What's new

Frank Miller's Sin City Recut & Extended (1 Viewer)

Lane_S

Agent
I'm willing to bet that the graphic novel is a shrunk down "DVD size so that it fits in the nice slipcover" version like they did with Constatine. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I highly doubt that it's the full size version that you buy for $17. As such, it's not going to raise costs that much, and we all know that the set will be available everywhere for $25-$28, especially first week since retailers will be doing a last minute Christmas sale push.

I'm really looking forward to this as I only rented the DVD once, knowing that this was coming by year's end (per Rodriguez in an interview). One thing that's not clear from the blurb is if they are still going to have the feature allowing you to break the extended version up into the various single stories. That will be amazing if it works as planned.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

It's pretty clear to me. It plainly says: "Recut and extended theatrical release - separated into four stories"...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Actually, that might be what they end up doing. They already shrunk the trades down for the last round of releases, not quite to digest size, but smaller than a standard TPB. Now Sin City can probably survive being shrunk a little more than other stuff (e.g. Kabuki, Marvels) but any smaller than what's out there and it'll be that much harder to read and appreciate.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I wonder if "That Yellow Bastard" will be the first or the last story in the sequence? I thought it was a terrific bookend (Not counting the bookend-bookends with Josh Hartnett) for the film, given the amount of time it spans.

I'm drooling over the prospect of an extended cut, but somehow I doubt it will work as well in a non-intercut, New York Stories kind of linear presentation. I thought the way the stories were unobtrusively woven together was one of the theatrical cut's greatest strengths. But we'll see.

--Jefferson Morris

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson, I agree. I thought the theatrical cut flowed perfectly. Which is why it's important it's preserved on this SE. I'm thinking "The Customer is Always Right" will be the first story.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the separating-into-four-stories business seems a little perplexing to me...what's there to separate? You have Marv meeting the Old Town girls who show up in The Big Fat Kill, but that scene is crucial for The Hard Goodbye because it's where we find out who Wendy is. There's the brief bit in Hard Goodbye where Shellie first sees Dwight, and I suppose it isn't really necessary, but it's very short, and his lines about Marv being born in the wrong century are great. There isn't much in the movie as it is now that's only there for the sake of inter-weaving.

Edit: Aside from uniting the two parts of Yellow Bastard, that is. But that's the only instance where any the three main stories really do get separated into different parts of the movie.

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought the original knowing this was coming, so I can't complain about the double dip. But it still annoys me that they didn't announce this first. I think that's a poor move on the studio's part.

As for the graphic novel-- I hope we'll see a choice between an edition with it and an edition without it, as I already own all seven books. But I suspect I'll be buying the DVD either way.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, there really isn't any interweaving going on. This is how the movie breaks down:

The Customer Is Always Right
That Yellow Bastard (first half)
The Big Fat Kill
The Hard Goodbye
That Yellow Bastard (second half)
original segment

Combining the two "Bastard" parts is the only change made by seperating the chapters. Everything else was self-contained within the movie itself.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Remember that these stories are also extended. Dwight's speech about Marv doesn't go in Marv's story, it goes in one of his. that might get yanked out. It might get put back in his. There's a couple pages of Marv's story that were cut out, that'll be reintroduced. maybe there'll be something added to the Customer is always right bookends to make them more of a story? There should be some significant footage added back to ALL of these stories, going from the comics. They were very faithful adaptations, so faithful there wasn't even a screenwriter credit, since they used the books as storyboards, but stuff was still cut out.

if I remember correctly, the way Rodriguez first told it, it won't be like one big movie, it'll be 4 short films with their own chapter breaks. if you want, you can watch them all as one movie via the theatrical cut, but the extended versions of each story aren't really meant to be watched in order one right after the other as one continuous movie.

i'm hoping that's how it goes down.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It definitely seems as if the extended version will be viewable as one film, although there's nothing stopping you from watching the chapters seperately.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure all the intersecting storylines will remain exactly where they are. Why can't Dwight talk about Marv when he sees him? It's not like they're trying to have tunnel vision and make it like no other Sin City story exists, they're just going to have each story be able to be accessed separately. The only things that will probably be rearranged are the prologue and the epilogue. After that, I'd imagine they will only add to the movie.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If I'm remembering the books correctly, Dwights lines about Marv actually take place during "A Dame To Kill For", rumored to be in produciton as Sin City 2. Dwight saying this in the film is actually one of the only glaring deviations from the source books, as Dwight is quite different in ADTKF than he is in this movie and "The Big Fat Kill". The lines though, are a perfect description of Marv, and do work well in the film.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
You're right, it's Bald Dwight who says that about Marv.

I'm sorta hoping they cut it out on the extended, because that monologue is the perfect preamble to Dwight's approaching Marv to help him in Dame to Kill For.

That's just me, though ;) I can see Rodriguez just repeating the same thing in Sin City 2.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I can actually see Robert Rodriguez omitting that line from the theatrical version of "A Dame To Kill For" and restoring it for the inevitable "extended" DVD.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Damn, I didn't remember that at all. I remembered that Dame to Kill for was Dwight (as was Hell and Back, right), but that's about it. I should really go back and re-read all of my Sin City comics again-don't think I've gone back to some of em since the first release.

As for the single film/4 shorts approach-at least there's a choice here. It will be interesting to see if some scenes are repeated in the separated stories, or whether they were shot twice from 2 different POVs, and will be used that way (like they were in the comics).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Wow, I'm so glad I did the right thing for once and held off on the initial release.

What's great is I liked this movie enough that I'll be able to sit down and watch the theatrical cut, and proably watch the extended version the next day. It drives me crazy when I let time pass and I can't be certain what's different in the cuts.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they'll fix the audio problem many people have discussed in the review thread of the current disc (which, for some reason, I failed to hear in my system)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks