What's new

Fox: Please Drop DTS-MA for Dolby TrueHD (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Sorry I have not had internet access for awhile so I am just now able to comment on this reply. Up till now there has been no way to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. Anyone with a DTS decoder however could still decode the legacy DTS core. And while that is not going to give you the lossless audio track. It still lets someone use the DTS-HD disc but it would be better if the master audio track could be decoded.

I am not to happy about how long it has taken to get DTS-HD Master Audio decoding to market. How ever the past few weeks has seen receivers from Onkyo, Pioneer Elite and Denon actually reaching retail shelves. I am going to start saving for a new receiver with HDMI 1.3 and the new lossless decoding. I love the fact that this thread still seems to be going even though Fox has not droped DTS-HD Master Audio and is still releasing titles offering lossless DTS, LMAO.

But I agree that it was not good! And I do not think there has been any HD-DVD releases here in the US that has any DTS-HD MA tracks ether. There is how ever a good number of Fox titles on Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA tracks.

And as far as HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles with Dolby True HD goes, get ready for it Peter THX..........
Peter knows very well what I think of Dolby Digital, but I have to say I am very impressed with Dolby True HD. And I wish there where more titles with Dolby True HD instead of Dolby Digital Plus.

But back to DTS-HD Master Audio, I hope more studios will offer DTS-HD MA tracks and that more hardware will come out that will decode the lossless track. And I just want to thank Fox for offering DTS-HD MA when other studios havn't. I will continue to seek out Fox titles for my HD collection that offer DTS-HD MA.

Robert George

Screenwriter

Cool. You will need to save for a new Blu-ray player also. Not only will the $500 Sony Blu-ray player you have listed in your sig NOT decode either DTS Master or TrueHD, it won't pass them as bitstream to your future new receiver either. Although your first gen HD DVD will decode TrueHD, it won't do much with DTS Master either, not that that is much of an issue on HD DVD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Mmmm I thought I was supposed to pass Dolby True HD and I was hoping that it would pass DTS-HD MA. Can anyone with the Sony BDP-S300 and a new receiver verify this?

Are there any current Blu-ray players that will pass DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD? And do the new HD-DVD players pass DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD to a receiver? I am going to save for a nice Denon receiver but I also want to try and save for the Denon Blu-ray as well. If HD-DVD is around long enough I will upgrade my HD-A1 as well.

And I think the DTS-HD MA void on HD-DVD is going to end soon. According to DVD Empire this is the info on Battlestar Galactica Season 1 on HD-DVD.

Video:
Widescreen 1.78:1 ColorAudio:
ENGLISH: DD-Plus 5.1
ENGLISH: DT-HD 5.1
Subtitles:
English, French Studio: Universal Studios
Production Year: 2004
Release Date: 12/4/2007

Rating: NR
Number of Discs: 6
Item Code: 61101130
UPC Code: 025195009607
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...1362555&pass=1

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
...but it doesn't mention DTS-HD MA anywhere in there. :)

DT-HD stands for "Dolby TrueHD" -- all of the specs I can find on Google for the Battlestar Galactica set (TVShowsOnDVD.com, for example) list TrueHD as an option.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It will when New Line starts releasing catalog titles starting with Pans Labyrinth. They seem to like that format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks