What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CEyKsT4U8sOfAJwFdXmYVbLIHshlUU_large.jpg

This unorthodox dream western by Robert Altman may be the most radically beautiful film to come out of the New American Cinema. It stars Warren Beatty and Julie Christie as two newcomers to the raw Pacific Northwest mining town of Presbyterian Church, who join forces to provide the miners with a superior kind of whorehouse experience. The appearance of representatives for a powerful mining company with interests of its own, however, threatens to be the undoing of their plans. With its fascinating, flawed characters, evocative cinematography by the great Vilmos Zsigmond, innovative overlapping dialogue, and haunting use of Leonard Cohen songs, McCabe & Mrs. Millerbrilliantly deglamorized and revitalized the most American of genres.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 121 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.40:1
  • English
  • Spine #827

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary from 2002 featuring director Robert Altman and producer David Foster
    • Making-of documentary, featuring members of the cast and crew
    • Conversation about the film and Altman’s career between film historians Cari Beauchamp and Rick Jewell
    • Featurette from the film’s 1970 production
    • Art Directors Guild Film Society Q&A from 1999 with production designer Leon Ericksen
    • Excerpts from archival interviews with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond
    • Gallery of stills from the set by photographer Steve Schapiro
    • Excerpts from two 1971 episodes of The Dick Cavett Show featuring Altman and film critic Pauline Kael
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by novelist and critic Nathaniel Rich

Cover by Jon Contino

February 6, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The first film of one of America's great auteurs on 4K UHD, but they chose the one, where Vilmos Zsigmond did his best to wreck the picture quality: “We didn’t want it to look good. The whole idea was to make some old, faded pictures.....If they had movies in those days [they] would look faded away, scratchy, grainy and very soft and no contrast. That’s why we used the flashing technique to underexpose the film.”

I'm not complaining that Criterion is putting this out on 4K UHD, but I hope and pray that more Altman on 4K UHD will subsequently follow!

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well there's no HDR listed and Vilmos's cinematography choices usually aren't too 4k friendly so I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well there's no HDR listed and Vilmos's cinematography choices usually aren't too 4k friendly so I wouldn't expect a whole lot.
I don’t envision HDR would be beneficial, so it seems they made the right decision. I’m actually eager to take this one on for a review.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Will the bluray be derived from the UHD master?
The blu-ray of the film will probably be exactly the same as the previous 2016 Criterion blu-ray. Criterion occasionally upgrade the blu-rays of previously released titles, paired with a 4K UHD, with a new scan: The Rules of the Game and Videodrome received newly scanned masters for the blu-rays, but McCabe & Mrs. Miller was derived from a 4K master. So unlikely.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[…]
I'm not complaining that Criterion is putting this out on 4K UHD, but I hope and pray that more Altman on 4K UHD will subsequently follow!
Such as Robert Altman’s “Health” (1980).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Will Disney ever acquiese to Criterion? If so, then I elect a 4K/UHD of Robert Altman’s M*A*S*H. It’s time has come. Otherwise, “Gosford Park” or “Vincent and Theo” (inclusive of the 200 minute television version).

Until then, I’m all in for a 4K/UHD of “McCabe & Mrs. Miller” which was voted as the Top 100 films for the centenary year of The American Society of Cinematographers.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My favorite film from Robert Altman. I watched the 4K disc this morning, and it looks great.
Very pleased with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks