What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Sheff made 11 Million in 2003 and made 66 over 6 years. He is reported to want a deal like Thome, 6 years 72 million. Anyone that offers gets him, paper said today he just wants stability for his family now.

Dennis

Second Unit
Looks like the inhabitants of Yankeeland are entertaining the idea of trading Alfonso Soriano. It's amazing, the Yankee motto should be "What have you done for me lately"? Granted he had a bad postseason, but you know how many teams would love to have him? Even after going through a couple of slumps during the year he was still able to put up good numbers. The crosstown Mets wish they had a player like Soriano and the Yankees are looking to get rid of him.

He's the scapegoat, a couple of other players didn't do too well either but there's not much said about them. Why not? Jason Giambi is untradeable (big contract and he might end up being a permanent DH) and the Yankees don't want to admit they made a mistake trading away their best pitching prospect for Aaron Boone.

John Madia

Second Unit
I don't think that the Soriano for Beltran trade would've been bad for the Yankees. Beltran's a great player and is going to be a big free agent at the end of the 2004 series. The trade is just about dead anyway.

Giambi is more than likely going to become a permanent DH so that's why Nick Johnson isn't going anywhere. They're also pretty high on the guy or else they would've let him go in a trade to get Javier Vasquez.

Unsurprisingly, noone claimed Manny. I don't think the Red Sox would trade him if it meant eating half of his salary but they might do it for 5 or 6 million. Some teams might show interest if they fail to get Vlad or Sheffield.

Due to Sheffield's age, I don't think he's going to get a long term contract for that kind of money. He could probably get around 13 million for 2 years but if he wants a long term he's going to have to lower his price.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
If, and that's a BIG if, Beane goes anywhere, it's to the Dodgers.

I liked the move the Red Sox made, placing Manny on waivers. That was Theo Epstein DARING George Steinbrenner to do it, and I bet he was close.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Sheffield surface in Tampa. It's where he lives in the off-season, and they seem to be coming around now under Pinella's thumb. Anyone also catch Zimmer heading to Tampa?

I don't think the Yankees will trade Soriano. That's asinine. He's the cornerstone of that franchise for a long time to come, and I don't think that Cashman will let that happen (Assuming Cashman has a say in the team anymore). I wouldn't be suprised, though, to see them try an Aaron Boone and change (Weaver, if they ate some of his contract?) for Beltran deal though

I do think that the Yankees will sign a few guys this winter, though. Colon's a mortal lock to go to New Yuck. I don't think Vlad wants to go there, so maybe Sheffield. I think Vlad ends up in Baltimore or L.A., somewhere a little more laid back.

I also see the Cubs making some moves. I've heard rumblings about a Richie Sexson to Chicago move. Wonder what that would take? I've also heard a Griffey Jr to Chicago deal was in the making. I think the Cubs want another impact bat to compliment Sammy.

Maddux to the Padres, if he doesn't re-sign with the Braves. I think Milwood comes back to Atlanta if that happens. If not, possibly New York or Anaheim.

It's going to be a fun offseason, that's for sure.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Griffey Jr to Chicago?? HA. That will make the fans happy when in week 4 he gets hurt.

Dennis

Second Unit
Giambi is more than likely going to become a permanent DH so that's why Nick Johnson isn't going anywhere. They're also pretty high on the guy or else they would've let him go in a trade to get Javier Vasquez.
I know about Giambi, I like Johnson better but a first baseman is easier to obtain than someone with the potential of Soriano.

The "deal" for Javier Vasquez is not dead yet, and Omar Minaya wants Johnson, he's cheaper than Soriano who's eligible for arbitration and will probably get a huge raise which Montreal will not be able to afford. This is the trade I'm thinking of: Nick Johnson, Jeff Weaver (Yankees pay for his salary), Juan Rivera and maybe a Minor Leaguer for Vasquez and Jose Vidro with Soriano moving to the outfield. It's not exactly what I want, but it makes sense.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't know what the odds are, but I personally like the idea of Maddux going to the American league. He didn't have a great year, but with the American league, he'll face people who rarely saw him(only in All-Star games or World Series). And his aging body could use the break as the DH hits for him. But for some reason, I have a feeling he may sign with the Mets.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the Phillies got what they've been missing - a closer. According to Peter Gammons the Phillies got Wagner for Brandon Duckworth and others.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1652893

Nick Johnson, Jeff Weaver (Yankees pay for his salary), Juan Rivera and maybe a Minor Leaguer for Vasquez and Jose Vidro with Soriano moving to the outfield.
Minaya wouldn't do this deal. The Yankees would have to give up a lot more to get both Vidro & Vazquez. They may be able to get Vazquez for Johnson & Weaver (with Steinbrenner picking up most of his salary, if not all of it).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
That sound you guys heard a few hours ago was me doing a 40-minute jig while screaming in glee.

Billy Wagner!

Welcome to Philly!!!!!! :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Damn Drayton McLane! Trade away the 3rd best closer in baseball for a marginal starter and 2 minor-league pitchers, when most of their best players in their farm system are pitchers. Bad move, as far as I can tell.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Braves picked up the $5.7 million option year for Russ Ortiz. At that price, and given his success of late, he's a bargain.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I highly doubt that will happen, at least I'm begging for it not to happen. I would hope they learned from signing his old teammate Glavine, they need to get younger not older, especially in the rotation.
I hope it doesn't happen either. But it would be a typical Mets move. Then next year Maddux will go 8-14 and we'll be relying on Steve Trachsel our [sarcasm] "ace" [/sarcasm] to help get the wildcard.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
:)

"If the Phillies had had Billy Wagner this season," a longtime National League scout said Monday, "the Marlins wouldn't have won the World Series -- because they wouldn't have won the wild card. The Phillies would have won it." from ESPN.com Article

Damn you Ed Wade! Why didn't you do this in AUGUST?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks