What's new

Found receiver, need speakers (1 Viewer)

ScottSchrader

Auditioning
Just getting in to my first home theater, I have spent a month or so figuring out what receiver I want. Which will be a Onkyo TX-SR600. Now I need speakers. Should I buy 2 here and 2 there, or should I buy a 6 speaker set? Any advice would be a great. I have around $500 to spend.

Thank You.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Scott:

If I were you, I'd try to get the most speaker for my buck when considering the main R/L. Since you are considering a complete speaker set, I assume bookshelf speakers are what you want (We won't even talk about floorstanding speakers).

Try to find the best bookshelf R/L speakers that you can afford at this time (I'm sure other folks will recommend their favorite brand). Then try to build on those. Next get a matching center channel, then a subwoofer and finally the surrounds. Matching the center channel to the R/L mains is always recommended. Don't worry too much about matching the sub and surrounds to the mains.

Good Luck!

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Check out HiFi.com - the online site for Cambridge Soundworks. I think the MC 300's and MC200's fit into your price range and they have a great sound

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
HMM about $750 Canadian. I doubt you are going to get much qualtiy at that price for 6 speakers. Even 5 Atoms (which I have as rears and love don't get me wong) and a Center is gonna run close or over your budget.

Either go used or I would suggest picking up the best quality fronts you can get for that price. Remeber although bookshelves may be cheaper by the time you add a set of good quality stands you can probably get a comperable tower speaker for the same price. Then when you buget allows get the center. You can always add a set of inexpensive or used rears and not notice a lack of quality nearly as much as in the fronts.

Just from my recent searching for $500 you could probably squeez into some b&W bookshelves, Paradigm Monitior 5s with stands (or maybe the 7s like I have if you dealer is in a dealing mood) Energy C5s or C3s PSB has some out there that fit. Tons of choice.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
"...utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in our Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, and allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros."
So, add them to your audition list,
Phil

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
May I suggest the Energy Take 5+1's they can be found new online for less than 500 bux these days and they are truely awesome speakers. if you want to see what they look like check out my link in my signature. These are truely an awesome package. They've taken best sub/sat system I think it was either 4 or 5 years in a row from several magazines. They feature a 100watt rms/400 watt peak 8" subwoofer with 4 matched satellites and a matched center channel all rated at 100watts each. I run them off of a Yamaha RX-V730 and it makes for a very very powerful combination.

Alan M

Second Unit
May I humbley suggest the fluance sx-htb system.I,and many other members of this forum own this system and are still in awe of just how good this system sounds.
For the price$269,yes $269,the sound is truly amazing.1 of the other members who also owns much more expensive speakers said,that if he closed his eyes,they sounded as if he spent $1000 or more.

www.fluance.com

Happy shopping and my your ears be the judge

ScottSchrader

Auditioning
Thanks everyone!

Now I really dont know what speakers to get:)

I looked at everybodys post. Going to have to go listen to some of them in the stores. And go from there.

Thanks again.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks