What's new

help with installer recommendations (1 Viewer)

DarrylR

Auditioning
I posted this in the general HT forum but thought I might get more feedback here. I know it's a speaker forum but I was hoping someone could comment on the choice of speakers in relation to the system as a whole. Any comments on the other components would be appreciated as well.

I have been scanning these boards for several months trying to learn as much as I can about home theater so that I can be an educated consumer. I'm not a DIY'r but like to know what I'm paying for. I recently had my basement finished and built a dedicated home theater (17' x 15') no windows and 9 ft ceilings. We are using a Home Theater company to install our theater and would like some advice on their recommendations. I can't nor do I want to do it myself so I realize that I am limited to whatever manufacturers my installer deals with and stuck paying MSRP on many of the products they are using. With all that in mind, I would appreciate this boards comments and suggestions on their recommendations.

Seleco Domino 20 Projector or Runco CL-510(Which one?)
Marantz SR7300 Receiver
PerfectVu 106" 16:9 fixed screen(anyone heard of this company?)
Marantz DV4300 DVD Player
Niles FG00477 Intellicontrol remote(do I really need this?)
JM Lab Cobalt Series Speakers & Subwoofer(CC800 center;816s fronts;SW800 subwoofer; SR800 surrounds)

I plan to watch DVDs, Satellite(High Def), and sporting events on regular TV.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Darryl, my thoughts are not born of much experience, but here goes.

Sounds like you have a terrific room, first class HT.

1) You might get better feedback on the screen and projector in the Display Devices forum.

2) My impression of the Marantz stuff is that it is very good stuff, that perhaps is more geared to music than movies. Others may have more informed opinions.

3) Your not too far from a Gramphone (in Gaithersburg, perhaps in norther VA too), where you could demo the Marantz stuff.

4) If it were me, I would insist on hearing the speakers. Perhaps have them on approval, or arrange your contract to add/deduct $xxx for specific speakers. I'm not familar with the JM Lab stuff at all.

5) If this is your installers recommendation, perhaps they could connect you with someone for whom they have installed a similar system to hear the results.

6) Some might suggest (in the receivers forum) that seperates might be appropriate.

Good luck with this, it's certainly serveral leagues above what I'm trying to put together!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks