What's new

GAME: Guess an upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
lark144 said:
It's absolutely true that USED CARS was a box office failure, I think it only lasted one week in first run theaters in Manhattan, but I don't see what that has to do with the quality of the film itself. USED CARS was number #5 on Dave Kehr's ten best list for 1980, in between THE BIG RED ONE & QUADROPHENIA. I believe Andrew Sarris had nice things to say about USED CARS as well. Billy Wilder's ACE IN THE HOLE was a tremendous box office failure also, or if you prefer, bomb, yet today most film historians consider the film one of his best. I think the same re-appraisal has happened to USED CARS. It's not about nostalgia, but rather quality. I also recall (though I was only seven at the time) that Hitchcock's VERTIGO was not only a box office failure, but panned by most critics in the US at the time. Today it is considered the greatest film ever made, at least according to the Sight & Sound poll. Who knows? In another twenty or thirty years, the same may happen to USED CARS.
Oh boy! It's about to start in one, two, three, ....

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
haineshisway said:
Classic Golden Age titles will sit there gathering dust while every 80s piece of crap sells out immediately.
I can agree with this point to some extent. I'm of the "80's Generation" myself (42 years old now), and I too wonder at just what exactly makes some of the 80's dross so incredibly popular now. The only real explanation is nostalgia from people my age, plus quite possibly a bit of a flavor of the month aspect as well, making these 80s titles seem like classics to younger people.

Certainly it's amazing to see classic Twilight Time releases like Pal Joey, Picnic or The Big Heat languish, while something like Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead or Christine sell out within days. Even Enemy Mine, which is a well-meaning but definitely mediocre movie, sells much better than the mid-century classics. Apparently solid acting, a great storyline, and beautiful cinematography are out of fashion at the moment :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
You said very very close to it. Close to the best film ever made, right?

I said I dont even think it's Hitch's best film or his secnd best film.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Before that. I said that Used Cars was the better film, not Vertigo, therefore when I replied to your comment, I was saying that Used Cars was if not the best film, very close to it...

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Another kid of the 80s that grew up watching Used Cars, never got around to getting the DVD, so I'm looking forward to upgrading my Laserdisc! I did see this on I think Retro HD channel and it looked pretty good, but I never know if they are doing up converts or legit HD showings, especially of non mega hit movies. But I watched this on HBO so many times thru my teens, still one of my all time favorites. Heck living in the tiny town I did growing up, you never really knew if something was a hit or not at the time, if HBO played it a lot, it must be a hit! Which also explains Xanadu and a few others that seemed like hits to me. :)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
ROclockCK said:
But haven't there been movies from every generation which exited theatres in body bags, and yet found renewed life via repertory and revivals? I just think the home video era has made these cult resurrections easier (and faster)...fewer oddities fall through the cracks as they once did for us bomb babies with more limited second chances for rediscovery and re-appreciation. Heck, until home video, I couldn't find anyone able to even name a Samuel Fuller or Nicholas Ray film.

The fan in all of us has been blessed by this medium.
You're completely right. Take a look at Nick Ray's Bigger than Life, and Elia Kazan's Wild River. Both failed abysmally at the box office but are now widely appreciated by cinephiles.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Love that movie....Jack Lemmon..:) How about GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM...fun movie Jack Lemmon, Dorothy Provine, Romy Schneider and Edward G robinson!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MORE HARRYHAUSEN!!!

I'd like to think that his death would not be the sole reason for getting more of these out, and that TT was already in the planning stages for a gorgeous 2.35:1 release of FIRST MEN IN THE MOON. I'd love Gulliver and Golden Voyage Of Sinbad, also.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I have (yet another) crackpot theory about that. Isn't it possible - even likely - that when Sony abandoned their plans to release another Harryhausen set, they had already remastered Mysterious Island for HD, but not yet done the same for the rest? I mean, after the solid performance and subsequent sellout of TT's sole Harryhausen/Herrmann title to date, I have difficulty believing they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to release more...but are probably just waiting for fresh masters from the Sony/Crisp hopper.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Mr. Epstein,I hope to see another one of these at some point, these guessing contests. I made the request to TT, They told me to ask you. So now I have. Thanks.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
BPullen said:
Mr. Epstein,I hope to see another one of these at some point, these guessing contests. I made the request to TT, They told me to ask you. So now I have. Thanks.
Hear, hear!

We want more guessing games:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks