I heard that proposition on the radio on the way home today. Maybe you heard the same thing? I think they made a good point in saying that the Sox need a strategist, not a players manager. Davey wins everywhere he goes and has helped turn around some poor teams, but with Boston, he'd be getting a very good team. How much is he enjoying retirement? Looks like he told the Orlando Business Journal when he took a job as the Rollins College special assistant to the director of athletics:

I have no intention of returning to Major League Baseball.
I liked the more interesting proposition that Torre leave the Yanks and just to get at George, take the Sox position. :D I'd love it! I do think Willie Randolph will get a look, maybe he'd bring Zimmer with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks