What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help on upgrading (1 Viewer)

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Well, I finally bought my first house and I've decided to upgrade my home theater setup. I had previously been running a sort of put-together-from-pieces type setup consisting of two 15" floorstanding KLH 4-ways for the fronts and 2 small Pioneer speakers for the rears and 2 matching Pioneer center speaker for the front and rear center channel. All of this running off my trusty JVC RX-F10 receiver.

Now I want something that not only sounds good, but also isn't such an eyesore. I'm looking for advise on a few things, and as much as I'd love to say money is no object, it is so I'd like to keep things reasonably priced.

First is the receiver - Do I stay with the JVC, or get something different. My main concern is getting the most out of my PS3 and HD-DVD player, while still having room to plug all my other stuff in. I fear the lack of HDMI may be holding me back with this receiver, but I could be wrong. I'd like others opinions on this.

Secondly is the speakers - I'd like something that sounds great not only in 2ch stereo, but also for full surround. I'd like something that doesn't take up as much room as the KLH's I previously had too. Do I go with a slim floor standing speaker at all 4 corners? Or just up front, then get different rears? And what brands/models sound good?

Lastly is the sub - I have an original Tempest I've been saving for a custom sub application, but I'm beginning to wonder if this will be to big, to loud, and to time consuming to make (not to mention the addition of an amp) and if I should consider something else. I also have a pair of TC-Sounds 8" subs I was considering making into a nice dual 8" sub, but don't know how that would sound. I'm looking for something with considerable amount of bass for movies/gaming but not so much that it has to shake the walls. I just don't want that crappy HTiB 'subwoofer' sound.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Can't really help you there. Not my thing :frowning: . There are many others around here who are very knowledgable about subs, though.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Hopefully someone will chime in here. My 3 options are: Build my 15" tempest sub and live with the fact that its going to take up way to much room, Build my dual TC-Sounds 8" sub and hope I like the way it sounds, or purchase a pre-built unit such as the svs. I've never heard any higher end pre-built setups so I really don't know if I'd like that either.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There must be hundreds of brands to choose from. We all have our favorites but speakers can sound vastly different from one another and you might not like what I like. I like to use PriceGrabber.com or Shopping.com to see whats currently available. Then there are the internet direct companies like Ascend, Aperion Av123 (Rockets, xl-s) Audioinsider and Ozhometheater (Swans) and probably others. Even Emotiva and OutlawAudio are into speakers now, though a bit pricey. See, it's a jungle out there.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the info and the link, looks like I've got a bit of reading and shopping to due on both my speaker setup and receiver choice.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Well, I've decided on the Yamaha RX-V663 for a receiver since its both in my price range and has all the features I'm looking for.

As for speakers, I've decided to get a package deal to make sure there is no sound variations between speakers. Now I just need to decide which ones. Use will be about 1/3 movies, 1/3 gaming, 1/3 music and I'm debating between bookselfs and towers in front.

And now for my biggest problem, the subwoofer. The room is carpeted so I'm leaning against downfiring subs. Now, problem 1 - Whats the sound difference between a forward facing sub with forward facing port and a forward facing sub with rear facing port? The sub will be placed in a corner of the room most likely. Problem 2 - Do I get one slightly more expensive 12" sub or 2 slightly less expensive 10" subs for a more even bass sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks