What's new

GAME: Guess an upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
FoxyMulder said:
I can beat that, i was banned after just seventeen minutes because i was "AVS forum member FoxyMulder" - i'm also banned at AVS forum and AVforums, not because i'm a disruptive member or anything, i actually asked for my account to be cancelled at both the latter sites due to their restrictive policies and their overbearing moderator rules which i disagreed with, instead of deleting the account they simply banned me, not what i wanted as they get to keep all my former posts.I'd say keep the quiz formula which allows us to ask one question but tighten up the rules on what can be asked.
Your user name was "Avs forum member foxymulder" why would you do that.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TonyD said:
Your user name was "Avs forum member foxymulder" why would you do that.
That's what their reply was to me to when i went back to the site to post approx seventeen minutes later, i found i was banned and that was their reason, no other explanation was given to me and i had broken no rules, ( I didn't have time to break the rules ) anyways so people know who i am, i use the same screen name at any site i join, it worked against me at that site.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
haineshisway said:
Of course they do. I could tell you stories, oh, yes, I could tell you stories, but decorum forbids. :) Even though I don't really post there anymore, I was just banned because I wrote a little blog about home theater enthusiasts - somehow I guess they took it as being all about them :) Banned without even making a post - that must be a first, I think.
I read your blog concerning HT enthusiasts and I must say I agree with you. I'll be the first one to say I don't know a lot of how transfers are handled but reading and asking questions on HTF has improved my smarts on the subject. On the other hand I will debate anyone on digital projection in Theatres. And "orange & teal" is not in my vocabulary.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
FoxyMulder said:
That's what their reply was to me to when i went back to the site to post approx seventeen minutes later, i found i was banned and that was their reason, no other explanation was given to me and i had broken no rules, ( I didn't have time to break the rules ) anyways so people know who i am, i use the same screen name at any site i join, it worked against me at that site.
I do too while TonyD is only used at HTF it's Whotony everywhere else but not "HTF member Whotony" just simpy whotony.Anyway I haven't seen Ised Cars in a million years but not sure it's one I want to buy for $35 but for those that do i'm happy you'll be able to get a copy.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TonyD said:
I do too while TonyD is only used at HTF it's Whotony everywhere else but not "HTF member Whotony" just simpy whotony.Anyway I haven't seen Ised Cars in a million years but not sure it's one I want to buy for $35 but for those that do i'm happy you'll be able to get a copy.
I haven't seen Used Cars in years, what's interesting is that i wanted to buy Christine, i thought it wasn't yet out, it seems i'm behind the times and it came out ages ago and is sold out, so that's one i missed out on, hopefully a European release somewhere down the line since i know As Good As It Gets got a German release as well as the Twilight exclusive USA release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Good idea, Steve. And very funny insesrt - ah, the memories for us old timers.

I got to the thread way too late, but I enjoyed making guesses until the inevitable correct answer was given.

Thanks, Ron!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
attachicon.gif
MOV_cc85c404_b.jpg

WE HAVE A WINNER:

USED CARS

To be released, April 2014

Congrats to Anthony_H

(You were sooooo close FoxyMulder)

Can't believe that this was guessed in under an hour.

Discussion is open....

This is a favorite among many HTF members over the years. I love this film.
Was very happy to learn that it was getting a Blu-ray release.
What's funny is I remember viewing this film in an empty movie theater in Danville, Illinois back in the summer of 1980. There might have been 4-5 people in the theater besides myself during that afternoon matinee and what triggered my memory of it was how often I laughed out loud during that screening. The film didn't make any money and didn't become a cult favorite until it started playing on HBO and such.

Edit: After thinking about this some, it might have been Champaign, Illinois as I preferred those movie theaters compared to the ones in Danville, where I lived back then. Memories do get a little foggy after 32 years or so.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It is funny how these one-time box-office bombs are now considered classics - people simply forget that they were bombs theatrically. Now it's a classic, thanks to a whole generation of 1980s youngsters, who are unlike any generation I've ever seen in terms of nostalgia for movies they saw in their formative years - their fan-ness knows no bounds :)

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Not a guesses, but demands:

ALIEN NATION
SPICE WORLD
GHOSTBUSTERS II
GLORIA
BAD BOYS II
TOOTSIE
KARATE KID III
THE NEXT KARATE KID
SHOCK TREATMENT
THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE
BLANKMAN
JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES
THE NET
ALL THE KING'S MEN
THE FLY (1958)
RETURN OF THE FLY
THE FLY II (1989)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
It is funny how these one-time box-office bombs are now considered classics - people simply forget that they were bombs theatrically. Now it's a classic, thanks to a whole generation of 1980s youngsters, who are unlike any generation I've ever seen in terms of nostalgia for movies they saw in their formative years - their fan-ness knows no bounds :)
But haven't there been movies from every generation which exited theatres in body bags, and yet found renewed life via repertory and revivals? I just think the home video era has made these cult resurrections easier (and faster)...fewer oddities fall through the cracks as they once did for us bomb babies with more limited second chances for rediscovery and re-appreciation. Heck, until home video, I couldn't find anyone able to even name a Samuel Fuller or Nicholas Ray film.

The fan in all of us has been blessed by this medium.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't care if a film is considered a box office flop, if i like it then i like it, there are many box office hits that i dislike and wonder what people saw in them.

@FanboyZ, yeah some good films i'd like to see on blu ray in that list of yours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I don't think that's fair! There are many box office failures prior to to the 1980s youngsters that became classics later on, such as It's a Wonderful Life and The Night of the Hunter to name a few of them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My vote here is that the game involves Ron giving out a clue and then people can guess but I think the one guess only thing works because with the group posting here these are going to get sorted out pretty quickly. If you only have one guess you will need to use it wisely.

So it would be sort of a Ron issues clue, players can discuss clue, then chose to make a guess or wait for the next clue. All the pressure would be on Ron to come up with some obscure clues but if we can ask questions it will always I think be a short game...particularly questions like "Who is the lead actor?" and "What studio released it?"

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
I don't think that's fair! There are many box office failures prior to to the 1980s youngsters that became classics later on, such as It's a Wonderful Life and The Night of the Hunter to name a few of them.
I think everyone has misunderstood my point :) It's in there somewhere. I understand that things have become classics - The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, later on Seconds and The Swimmer. I don't put stuff like Used Cars in with that crowd, I'm afraid, but it's now considered a classic and people have no idea it was originally a flop - that was my point - and it has happened with just about every 80s movie because of that particular generation - it's not just the movies themselves, it's the soundtracks too, which is why I make the observation. Classic Golden Age titles will sit there gathering dust while every 80s piece of crap sells out immediately. I've never quite seen anything like it. I was not making a generalized statement, I was making a specific one. Want another example of a movie of the 80s that was a flop and a film that was mostly lambasted by the critics but is considered a classic by the generation who grew up with it? The Goonies. Unlike Wizard of Oz and Wonderful LIfe, which were not successful first time around but were GREAT movies from the get-go, The Goonies wasn't good when it came out and it isn't good now, IMO - but you wouldn't know that from the folks who saw it in their formative years - for them, it is an all-time classic. Hope this makes sense.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Perhaps to prolong the game each member could ask one question and have one guess. Then Mr Epstein posts only at the end of each day with the winner (the first to guess correctly) or indicates who is warm etc and provide a further clue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I think everyone has misunderstood my point :) It's in there somewhere. I understand that things have become classics - The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, later on Seconds and The Swimmer. I don't put stuff like Used Cars in with that crowd, I'm afraid, but it's now considered a classic and people have no idea it was originally a flop - that was my point - and it has happened with just about every 80s movie because of that particular generation - it's not just the movies themselves, it's the soundtracks too, which is why I make the observation. Classic Golden Age titles will sit there gathering dust while every 80s piece of crap sells out immediately. I've never quite seen anything like it. I was not making a generalized statement, I was making a specific one. Want another example of a movie of the 80s that was a flop and a film that was mostly lambasted by the critics but is considered a classic by the generation who grew up with it? The Goonies. Unlike Wizard of Oz and Wonderful LIfe, which were not successful first time around but were GREAT movies from the get-go, The Goonies wasn't good when it came out and it isn't good now, IMO - but you wouldn't know that from the folks who saw it in their formative years - for them, it is an all-time classic. Hope this makes sense.
So in essence you just have a problem with the 1980's generation taste in films produced in that decade by calling them classics today. ;)

In seriousness, you've made that point beforehand about such films like The Goonies so I'll leave that generation of filmlovers to argue that point if need be.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
So in essence you just have a problem with the 1980's generation taste in films produced in that decade by calling them classics today. ;)

In seriousness, you've made that point beforehand about such films like The Goonies so I'll leave that generation of filmlovers to argue that point if need be.
I don't have a problem with anything - I'm just an observer in the passing parade. :) They called them classics back then - they had no idea they were flops and still have no idea apparently :)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's absolutely true that USED CARS was a box office failure, I think it only lasted one week in first run theaters in Manhattan, but I don't see what that has to do with the quality of the film itself. USED CARS was number #5 on Dave Kehr's ten best list for 1980, in between THE BIG RED ONE & QUADROPHENIA. I believe Andrew Sarris had nice things to say about USED CARS as well. Billy Wilder's ACE IN THE HOLE was a tremendous box office failure also, or if you prefer, bomb, yet today most film historians consider the film one of his best. I think the same re-appraisal has happened to USED CARS. It's not about nostalgia, but rather quality. I also recall (though I was only seven at the time) that Hitchcock's VERTIGO was not only a box office failure, but panned by most critics in the US at the time. Today it is considered the greatest film ever made, at least according to the Sight & Sound poll. Who knows? In another twenty or thirty years, the same may happen to USED CARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks