What's new

Frank Miller's Sin City Recut & Extended (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey dave,

I am running out but I just popped it in for a minute with the 'phones on and right off the bat with Josh Hartnett's dialog it is very noticeable. Not with his voiceover or the girl's dialog though. It is a background noise thingy under his dialog but it sounds very digital and processed. When he finishes a line it goes away but then comes right back at the next line. I used to record sound with an old school Nagra on film shoots and it sounds like maybe normal background room tone from the set that is passing through a digital noise gate.
It is in many other parts of the film. I'll check more later. If you have good headphones it's very easy to hear.

:) d

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Its probably some noise that was in the backround when filming. I hear things similar to this all the time. Some movies have perfect dialog and great ADR. Its disapointing that big budget movies like this and Star Wars can have some crummy voice recording.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I never said throw everything back in. Plus, there wasn't a whole lot to put in. And since the stories are divided up now, the 'slow the movie down' thing is pretty much not valid. I made a list of alot of things they 'left out', and they're little bits here and there that actually expand alot of things.

Besides, those parts don't slow the comic book down, so why would they slow the movie down. It makes for a more accurate translation, and that isn't a bad thing.

Review at IGN DVD.

While it's a nice set, the fact that 18 of the 23 minutes of longer running time is consumed by seperate credits crawls - running 4:20-4:45 ea. - is a kick in the shins, but it's hard to market "Now with 7 more minutes!" and if they'd been tacked on as separate deleted scenes, there'd be rioting.

EDIT: I caught an error in my figuring and the actually amount of new and extended scenes is about 10-1/2 minutes. That's better, but still nowhere near what was advertised.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I didn't see Sin City, but I'll pick up this set because
of the Rodriguez/ Tarantino commentary. They were alot of
fun on the From Dusk Till Dawn disc. I just hope I like the
film- I rarely blind buy.;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Dave Mack,

I finally heard what you're talking about (on the HT system, not using headphones). It's much less pronounced on the DTS track but is audible on both. I'll be sure to make mention in my new review.

BTW, AV quality of the "extended" version is identical to the (dolby digital) original in every way I can see/hear.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Wow, I just watched the original version tonight and it was magnificent.

I was having a heck of a good time throughout the entire picture. I enjoyed the first story the most, the 2nd story the least(it was still good), and the 3rd story somewhere in the middle.

However, I have to agree on the audio problems. It seemed like with every bit of dialoge I could hear a hiss and it drove me crazy. I'm running an Axiom VP150 center and a Denon 3803 receiver. I have not noticed a problem like this before.

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
I have no qualms with the amount of footage re-inserted, I am more angry about how the film has been marketed, stating "over 20 minutes of additional footage", which is blatantly deceptive.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yuh know....

I absolutely loved Sin City the first
time I watched it on DVD.

I was all set to go out and buy the extended
cut but have now changed my mind.

I'm not overly excited over the fact that they
have split the stories up into separate chapters.
I would have much rather had the entire film flow
as one story.

Unless I hear a huge amount of praise from
the membership, I am going to sit out on this DVD.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ron, the SE has the original version of the movie as well, on disc 1, in case you were assuming that the only way to have that cut was to keep the first DVD release. The extended/separate-chapters cut is on disc 2 of the SE.

James D

Second Unit
Since I already have the single disc version, I think that I'll pass on this set for the time being. There have been so many great deals as of late on older titles(example: Alien Quadrilogy for $30 at Costco) that I haven't been able to take advantage of because I already own the title, I think that I'll wait and see if I can score it for around $15 a few months down the road.:)

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
So how many times does Tarantino say "alright" on the commentary? When I get the DVD I'll be keeping track, but I don't know if I can count that high.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit

It's not clear to me. Is the chapter-based version of the movie the only way to see the additional footage? I held out, too, and now I might just buy the original version. This thing with the credits being included in the additional run time is hokey.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes, to see the extra footage, you have to do the "chapter" version, which I personally feel ruins the "movie" feel of the film.

IMO, the bonus material is the real reason to get this disc. The lack of DTS on the "extended" chapters-version doesn't exactly make me jump for joy either.

The good news is that the original (DTS) version of the movie is on disc one in its unblemished form.

Review up soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks