What's new

Favorite Covers In Your Library (1 Viewer)

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
1663476953967.png

This is my other favorite go-to DVD set of Ernie Kovacs. I looked forward to each episode as they were shown on PBS in 1977. Besides being my introduction to Kovacs, and discovering how much his humor resonated with me, my Dad would watch this series with me. He told me that he was the only one in the family who watched these shows when they first aired in the 50s and early 60s, making me feel that it was cool to be among those who "got" the Kovacs groove.

I also have the sets that Shout! has released, which are essential for Kovacs fans. If only there were more tapes hidden away in a salt mine waiting to be discovered instead of having been wiped and discarded. I can dream that they're hiding someplace with the missing original assembly of The Magnificent Ambersons.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My favorite DVD covers are The Brady Bunch season sets with the Lenticular covers so when you tilt them at an angle it appears the Bradys are moving their heads up and down or side to side like in the opening credits.

View attachment 154197

OT-- how long did Paramount's television offerings on DVD have that "Paramount Television" brand (unrelated to that studio's small-screen arm by that name that was formerly Desilu)?

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
When I bought this all-in-one variation (the "shag rug" box) of the complete series of The Brady Bunch, I first saw it as a self-referential comment on the series and the Seventies. Could there be another comment on the Seventies, seeing the resemblance the "rug" has to something stashed by with-it kids of the time?

1663525276250.png

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
In the 1990s, TNT had a (floating?) timeslot dedicated to cult movies that was called 100% Weird. I have always enjoyed "so bad, they're good" movies. 100% Weird notably had a New Year's Day tradition of playing schlock-umentaries especially the Schick-Sunn ones with ominous Brad Crandall narrations as counter-programming to the marathons of vintage Twilight Zone and Honeymooners.

I'm not certain that TNT 100% Weird is where I first saw the schlock-and shock-umentary Mondo Cane. My parents had the soundtrack LP which was all I knew about the movie for many years. The movie had developed a mythic quality because I had not seen it, only heard the music, studied the LP jacket, and read articles about it. It became a quest of sorts, I guess. So, when Blue Underground released Mondo Cane along with the other Jacopetti/Prosperi "documentaries" almost 20 years ago, I had to own the box set. I long hoped for a Blu-ray release. After all this time, I doubt it will ever happen. Now, if only all the Schick-Sunn documentaries could be released in a box set.

1663538266326.png

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Ron, you just made me think about selling my all-in-one Brady Bunch and picking up those lenticular covers 🤔
LOL Not-so-funny story: I actually purchased the season sets when they first came out. Then, they released the all-in-one shag carpeting release with the bonus disc containing the TV movie and the cartoon show! I really wanted that bonus disc so bad so I sold my season sets and purchased the complete series set! Big mistake! I instantly regretted what I had done. I really hated the cardboard folder that the discs came in because it was really flimsy. It was coming apart, and the glue was sticking to the discs. Plus, I really missed the lenticular covers, so I re-purchased then all over again and sold the complete series--after I made a copy of the bonus disc! Love the photos used inside the cases, too!

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
i have the monkee‘s set but its in really bad shape . bought it off a guy for 100 just when Peter Tork died and prices on these hadn‘t start to skyrocket . its probably the last set i’ll sell if i have to

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
i have the monkee‘s set but its in really bad shape . bought it off a guy for 100 just when Peter Tork died and prices on these hadn‘t start to skyrocket . its probably the last set i’ll sell if i have to

You got it at the right time-- Amazon has it going for $800 now.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
yea , i got really lucky bc thats when people were selling off the damaged sets for cheap and were receiving the replacement sets from Rhino. mine was a damaged set from a local guy . i think thats why they sold out so fast . the replacement sets were probably just sets from existing stock and not a whole new run . ebays a little bit better and tends to go about 400 now since Rhino had that new found stock a little while ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks