What's new

Need assistance on buying a 5.1 pc speakers system to enjoy my Blu-rays/4k Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello all.
I'm in a kind of a desperate need of assistance.
I'm a novice as far as speakers and A/V receivers are concerned, and things seem so complicated to me. :wacko:
I recently bought a pc with this motherboard:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z590-vision-g_1002_210527_e.pdf
I already have a 42'' 4K monitor.

I'd like to buy a 5.1 speaker system that can decode DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD audio (I was leaning on the Logitech z906 speakers but I just found out that they don't support HD audio).
So, what do I need to buy if my budget is, let's say, 1000 euros at the most?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Asuming your computer has HDMI passthrough you could try a YHT-4950DAB. I don't know how much those cost in euros though.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thanks for your reply.
This is the back of my motherboard. So, I need only that HDMI port, that is unused right now? I won't be using those colored audio jacks?
20210208121835_09cc6118.jpeg

The price is good, within my limits and much lower.
Unfortunately I cannot find a store that ships them to Greece. :(

edit: Oh, I found one for YHT-4950U (I don't know what is the difference with 4950DAB but it can't be much). It's 950 euros with shipping, however customs is not included.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes you would just have to plug in your computer into the reciever using one HDMI cable (HDMI transmits both video and sound information) and then connect your monitor into the reciever's HDMI out.

Now the YHT-4950U is the US model, I don't know if it would work with 50hz voltages without some sort of transformer adapter. Good luck.

YANG

Screenwriter
Thanks for your reply.
This is the back of my motherboard. So, I need only that HDMI port, that is unused right now? I won't be using those colored audio jacks?
20210208121835_09cc6118.jpeg

The price is good, within my limits and much lower.
Unfortunately I cannot find a store that ships them to Greece. :(

edit: Oh, I found one for YHT-4950U (I don't know what is the difference with 4950DAB but it can't be much). It's 950 euros with shipping, however customs is not included.
for a moment, the logitech Z906 package comes into mind. however, due to the absence of HDMI2.0(minimum requirement for Atmos and DTS-X) in the system controller, i would just skip recommending you on that unless you have a dedicated sound card that do dual format processing...

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Does anyone own any of these 2 sets? (I'm between these 2)

Pioneer HTP-076 5.1​

Onkyo HT-S3910 5.1​

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unless you somehow want some kinda (mediocre, hackjob?) Atmos/DTS-X for this setup, I'd probably stick w/ the Yamaha suggestion instead.

At least long ago in the past, Yamaha seemed quite good at producing reasonably good, natural sounding gear for this range. Pioneer and Onkyo also seemed quite popular for HTiB of course (maybe more so than Yamaha), but I'm not aware that they're known for good fidelity sound in this range -- Onkyo, in particular, seemed like they're better known for stout power in their AVRs than anything. But these days, Pioneer and (probably especially) Onkyo aren't what they once were.

Specific to these models, the Yamaha set includes a (albeit only 50W) powered "sub" -- none of them likely offer true subs, but the Yamaha one probably comes a bit closer since it uses its own dedicated, built-in amp to drive a "larger" 8" woofer whereas the other 2 options do not (and use even smaller woofers), so that won't tax the AVR's power capability like the other 2 would, if you ever actually drive the system all that hard. Of course, if you ever want/try to upgrade the speakers, especially the sub, this diff may or may not matter at that point at all.

But really, you likely won't find out which is best w/out trying them out for yourself -- there just aren't any reasonably reliable reviews for them.

_Man_

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Alas, I can't find that Yamaha model in my country.
The closest to Yamaha I can find is this:
I checked the manual though, and I'm not sure that it supports DTS-HD MA, which is the audio codec of most blu-rays/UHDs.
edit: Oh, yes. I just found out in another forum that it doesn't support HD audio generally. So... :(

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Very odd that it doesn't seem to support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. It does handle multichannel-PCM, so you could probably always just set your source devices to decode to that before sending to the AVR, if you go w/ this HTiB -- most/all source devices seem to be able, but just make sure all your source devices can do that properly though, if you go this route.

That site also has the YHT-4960 (costing another ~100 euros more) that's probably (somewhat?) better -- the AVR seems more powerful and more up-to-date, but you might not necessarily benefit much from that for your purposes (maybe unless/until you later upgrade the speakers or something). No idea what the Pioneer and Onkyo HTiBs cost, but if that YHT-4960 costs similar enough, then I'd probably go w/ that.

_Man_

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
That site also has the YHT-4960
Not available in my country too, unfortunately. (I live in Greece).
No idea what the Pioneer and Onkyo HTiBs cost
680 euros, so it's in that price range.

I can go with these:

Yamaha RX-V4A +​

Yamaha speakers NS-P41​

which are sold separately. (801 euros in total)
But you know, a silly thing actually:
The speakers have a long wire which you cut according to your needs, and I don't know how to cut it. (and I don't have the tools). :unsure:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Cutting speaker wire is the easiest thing in the world - we can help you with that. If you have a regular old pair of household scissors, that’s the only tool you need.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wire strippers are very cheap. I wouldn't recommend using scissors unless you have a delicate touch.

Also you'll need to buy some banana plugs for the positive and negative outputs of those wires.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not available in my country too, unfortunately. (I live in Greece).

680 euros, so it's in that price range.

I can go with these:

Yamaha RX-V4A +​

Yamaha speakers NS-P41​

which are sold separately. (801 euros in total)
But you know, a silly thing actually:
The speakers have a long wire which you cut according to your needs, and I don't know how to cut it. (and I don't have the tools). :unsure:

Not sure it's really worth going that route (pricewise) for HTiB. Seems that RX-V4A is virtually identical to the TSR-400 in the YHT-4960 package, except the TSR-400 might actually be a bit more powerful -- the specs at Yamaha's site seem a bit confusing for the YHT-4960's receiver.

Sounds like you'd be paying for those 2 as separate items, not a discounted HTiB combo package, right?

Personally, if not getting some significant discount for such package, I'd probably recommend going some other route instead... though no idea what's really available to you in Greece.

One thing: I don't normally recommend soundbar systems, but given you're probably just using your PC as source and might not be sitting that far from your 42" display nor probably in a space all that large, have you consider a soundbar system instead? Seems like that's what the market's been shifting toward for what you're looking/wanting. Maybe that might make more sense for your purposes... and then just save some $ for when you might go substantially bigger/better in the future (or something else entirely) perhaps.

BUT if you're actually already thinking of this as your 1st step toward that "substantially bigger/better" future setup, then ok, I/we might suggest something else instead, eg. probably better choices for the front speakers and maybe forget the essentially fake sub (and maybe also center speaker) for now...

_Man_

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Does your pc have a graphics card? You plug the hdmi into that instead of the motherboard.

What's the end goal for speakers? Only 5.1 or perhaps even Dolby atmos 5.1.2? If the latter don't get a 5.1 receiver.

Denon and yamaha are the two most popular choices around here and other forums.

Maybe you can even get 2.0 and expand from there when you save up and be able to afford.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thank you all for your replies.
Also you'll need to buy some banana plugs for the positive and negative outputs of those wires.
I don't need banana plugs. You connect the wires as they are. I've checked the manuals.

have you consider a soundbar system instead?
I'm not fond of soundbars, unfortunately..
Does your pc have a graphics card? You plug the hdmi into that instead of the motherboard.

What's the end goal for speakers? Only 5.1 or perhaps even Dolby atmos 5.1.2? If the latter don't get a 5.1 receiver.
Yes, I have a graphics card and I have connected the monitor onto that.
Well, only 5.1. I don't think I'll update ever to Atmos. After all, I particularly listen to original audio tracks and I only buy old films. Up to the 90s anyway.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't need banana plugs. You connect the wires as they are. I've checked the manuals.

Banana plugs (or spade lugs or some other quality termination) would be a bit better (and nicer), but probably not absolutely necessary, particularly for this level of audio I imagine.

I've used bare wires for a pair of cheap bookshelves for surrounds for many years myself (in the same system w/ much better, audiophile level gear). Works alright enough for that particular purpose, especially if trying to keep the budget very low and aren't often changing or rearranging/moving the speakers (and needing to reconnect them).

I'm not fond of soundbars, unfortunately.

NP. I don't normally recommend such (and wouldn't use such for myself) either.

Yes, I have a graphics card and I have connected the monitor onto that.
Well, only 5.1. I don't think I'll update ever to Atmos. After all, I particularly listen to original audio tracks and I only buy old films. Up to the 90s anyway.

In that case, do/will you also listen to much of any music in stereo via this setup?

Particularly if yes, I'd definitely suggest considering doing this piecemeal as I also mentioned earlier... since you can't seem to get a particularly good deal on a HTiB package anyway. Get a good AVR (ie. receiver) and a truly good pair of speakers for the fronts first. IF you have a cheap, old pair of bookshelves lying around, used that for the surrounds instead to save $ (and only upgrade this last) -- otherwise, get a decent, (very) affordable pair that comes reasonably close to matching the front speakers.

Will this setup usually only be used by you alone? IF so, you should definitely be fine to make do w/out a center speaker for a long while -- probably make that the last piece to add, if so.

When you've saved enough, add a true sub (that you won't get w/ these HTiBs) that would probably cost upwards of $400-500USD at least -- the larger your HT/listening space, the bigger/better (and more expensive) sub you'd want/need. Since you're mostly interested in older movies, they are probably less (sub)bass heavy, so you might get by holding off on a true sub for a long while as long as you get some good front speakers -- I went w/out a sub for many years myself... though my main/front speakers (Vandersteen 2Ci's) did offer pretty good bass extension that you probably won't be able to get on your budget even if buying used nowadays.

Not sure what (else) is readily available where you are in Greece, but looks like ELAC for one has a dealer/distributor there. IF you can find them, a (hopefully discounted) pair of Debut 2.0 bookshelves would probably be a good start:

ELAC speakers are fairly often discounted by 20-30% over here in the USA, but no idea over in Greece.

IF you could afford more, then maybe the UniFi 2.0 bookshelves or Debut 2.0 floorstanders, but they won't fit in your stated 1000 euros max budget since you still need to buy an AVR.

And just try recycling an old pair of bookshelves for surrounds -- buy an inexpensive, used pair if need be.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF actually considering the piecemeal building route (more or less), but definitely can't save/spend upwards of $400-500USD for a sub for foreseeable future, maybe something like this would make sense to go w/ something like the ELAC Debut 2.0 bookshelves, especially since you're mainly interested in older, (probably) less bass-heavy movies:

They seem to ship to Greece, but no idea what's the cost for shipping there.

IF you can't get the ELAC bookshelves, maybe just a pair of these from Monoprice to keep it simpler (and shipped together w/ the sub):

A pair of those plus that sub and the Yamaha V4A/TSR400 AVR would probably stretch your budget a little bit beyond your original intended limit.

And then just scavenge a pair of cheap, old bookshelves for the surrounds.

Later, you can get this for the center (to match those front channel Monoprice bookshelves), if you actually find/feel the need:

OR if you go w/ the ELAC option, they have comparable center in Debut 2.0 series to match...

_Man_

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Well, eventually I bought the Pioneer HTP-076 for 650 euros. I had very limited options here where I am.
I have a question though:

I'm just trying my different blurays and play with the different settings.
I have some Blurays that are LPCM mono.
Should I hear those only from the center speaker?
Because I hear them only from the 2 front speakers. That means that the audio is dual mono?

Are there blurays in mono that you hear them only through the center speaker alone?

edit: Oh, I should select mono from the receiver and now I hear the bluray only from the center speaker.
I guess that's that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Normally you select Dolby Surround or Dolby Pro Logic to play back mono soundtracks.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Unfortunately I had a bad experience with the PIONEER.
All was good for 4 days (though I needed to raise the volume of the subwoofer a bit, as it didn't have enough bass as I wanted it).
After 4 days it began a noise from all the speakers (and the headphones when I plugged them in - so it is a problem with the receiver itself and not the speakers) and still I'm waiting after one month for news from where they sent it to look at it..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks